The Rally Point (discussion and questions)

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

ggarynorman
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Protocol for replaying turn

Post by ggarynorman »

Hi Pete,

I am aware of the fairly recent and extensive discussions on this matter. I am playing in a league match and I left the game mid way for a few hours. I then finished my turn. When I tried to send I got an error message. I tried about a half a dozen times over the next few hours to no avail.

I redid the turn is the same order as far as I could with largely the same result.
I took a screenshot of the error message.
I advised my opponent by in game messaging but got no reply.

My question is, is there an established protocol for such unforeseen incidents? or would the above suffice?

Cheers

Gary
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Protocol for replaying turn

Post by stockwellpete »

ggarynorman wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:30 pm Hi Pete,

I am aware of the fairly recent and extensive discussions on this matter. I am playing in a league match and I left the game mid way for a few hours. I then finished my turn. When I tried to send I got an error message. I tried about a half a dozen times over the next few hours to no avail.

I redid the turn is the same order as far as I could with largely the same result.

My question is, is there an established protocol for such unforeseen incidents? or would the above suffice?

Cheers

Gary
There is no protocol as such and what you have done is sufficient as far as I am concerned. It would be better to save your turn in future rather than leave the game still open for a couple of hours as the server may time you out for that turn. :wink:
LuciusSulla
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Protocol for replaying turn

Post by LuciusSulla »

stockwellpete wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:37 pm
ggarynorman wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:30 pm Hi Pete,

Cheers

Gary
There is no protocol as such and what you have done is sufficient as far as I am concerned. It would be better to save your turn in future rather than leave the game still open for a couple of hours as the server may time you out for that turn. :wink:
I've been in that situation as well. I believe there is no option to save the turn there. The only options are to retry upload or abandon upload and replay the turn (or last time you uploaded the turn to the server).

I also believe that saving the turn to the server uses the same upload procedure as finishing your turn and upload to the server. So if the connection is not good enough for finishing the turn, it would also be the case for saving the turn.
oscarius
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: The Rally Point (discussion and questions)

Post by oscarius »

Larger point sizes also make enemy troop selection predictable. 1200 you need to think carefully about what units your foe will pick and how to counter them (and agonise over your own selections too). At higher points you use the same list every game (even buying units ill-suited to the match up simply because you have nothing else to spend points on).

To me the solution would be some sort of scaling of unit allowance with higher points so the composition of armies stays the same as it would in lower points but you also get the additional room to manoeuvre and disincentivising of camping. What tbh doesn't seem a huge problem to me. I've only had one or two matches in my years of playing when I thought an opponent unreasonably camped against me. I think most players are inclined to throw the dice and have some fun (and maybe even surprise themselves and win) even if they feel the terrain doesn't favour their army.
LuciusSulla

Post by LuciusSulla »

oscarius wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:51 am To me the solution would be some sort of scaling of unit allowance with higher points
It's already this way :D
oscarius

Post by oscarius »

Oh good. It might be my imagination then because I swear at higher points my army composition ended up looking very samey with only two or three units unpurchased if I spent everything.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Themed Event stats Season 10 . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

Just a few numbers from the Seleucid Themed Event . . .

Match-ups (wins-draws-defeats)
1) Seleucid (320 BC-) v Indian (500 BC-) 7-0-9
2) Seleucid (302 BC-) v Antigonid (320 BC-) 7-0-9
3) Seleucid (300 BC-) v Pergamene (262 BC-) 10-0-6
4) Seleucid (205 BC-) v Ptolemaic (217 BC-) 5-0-3
5) Seleucid (205 BC-) v Roman (199 BC-) 2-0-2

Overall, Seleucid 31 v "The Enemies" 29. So a pretty good set of match-ups overall, I think. :wink:
ianiow
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by ianiow »

Hi Pete,
I seem to remember that there was talk of not allowing a player to select an army/nation that he had played in previous seasons. Is this still a thing? I have had a brief skim of the rules and cannot find it in there.

Cheers,
Ian
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

ianiow wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:43 pm Hi Pete,
I seem to remember that there was talk of not allowing a player to select an army/nation that he had played in previous seasons. Is this still a thing? I have had a brief skim of the rules and cannot find it in there.

Cheers,
Ian
Yes, sorry, that is my mistake. :oops: That line has been left out in error. I have put it in the recruitment instructions now for CA, LA, EMA and HMA . . .

Important: you cannot pick your 4 armies, or their allies, from nations that you used in your last season in this section, whether you used them as your main army or as the allies.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Poll result 25-16 in favour of Season 12 having a Silk Road Mod section instead of Biblical . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

Season 12 will start on October 1st. Would you like a one season break from Biblical and have a Silk Road Mod v1.7 paired game section instead?
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Season 12 Biblical section poll . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

Here is the full army list for the Silk Road Mod v1.7 . . .

Beidi 1046-701 BC
Beidi 700-220 BC
Chinese (Zhou) 1046-701 BC
Chinese (Zhou and Warring States) 700-351 BC
Chinese (Zhou and Warring States) 350-222 BC
Chinese (Qin) 221-207 BC
Chinese (Han) 206-100 BC
Chinese (Han) 99 BC-23 AD
Chinese (Han) 24-219 AD
Chinese (Han) 99 BC - 23 AD
Chinese (Three Kingdoms – Wei) 220-265 AD
Chinese (Three Kingdoms – Shu) 221-263 AD
Chinese (Three Kingdoms – Wu) 222-280 AD
Chinese (Jin) 266-316 AD
Chinese (Jin) 317-420 AD
Chinese (Liu-Song) 421-479 AD
Chinese (Southern Qi) 480-502 AD
Chinese (Liang) 503-556 AD
Chinese (Chen) 557-589 AD
Chinese (Sui) 582-617 AD
Di 1046-701 BC
Di 700-201 BC
Di 200 BC-303 AD
Donghu 1046 BC-209 AD
Northern Dynasties (Northern Wei) 386-534 AD
Northern Dynasties (Eastern Wei) 535-550 AD
Northern Dynasties (Western Wei) 535-556 AD
Northern Dynasties (Northern Qi) 551-557 AD
Northern Dynasties (Northern Zhou) 557-581 AD
Qiang 1046-701 BC
Qiang 700-201 BC
Qiang 200 BC-303 AD
Rouran (330-499 AD)
Rouran (500-555 AD)
Sixteen Kingdoms 304-439 AD
Wuhuan 208-201 BC
Wuhuan 200 BC-207 AD
Xianbei 208-201 BC
Xianbei 200 BC-303 AD
Xiongnu 221-201 BC
Xiongnu 200 BC-155 AD
Xirong 1046-220 BC

(42)
Badger73

Post by Badger73 »

Hi, Pete. I am entirely unfamiliar with these FOG2 army lists. Would you mind pointing me to where I might learn more about Silk Road generally and specifically? I would like to understand how to download and play it, what effects this mod has on the base game/DLC, and substantive information on the armies themselves. Thank you.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Badger73 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:39 pm Hi, Pete. I am entirely unfamiliar with these FOG2 army lists. Would you mind pointing me to where I might learn more about Silk Road generally and specifically? I would like to understand how to download and play it, what effects this mod has on the base game/DLC, and substantive information on the armies themselves. Thank you.
There is a thread here . . .

viewtopic.php?f=477&t=81314

You can access the Silk Road Mod from the in-game Download Community Scenarios function (see the pointer) . . .

Screen_00000007.jpg
Screen_00000007.jpg (708.43 KiB) Viewed 2012 times
gamercb

Post by gamercb »

Since I do not know much about the Bibilical Armies. as my results show, it does not matter to me that I do not know much about the Silk Road armies. So I am happy to give the Silk Road a try for a change.
GeneralKostas

Post by GeneralKostas »

It sounds interesting. I would like to try. So, we must download the Silk Road army list (multiplayer version) from the community content.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

GeneralKostas wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:40 pm It sounds interesting. I would like to try. So, we must download the Silk Road army list (multiplayer version) from the community content.
Yes. :wink:
Badger73

Post by Badger73 »

stockwellpete wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:57 pm Thank you for responding immediately. I downloaded per those instructions but don't see it in my game. I play FOG2 via Steam. That thread doesn't mention any Steam directories where the mod needs to be copied. Where might I find such guidance?
I don't think Steam makes much difference, to be honest. Take a look at these 3 screenshots . . .

You go to the same place as where you would set up a challenge in MP and click on the little grey box where the pointer is which says "Select Another Module". You then get a drop down box with the Silk Road Skirmishes Mod v1.7 listed. Click on it and "Launch" . . .

Screen_00000007.jpg
Screen_00000007.jpg (568.76 KiB) Viewed 1989 times

And then you will see Silk Road Skirmishes v1.7 in the brown box and the armies are then available to choose as normal . . .

Screen_00000008.jpg
Screen_00000008.jpg (621.63 KiB) Viewed 1989 times

And here is a challenge ready to go . . .

screen 10.jpg
screen 10.jpg (600.87 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

I voted yes, given that someday we're likely to see a Swifter Than Eagles expansion that should fluff out the Biblical lists to make them more, well, Biblical.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
ericdoman1
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by ericdoman1 »

Actually I'd like to see the Silk Road armies be spread amongst Biblical, CA and possibly LA. As well as available in the KO tournament.
Badger73

Post by Badger73 »

Badger73 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:59 pm
stockwellpete wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:57 pm Thank you for responding immediately. I downloaded per those instructions but don't see it in my game. I play FOG2 via Steam. That thread doesn't mention any Steam directories where the mod needs to be copied. Where might I find such guidance?
I don't think Steam makes much difference, to be honest. <snipped>
You go to the same place as where you would set up a challenge in MP and click on the little grey box where the pointer is which says "Select Another Module". You then get a drop down box with the Silk Road Skirmishes Mod v1.7 listed. Click on it and "Launch" . . .
<snipped>
Yes, I see it now. You are correct and the process is no different for Steam. Once downloaded and within the game, a user must click "Select Another Module" and then chose "Silk Road" to see these army lists. I didn't do so earlier but when I did, it works for me now. I have changed my vote from "No" to "Yes" but I recommend that special DL instructions for downloading and accessing Silk Road be specially provided if you incorporate Silk Road into Season 12. Thank you again for your time and help.

Another question; Do you envision Silk Road replacing Biblical with pre-defined battles as is currently being done in Biblical Season 11? That would be my preference instead of selecting one's own army to play against other player selected armies as is done in the other divisions. Thanks.

Return to “Field of Glory II Digital League”