Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

kronenblatt
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: Tournament News and Diary . . .

Post by kronenblatt » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:15 pm

stockwellpete wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:33 pm
There were just 2 adjudications to do at the end of this season (another one was done a few days ago). The results are . . .

Late Antiquity Division A: ConstantinIX v Triarii . . . adjudicated as a 2-2 draw (voting 3-0)

Early Middle Ages Division B: Challenge1 v sunnyboy . . . adjudicated as a 2-2 draw (voting 3-0)
Wow: that's actually impressive, or? Extraordinarily few this season, or normally roughly a couple of them each season?
Arranging the The Year of Many Emperors (TYME), Dividing the Spoils (DiSp), The West is No More (TWiNM), and An Empire in Flames (AEiF) tournaments as well as the Ever-Green League for Field of Glory II: Ancients!

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:38 pm

kronenblatt wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:15 pm
Wow: that's actually impressive, or? Extraordinarily few this season, or normally roughly a couple of them each season?
I think it is the lowest ever. The FOG2DL had 1066 matches scheduled for this season. 1 did not start and 2 did not finish, the other 1063 were played to a conclusion. :D

kronenblatt
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by kronenblatt » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:47 pm

stockwellpete wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:38 pm
kronenblatt wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:15 pm
I think it is the lowest ever. The FOG2DL had 1066 matches scheduled for this season. 1 did not start and 2 did not finish, the other 1063 were played to a conclusion. :D
Good! And a good marketing trick to create hype for Medieval with 1066 matches! :)
Arranging the The Year of Many Emperors (TYME), Dividing the Spoils (DiSp), The West is No More (TWiNM), and An Empire in Flames (AEiF) tournaments as well as the Ever-Green League for Field of Glory II: Ancients!

rs2excelsior
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by rs2excelsior » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:20 am

Thanks for another awesome tournament! I was busier this time around so didn't get to play in as many sections, but it was still a lot of fun - and I like the way the variable match sizes worked out in EMA, hopefully that system will see some more use. Looking forward to next time!

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

End of Season 9 round-up . . .

Post by stockwellpete » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:24 pm

End of Season 9 round-up

Season 9 saw the largest number of players ever entering the FOG2DL. The 96 players registered beat the previous record of 92 set in Season 8 and for the first time the tournament reached its optimum size of 6 divisions in each section and 2 pools in the Themed Event. However, the tournament will expand further with the addition of a High Middle Ages section in Season 10. This section will start on February 15, whereas the rest of the tournament will open on February 1.

There were a number of new features in Season 9. Armies in Classical Antiquity, Late Antiquity and the Themed Event were set at 1600pts, while armies in Biblical were set at 1200pts. In Early Middle Ages we trialled a system whereby players could opt for either 1200pts or 1600pts at the start of the season, with the default set at 1200pts. This trial was very successful and there were no reported problems with it at all. Consequently, this system will be rolled out right across the tournament for Season 10, with Classical and Late Antiquity having default army sizes of 1600pts and Early Middle Ages, High Middle Ages and Biblical having default army sizes of 1200pts. The Themed Event army default size will vary depending on which historical period it is set in.

The new structure of 6 player divisions in the Biblical section using mirror matches was also a resounding success and it will be retained for future seasons. Next season players will be able to choose their own armies again in Biblical and historical match-ups will return in Season 11. I will be alternating these two options for the Biblical section in future.

The final thing was that I had asked players not to resign matches if they were less than 15% behind as we did have a number of such instances in Season 8. There were no occurrences of this in Season 9 so thanks to everyone for observing this rule.

Overall there were 1066 matches scheduled right across the tournament from the start and 1063 of them were played to a conclusion; 2 were well-advanced, but not finished; and only 1 failed to start at all. I am sure that this is a record and thanks very much to everyone for achieving this. It does make player retention and new recruitment a much easier job for me.

Classical Antiquity
Nosy_Rat is the new champion of Classical Antiquity narrowly prevailing over harveylh in Division A. Their performance was all the more creditable as both players were using unfashionable armies with rather average tournament win ratios. Nosy_Rat used the Pontic 84-47 BC army and harveylh used the Gallic 300-101 BC option. Triarii had a good season with his Hannibal in Italy army to finish in the bronze medal position and there was a very unusual 3-way tie for 7th place involving klayeckles, nyczar and Questar17. The automatic relegation place was occupied by desertedfox whose Macedonians, like a number of pike armies this season, found things a bit too tough this time. In Division B Challenge1 and his Hannibal in Africa army overhauled Morbio in the last week of the season to take the automatic promotion place and win a place in the top flight next season for the very first time. lunecastle finished a very creditable third, but it was very close in the mid-table with only 6 points separating 3rd from 8th position. paulmcneil and his Saka army was relegated after losing to fellow struggler DzonVejn in what amounted to a relegation play-off. Division C was incredibly tight with the top 4 players having final records of 7 wins and 2 defeats. I don’t think this has happened before. In the end kraff and his Numidians prevailed over Stew101, Oscarius and Najanaja, courtesy of gaining a point in a close defeat in his last match of the season. It was bomber 23 and his Seleucid army who were relegated from this division. The first episode of the “Aetius39 and Warg1 show” was fought it out in Division D with Warg1 and his Roman army winning by just 3 points in the end. Both players were well clear of the chasing pack though, which was led by Rob123. Tresantes found things very hard this time with his Pyrrhics and another pike army was relegated. Division E went right to the last day of the tournament and it was Kerait and his Roman army who managed to overtake Blagrot and his Sertorius ensemble with a win in his last match. Kerait also won one of the prize vouchers. New players deeter and joggy also had very good seasons in this division, both players posting 6 wins, while Tratmot was relegated with his Achaemenid Persians after Barrold713 beat him in a crucial relegation match in the last week of the season. kronenblatt and doomben had a great tussle in Division F with kronenblatt finishing unbeaten in the automatic promotion place with his Pyrrhic army. Both players won prize vouchers for amassing 33 and 30 points respectively. Darkwater247 also had a very good first season with 6 wins to finish third and it was telesien with his Hannibal in Italy army who finished in the wooden spoon position with just 1 win all season.

Late Antiquity
Nosy_Rat had a much more comfortable time of it in Division A in this section winning the championship outright and a prize voucher with 9 straight wins with his Breton army. Newcomer and late reserve LuciusSulla put in a fabulous performance to finish second with 7 wins with his Roman army, signalling that there is a new challenger about for the very top positions in future seasons. Veteran CheAhn, who played in the old FOG1DL way back, finished in the bronze medal position, while Nijis and his Indians founds things a bit too hot to handle and was relegated. Another breakthough in Division B where batesmotel used the German Horse Tribes to great effect to win automatic promotion to the top flight for the first time. desertedfox had a much better season in this section finishing second just ahead of the very consistent schmolywar in third. Rather surprisingly it was lunecastle and his Byzantines who were relegated after failing to win a match all season. oscarius used the Jewish Revolt army to good effect to win automatic promotion in Division C. He managed 7 wins, but the most anyone else could achieve was 5 wins in what was a very competitive division. Bluefin tailed off with his Alan army in this one. Another edition of the “Aetius39 and Warg1 show” in Division D with Aetius39 blasting the opposition with his Bosporans to get 9 wins while Warg1 blasted everybody except Aetius39 with his Scots-Irish. Warg1 won a prize voucher for this performance (Aetius39 got his prize for his Themed Event Pool B triumph). Ironclad also had a very good season after a long absence from the FOG2DL and finished third. sarmation was relegated after having to withdraw half-way through the season due to illness. I hope he will be able to return soon. Morat kept his nerve to win Division E with his Lombard army, securing three 3 point victories in his last 3 matches to finish just ahead of Barrold713, who must be suffering terrible nosebleeds after finishing so high up! snooky51 and Rob123 (again) had very good seasons while poor Tratmot finished bottom once more, this time with an Armenian army. toska and his Sassanids won Division F going the entire season without defeat, ahead of Conteshard, TomoeGozen, Darkwater247 and wellsonian, who all had very good seasons. telesien picked up his second wooden spoon after his Romans could only register 1 win in his 9 matches.

Early Middle Ages
We have a new champion in Division A where Macedonczyk and his Andalusian army swept all aside to secure a 9 match clean sweep and 36 point maximum, which was easily enough to win a prize voucher. One of those wins was against second-placed Nosy_Rat, who previously had gone 30 matches in this section without a defeat. Late reserve XLegione did very well to finish third, while the other late reserve Sennacherib found it more difficult with his Umayyad army and was relegated. Newcomer LuciusSulla achieved a clean sweep with his Andalusians in Division B to win automatic promotion and a prize voucher, while Cunningcairn finished strongly in second place with 7 wins. desertedfox and sunnyboy also had good seasons to finish third and fourth respectively. kraff was relegated with his Ghaznavid army finishing just 2 points behind IMC in what was a very strong division. In Division C the “Aetius39 and Warg1 show” was rudely interrupted by Stew101 who managed to overtake Warg1, but not Aetius39, who won another automatic promotion, this time with the extremely popular and powerful Andalusian army. mr cholo and Karvon also had very good seasons, but Najanaja had a disastrous one managing no points at all with his Indian (Rajput are Kaput!) army. Some very good performances in Division D where Conteshard and his Byzantines held off the challenges of BishUK, joggy and tmac11 to win automatic promotion. At the bottom Kerait struggled with his Arab North Africans and was relegated just 2 points behind Doyley50. Division E was incredibly tight with Blagrot and his British army narrowly prevailing after snooky51 stopped DryNick in the very last match. snooky51 finished second and DryNick third. kronenblatt, who looked to be a strong favourite for the top position at one stage eventually finished fourth. At the bottom there was better news for Tratmot, who was not relegated. Barrold713 also managed to escape to leave ggarynorman and his Picts in the relegation place. toska won a second automatic promotion this season in Division F with his German army after leader carpenkm faltered in his last 2 matches. Darkwater247 had a good season again and GeneralKostas showed a definite improvement by winning 5 of his matches. At the bottom hscic just avoided the wooden spoon by defeating carpenkm, leaving wmpryor in bottom place this time.

Biblical
There was no messing about in Division A where pompeytheflatulent immediately posted an unbeatable record of 40 points from his 10 matches to become the new champion. harveylh and hidde finished second and third respectively while desertedfox struggled badly and was relegated. There was a good battle between Cunningcairn and XLegione in Division B until Cunningcairn beat XLegione twice in their matches together to take a firm grip on proceedings. At the bottom a victory for Challenge1 in the very last match against batesmotel meant that batesmotel was relegated. MorkinThe Free won automatic promotion from Division C and a prize voucher after setting off at a blistering pace and even 2 defeats in his 7th and 8th matches could not stop him. NikiforosFokas and ahuyton had good seasons and finished second and third respectively. sarmation was relegated. In Division D the “Warg1 and Aetius39 show” was won by Warg1 this time, just by 1 point with kraff also doing well to finish third. SawyerK was relegated after losing to Barrold713 in the last match of the season. There was a 3-way battle in Division E where random27 finished just 3 points ahead of deeter and Rob123. wmpryor was relegated after losing a vital match to fellow struggler gamercb. tmac11 was the winner of a very competitive Division F ahead of 3 other promising players kronenblatt, DryNick and joggy. SSB and McHarg found it very hard but a win earlier in the season for McHarg meant SSB was left in the wooden spoon position.

Themed Event
Pool A was won by harveylh after two nail-biting tiebreaker wins, in the final against klayeckles and in the semi-final against ianiow. Nijis was the other semi-finalist. In Pool B Aetius39 triumphed comfortably enough 2-0 in the final against TomoeGozen, but only after the narrowest of tiebreaker wins in the semi-final against Captainwaltersavage. tmac11 was the other beaten semi-finalist in Pool B.

In conclusion
This was another very enjoyable season from my point of view. I had very few problems to deal with, all the new ideas worked well and players achieved an incredibly high match completion rate. The tournament has moved on quickly from the disappointment of the cheating furore at the end of Season 8 and looks to be in very good health once more. There have been some fabulous playing performances, a number of players achieved clean sweeps which takes some doing across 9 matches. New champions have emerged and the batch of new players this time added great energy to the proceedings and quickly settled down.

We will do it all again in Season 10, which starts on February 1st 2021 (the medieval section will start on February 15th). Invitations will go out on Monday January 18th. Please keep a lookout for reliable players and invite them to sign up. Have a good Xmas everyone.

Captainwaltersavage
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Captainwaltersavage » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:43 pm

Thanks for running this so effectively. I intend to sign up for a few more divisions next time, and probably give more thought to which armies to bring, though i did have fun with the Visigoths. I have thoroughly enjoyed the matches and i am looking forward to crossing swords with my opponents once again.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: End of Season 9 round-up . . .

Post by stockwellpete » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:49 pm

Post by rs2excelsior » 15 Dec 2020 02:20

Thanks for another awesome tournament! I was busier this time around so didn't get to play in as many sections, but it was still a lot of fun - and I like the way the variable match sizes worked out in EMA, hopefully that system will see some more use. Looking forward to next time!

kronenblatt
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by kronenblatt » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:16 pm

Many thanks, Pete, for this season's excellent management of the Digital League (my first)! I've always been looking forward to seeing the updated tables and results and to reading your entertaining commentaries, such as the ones above. Keep it up: looking forward to next season and to hearing about which changes you plan. Biblical was really enjoyable with its themed mirror games. :)

Aetius39
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Aetius39 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:32 pm

Thanks a lot for all you do; the tournament is run so smoothly and is great fun! I had a great time playing all my worthy opponents and can't wait for the next season.^^
Creator of "There Can Be Only One" tournament in Field of Glory 2.

Challenge1
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Challenge1 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:18 pm

Many thanks to Pete once again, for running an incredibly well organised tournament. Thank you too to all my opponents from whom I continue to learn even if the learning process is sometimes hard!

Roll on Season 10.

harveylh
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by harveylh » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:06 pm

Pete,

Great job as usual and glad to hear this season was enjoyable from your perspective. Thanks again for all your hard work.

Harvey

pompeytheflatulent
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by pompeytheflatulent » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:07 pm

Thanks for all the hard work with the cat-herding and bean-counting that make the tournament possible.

deeter
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by deeter » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:24 pm

Running the league must be a staggering burden at times. I greatly appreciate the work you have put in and look forward to Season 10.

Deeter

Warg1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Warg1 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:59 pm

Pete thanks so much for putting all this together. I really enjoy these leagues so all your work is greatly appreciated. I'm having a mini-break from FOG2 while I complete an overseas move but will be back in the new year and look forward to the next edition.

Warg

Triarii
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by Triarii » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:42 pm

Thanks so much again Pete - a wonderful job and glad you enjoyed it too.
All the very best for christmas season and for 2021.

T.

Stew101
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Stew101 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:29 pm

BRILLIANT

Brilliant Tournament.
BRILLIANT organiser - Huge thanks to you, Pete.
Brilliant opponents.
BRILLIANT fun.

Had a great time again, thanks Pete.
Thanks to all my opponents. Some really great games this season.
Merry Christmas all.

Morat
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Morat » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:39 am

Pete

Thanks for organising such a great tournament. It's been enormous fun. You put in a huge amount of work - and it is really appreciated.

Happy Christmas and a peaceful New Year to you all.

M.
Morat

desertedfox

Re: Prize winners for Season 9 . . .

Post by desertedfox » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:50 am

Whilst my name doesn't appear on this list, I still would like to thank Slitherine for their continued support of this fantastic ongoing event.

Also, thanks to Pete and I think he has a few elves helping him these days. Thanks, guys, this event would never happen without your considerable efforts.
Last edited by desertedfox on Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

kronenblatt
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by kronenblatt » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:53 am

stockwellpete wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:11 pm
The following players have won a prize voucher this season, worth $25, to be spent only in the Slitherine store. There is no time limit on the vouchers.

Classical Antiquity
kronenblatt 33pts
Many thanks, Slitherine and Pete! This one will be spent on FoG2M! :)

wellsonian
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by wellsonian » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:19 pm

As a first timer, I would like say that I had a blast. This is a well run Tourney that I will be part of for a long time.

Return to “Field of Glory II Digital League”