Tailing & Ramming

Check Your 6 brings you in the middle of the World War II battles, with a turn-based strategy game that carries the spirit of the dogfights.
GSlapshot
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Tailing & Ramming

Post by GSlapshot »

I can't seem to find an explanation of how tailing works and what do the tailing choices mean? Also what happens if ramming is selected?
UP844
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Tailing & Ramming

Post by UP844 »

I think tailing is enabled when the tailing aircraft is in the rear 60° of an enemy (tailed) aircraft that lies in its forward 60°
- the tailed aircraft will have to provide information about the attitude (climb/level/dive) and the direction (left/straight/right) of its plotted move. It will not provide its full plot: this means that a "climb" or "dive" can include an Immelman or Split-s (if the aircraft can perform such manoeuvre.
- the tailing aicraft can then chose to move in the same phase and after the tailed aircraft will (advisable if you are tailing a better pilot) or in its normal phase.

Ramming occurs when two aircraft are in the same hex at the same altitude: if this occurs unintentionally, you can usually avoid the collision. If you want to deliberately ram an enemy aircraft, just say "no" when the game asks you if you want to avoid colliding.

I attempted ramming once in a scenario where the Germans have scores of Ju-88s attacking two airfields, as it was the only to stop a Ju-88 when the Hurricane pursuing it exhausted its ammo supply. The Hurricane rammed the Ju-88 two times, but only managed to damage it. Historically, only the Russians routinely attempted ramming as a common tactic, but if the victory conditions do not penalise you for losing aircraft or pilots, I think it is a viable tactic.
YukiAsik666
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by YukiAsik666 »

When it comes to tailing, "tailed" aircraft is the one that has enemy aircraft in its rear, and "tailing" aircraft has the “tailed” aircraft in its front arc. The general rule is that the tailing is possible when "tailing" aircraft is within 3 hexes and at the same or one lower TAL as the "tailed" aircraft.
GreyEagle1

Post by GreyEagle1 »

UP844 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:20 pm Historically, only the Russians routinely attempted ramming as a common tactic...
GOOGLE Sonderkommando Elbe

Return to “Check Your 6!”