The Dustbin . . .

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

hidde
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Re: Arrange your matches here . . .

Post by hidde »

hidde (Pyrrhic) challenges Stimovsky (Kingdom of Soissons)

Password : Stimo

PM sent
XLegione
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by XLegione »

Hi Paul, I arranged the match:

paulmcneil (Hepthalites 350-570AD) vs XLegione (Romans 379-424AD)

PW: paul

Ciao
Xlegione
MikeMUC
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by MikeMUC »

MikeMUC (Macedonians 328-321BC) challenges klayeckles (Kushans 130BC-476AD).

Password is: mikemuc
ulysisgrunt
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by ulysisgrunt »

Ulysisgrunt (Jewish Revolt 167-111BC) challenges

Alkibijad (Western Huns 376-454 AD)

Password: Alkibijad
vj531
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by vj531 »

herm (Romans 379-424AD) vs vj531 (Romans 379-424AD)

Password hope89

PM sent
Ludendorf
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: The Discussion thread . . .

Post by Ludendorf »

Just wishing everyone good luck and, above all, an enjoyable tournament.
Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos »

Lysimachos (Palmyran 258-273AD) challenges iandavidsmith (Pergamenes 190-129BC)
Password is: Classic Times
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

(Good luck favours the brave)
bbogensc
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by bbogensc »

MikeC_81 wrote:
bbogensc wrote:Just looking at the factions selections in the knock out tournament, very few players (I think nobody thus far) is choosing to play factions with core units: (a) Lancer (b) Heavy Cav, or (c) Horse Archer. One player took Hepthalite I noticed, which is sort of a mix.

If game modifications are being considered then maybe these cav factions should be improved to make mounted armies more viable (?)

One suggestion is that maybe units in pursuit should not be flankable, or should be able to evade charges. Or maybe the player should get to control the pursuit move to a degree. I note its quite aweful to have a lancer or cavalry charge succeed and then get flanked on the pursuit when its mostly out of player control.
Be careful what you wish for. Playing against armies that are predominately all Horse Archers can be absolutely infuriating. :twisted:
If you line up a force of horse archers against a heavy infantry army shoot over 24 turns, the horse archers will break 2 to 4 by the end of the game. If the infantry has any supporting lights or cav this can be further avoided or reduced in several ways. Meanwhile, any cav lost is serious break%. If the cav charges and wins it will pursue and is subject to a counter.

Lots of players switched over to cav armies in the KO tourney so Im interested to see how these perform.
bbogensc
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by bbogensc »

I should say my hypothesis is that a Roman army (of any era really, but especially the later DLC) can prevail against Indian, however the horse lists have little chance against most army lists. The lancer horse (eg, german horse tribe) cannot force a victory even on home terrain, and are less likely to prevail (ie, win) than early numidian I dont share your concern that horse archers will dominate once foot archers are modified.
Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf »

The best way I've found for mixed armies to combat the cavalry scourge is to mix cavalry and infantry together and support one another in lockstep. If you can throw in some very cheap infantry, ideally heavy infantry like limitanei or raw hoplites, to act as a screen in front of the main line, and bring skirmishers to fight back against any horse archers, then that makes the line even stronger. It gets to the point where there's just too much meat for the cavalry to chew through; even with localised breakthroughs, they generally get ground down and spat out. Even if the screen fails before it can be supported in time, the enemy melee cavalry often break through into a bad situation as bbogensc has laid out. Artillery can help, and skirmishers are a must to protect against horse archers and lights. Elephants are also devastating if you've brought them.

That said, if you're ever a horse commander facing that situation, your best bet is probably to advance slowly, keep formation, attack the infantry screen one unit at a time overpowering them with superior lancers (or shooting them to bits with horse archers) and then target the cavalry of the main line first. Once the skirmishers, screen and cavalry are gone, the infantry shouldn't be able to do much to you. It's tricky though, because one lancer unit smashing through before support can get to it can give the cavalry-infantry mix in the rear a window to engage and destroy the breakthrough unit, and that breach in your line can let them move up and support their screen. Ideally, skirmishers should disrupt the screening units. The main takeaway is not to advance too quickly and get drawn into what is essentially a gigantic cavalry trap designed to break your formation and preserve theirs. If the enemy has elephants, try and screen your lancers with something capable of shooting and disrupting them; you're toast if steady or even disrupted elephants get into melee with your lancers and they'll spread mayhem through your other cavalry forces too.

If you're using infantry screens and horse archers are shooting them to hell, then it's a good idea to advance suddenly. Push forward and try to catch units of horse archers behind your screen where the cavalry and infantry can murder them in relative peace. Use skirmishers to combat other skirmishers and above all, don't get your cavalry drawn out ahead of their supporting infantry. That's part of what happened to Crassus at Carrhae. Protecting your skirmishers is paramount here; you don't need skirmisher supremacy, but you do need to be able to protect yourself. If you have horse archers of your own, these can be mixed in with the infantry like any cavalry and make excellent fire support at parts of your line that are unprotected by skirmishers.

If there's no screen and you're predominantly horse archers, try throwing out some skirmishers ahead to hit the enemy cavalry or get round the flanks with the medium cav. If you just ride up boldly to the enemy line, the enemy cavalry are likely to catch you, and then the infantry will come in and kill you. If you have to approach, try and disrupt the enemy cavalry first. The infantry are more dangerous in melee, but they have to catch you before they can kill you.

Just my thoughts. I have a fair chunk of experience fighting cavalry armies with mixed forces. Not so much the other way round.
markwatson360
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by markwatson360 »

Challenge issued for Asterix_von_TWC

Markwatson360 (Kushan) v Asterix_von_TWC (Roman 197- 284 AD) password : jelly
private message sent
Trogilus
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Trogilus »

Trogilus (Pergamene 190-129) v challenges edb1815 (Romans 379-424), pw is pony

PM sent
cromlechi
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by cromlechi »

Challenge posted for bbogensc, pm sent
Nosy_Rat
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Nosy_Rat »

Challenge issued for kilroy1, pm sent.
Password is "round1".
ianiow
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by ianiow »

13. ianiow (Gaul 300-101 BC) v nyczar (Scots-Irish 50BC-476AD)

For nyczar

pw=ginger
Herode_2

Post by Herode_2 »

Slightly OOT about the current tactical discussion (which I am carefully reading BTW :D ) but for the KO Tournament managers : I had to kill the process while playing my turn against Ludendorf. The game froze and nothing happened when I clicked on the "End turn" button. Not sure how notifications go after that sort of stuff and, more importantly, I don't know how to save the corrupted state of the game (since it was frozen...) in order to send it to the devs for further debug. Anyway, I guess the file is still operational now ; if any doubt remains, just let me know.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Herode_2 wrote:Slightly OOT about the current tactical discussion (which I am carefully reading BTW :D ) but for the KO Tournament managers : I had to kill the process while playing my turn against Ludendorf. The game froze and nothing happened when I clicked on the "End turn" button. Not sure how notifications go after that sort of stuff and, more importantly, I don't know how to save the corrupted state of the game (since it was frozen...) in order to send it to the devs for further debug. Anyway, I guess the file is still operational now ; if any doubt remains, just let me know.
Herode_2 and Ludendorf, you have PM. :wink:
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

SnuggleBunnies vs dkalenda challenge is up, PW snuggles.

PM sent.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
ggarynorman

Post by ggarynorman »

Challenge posted for Lognormus. Pw gary
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

Kabill (Palmyra) challenges Greekiraklis (Sparta), password: notsparta
Kabill's Great Generals Mod for FoG2: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=492&t=84915

Return to “Knock-out Tournament”