Aggressors - FAQ

A mix of deep gameplay and rich historical flavor, Aggressors: Ancient Rome lets you relive history as the ruler of one of the mighty civilizations of the ancient Mediterranean. Choose one of twenty available factions and conquer the world.
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Aggressors - FAQ

Post by AlbertoC »

UI

A Tattered flag – what does it mean?

A Tattered flag above your capital city means that the happiness in your empire is dangerously low. You should take it as a warning sign and try to increase the general happiness of your empire by e.g. changing the type of government, building more/less units (if army is too small/large), building a capital city (if you do not have one), trying to forge peace with enemies, increase resource production and stop or decrease trading with citizens (slave trade). If you turn on the “Enable Advisor” setting (Game settings -> Player settings -> Enable Advisor), a pop up window will provide additional info on how to increase both local and general happiness.

How can I select a unit/map item when there is more than one unit on a tile?

If there are several map items on one tile, this is denoted by a small shield or helmet on the side. In this case, only one map item is visible on the map, the others are hidden. By hovering over the tile, you will see all the map items on that tile listed in the tooltip. You can select one of the map items by
i) clicking on the small shield/helmet or banner,
ii) holding right mouse button and left-click, or
iii) double-clicking on the tile

Resources

I run out of gold very quickly; how can I improve the situation?

If you run out of any resource, you should check the Resource Usage map to see where all your production is being used. This can help you to decide what action is required to correct this.
Lack of gold is often related to a high birth rate support and high maintenance (turn) costs of all map items. You can try to lower the state grant. You should also check that your gold mines are connected with roads to your cities and blacksmiths to max its production. You can try to make trade deals with other states requesting the needed resource. In worst case scenarios, you can sell or destroy some of your units or buildings. You can also pillage one of your cities but this might have other negative side effects.

I run out of food quickly; what can I do to stop this?

Lack of food is most likely related to having a large population and army. All your cities and units use food every turn. Check the Resource Usage map to see where is all your food going. You can lower the state grant for birth rate policy which should stop or adjust the fast population growth. You should cultivate plains and grasslands tiles around your cities by building fields and farms (if you have the technology) to increase your production. Additionally, you should try to make trade deals with other states requesting the required resource. You can try to decrease the number of military units and build “Economical” improvements in cities.

Where can I find an overview of my resource production/consumption?

Use the Resource Usage Map to see an overview of all your resources and the summary of their production and consumption. Hover over the particular map items or tiles (mines, cities, etc.) with the cursor to see their production rate per turn.
To see production/consumption of a particular map item, select the item on the map and then right-click to de-select any action. Then hover over the item or tile to see the yields and resource usage in the tooltip. You can also press F7 when a map item is selected and the Map Item Window provides the detailed information.

How to use Influence?

Influence is used to incite rebellions in foreign cities in order to undermine the local government and persuade the city to join your empire instead. Click on the foreign city and use the “Influence” action button. When hovering over the action button, the tooltip will show you how many Gold and Influence will be needed to apply influence in the city. You can repeat the action several times during one turn but the resources needed will increase with every new attempt in the current turn.

Trade

How do I open a trade route?
Trade routes are established automatically when the two opponents “see” at least one city of the other. It is not enough if only one player sees the city of the opponent. You can propose the City or Tile visibility or Map exchange treaty which will make all the cities of both parties visible to the other.

Population

My population is not growing – what am I doing wrong?

First of all check the Birth rate policy tool. You should set the state grant to maximum if you want your cities to grow fastest but be aware that this means higher usage of other resources especially gold, food, stone and wood. Alternatively, you can increase local birth rate grants in some of your cities if you do not have too many spare resources. By building “Temples” close to your cities, you will increase the birth rate there twofold.
Building new units consumes a lot of citizens so you should be careful how many new units you are building/recruiting.

Cities

Why is my city in revolt?

There could be several reasons for this and it is worth reading the pop up windows to find the root of the problem. Cities are often in revolt when the local happiness is too low, which means people are unhappy. Reasons for this can be found in the Resource usage map in Happiness tab. Hovering over the particular city shows the major factors affecting local happiness.
Another reason for a city to revolt is that another state is spreading its influence there (if this is the case, you will be notified by a pop up window).
If it is a newly conquered city, it is quite likely that the rebellions are caused by low Loyalty and General Morale levels. You can see both in the Unit menu when you click on the city in question.
You can mitigate the risk of rebellions in your cities by building improvements (e.g. Civil service, Obedience), keeping a garrison unit (urban guard) in the city and advancing the front or agreeing on peace terms with the enemy on your borders.

Units

Why did my unit desert?
There could be several reasons. If the unit is starving, meaning your supply lines do not reach the unit’s position, its General Morale decreases which can lead to desertions or dismissal of the unit.
Units built in newly conquered cities where Loyalty and General Morale are low are much more prone to desert than units with 100% loyalty and general morale.

Combat

How is the combat calculated?

There are many factors that determine the outcome of every single battle. Starting with basic unit properties such as defense and attack strength, combined with Army Morale towards the particular enemy, Loyalty and General Morale of the unit, its fighting ability on different terrains types, its Experience, and other bonuses or penalties. Naturally similar calculations are run for the enemy units as well and then a final outcome is reached. A certain level of randomness is applied so that even with a great advantage on your side, luck can turn the battle other way. However, those cases are rare.

Territorial conquest

How do I keep all my units supplied?

Cities, wagons and naval units act as suppliers for ground units. You can send a wagon or ship with your forward units which will ensure regular flow of supplies. You should also build roads to expand the supply area.

Objectives

I am not sure what conditions have to be met to complete the Objective?

The description next to each Objective should give you an idea of what is needed, however you will never be told the exact list of conditions that need to be fulfilled. You should follow the logic of the task and also refer to the progress bar next to the Objective to see if you are heading in the right direction. For Objectives that are also shown on the map, you can use the Objective Map to see what is requested.

Return to “Aggressors: Ancient Rome”