Noob questions

A mix of deep gameplay and rich historical flavor, Aggressors: Ancient Rome lets you relive history as the ruler of one of the mighty civilizations of the ancient Mediterranean. Choose one of twenty available factions and conquer the world.
umbro
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Noob questions

Post by umbro » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:49 pm

Apologies in advance, but any help welcome.
First game. Playing Carthage. Run into a couple issues. If there is documentation please just point me in the direction - thanks!

1) Carthage has slowly descended in population to 1. How is population maintained and what is the benefit of a large population for a capital?

2) One of the Objectives is to build city walls. I have built Defense, Palisades and Stockades but have never seen the option to build walls and the objective remains stubbornly at 0%.

3) Another Objective is to urbanize Sirtis. I have upgraded all the existing cities to no avail (including Amphitheatre). I built one city and the objective went to 30%, does this imply that this objective can only be met by building three new cities?

4) How does one select a unit the is hidden "beneath" another unit in the same square?

Thanks in advance.

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Re: Noob questions

Post by Blathergut » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:55 pm

Check overall happiness.
51a.jpg
51a.jpg (86.33 KiB) Viewed 1210 times

Are people leaving for somewhere better?

51b.jpg
51b.jpg (124.02 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
Notice how being near the border affects happiness. Having a garrison makes a world of difference.

Double click on a hex to pop up a units menu.

gwgardner
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by gwgardner » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:56 pm

umbro wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:49 pm
First game. Playing Carthage. Run into a couple issues. If there is documentation please just point me in the direction - thanks!

1) Carthage has slowly descended in population to 1. How is population maintained and what is the benefit of a large population for a capital?

The working citizens of a city are drawn away to the army whenever you build a military unit there, thus lowering the 'size' of the city. Do that very often and the city gets depopulated. Building a shipyard and/or naval units also draws away citizens.

2) One of the Objectives is to build city walls. I have built Defense, Palisades and Stockades but have never seen the option to build walls and the objective remains stubbornly at 0%.

Need to research the highest level of defensive structure, I think.

3) Another Objective is to urbanize Sirtis. I have upgraded all the existing cities to no avail (including Amphitheatre). I built one city and the objective went to 30%, does this imply that this objective can only be met by building three new cities?

I have never achieved that objective either - I think it's a mixture of building more cities there, improving them, building fields and farms, and roads. One of the beauties of the game in my opinion is that some of the objectives are amorphous and must be 'approached' through trial and error by the player.

4) How does one select a unit the is hidden "beneath" another unit in the same square?

Three ways: click on the helmet icon above the unit; double click on the top unit; right click and hold, and left click.

Thanks in advance.

umbro

Post by umbro » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:21 am

gwgardner wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:56 pm
umbro wrote:

The working citizens of a city are drawn away to the army whenever you build a military unit there, thus lowering the 'size' of the city. Do that very often and the city gets depopulated. Building a shipyard and/or naval units also draws away citizens.
So I notice that on Size1+ cities thye cost of a unit is pulled from the city, thus all those Cartiginians left on triremes. Does that imply that unit production locations should be kept at size 1 to spread the cost?

Need to research the highest level of defensive structure, I think.
Only 182BC here so maybe it comes later in the development tree?

I have never achieved that objective either - I think it's a mixture of building more cities there, improving them, building fields and farms, and roads. One of the beauties of the game in my opinion is that some of the objectives are amorphous and must be 'approached' through trial and error by the player.

I built a second city and the objective completion raised to 66%, so that appears to be it. Though I agree with the sentiment re: amorphous objectives it would be better that the actual objective were not quite so specific, thus a city could be worth 33% an amphitheatre in the region 10% and a Philosophy school 5% for example.

Three ways: click on the helmet icon above the unit; double click on the top unit; right click and hold, and left click.
Not sure where that last one comes from but they all do the job - thanks!

gwgardner
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by gwgardner » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:17 am

Not sure if I understand your question right, but no, it's not beneficial to keep city sizes low. The costs are not spread much - the building city, and sometimes a bit from nearby cities.

I haven't actually built the ultimate city wall, so I'm not sure.

umbro

Post by umbro » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:23 am

gwgardner wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:17 am
Not sure if I understand your question right, but no, it's not beneficial to keep city sizes low. The costs are not spread much - the building city, and sometimes a bit from nearby cities.
There seems to be a massive benefit to having a ship building yard not part of a city. Thus you do not suffer the citizenry depletion. BTW, how do you construct a shipbuilding facility?
gwgardner wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:17 am
I haven't actually built the ultimate city wall, so I'm not sure.
So it is now 157BC and I have the City Walls technology achievement (is that the same tree for all factions?) Turns out to be 10 from the end of the Carthage tree.

gwgardner
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by gwgardner » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:11 am

Go up to the upper left of the screen where you see the big hammer. Click on that to build special constructions like shipyards, blacksmith, stables. Shipyards still draw citizens from the adjacent town to man the ships with sailors and support personnel.

I don't know if the AI has the exact same tech tree as the human player. Perhaps yes, unless the variable tree is chosen.

uncajerf
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by uncajerf » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:06 pm

umbro wrote:
<snip>
umbro,

The Game Menu has a 'Manual' button; or check this thread.

Cheers!
uncajerf

"Artillery adds dignity to what otherwise would be a vulgar brawl." -Frederick the Great

Return to “Aggressors: Ancient Rome”