Why I absolutely hate Steam.....

A mix of deep gameplay and rich historical flavor, Aggressors: Ancient Rome lets you relive history as the ruler of one of the mighty civilizations of the ancient Mediterranean. Choose one of twenty available factions and conquer the world.
TimDee58
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Why I absolutely hate Steam.....

Post by TimDee58 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:31 am

Okay, well I probably overlooked something fundamental here (as usual), but in a fit of pique I 'ragequit' Steam......

I had overlooked the fact that Ive now lost ALL of the games that I purchased there (even dating back to Shogun:TW), this means that I cant even now update with new patches because I simply cant get access to download them, this became clear to me when I tried to update Aggressors.

I dont even have access to my old serial numbers etc etc..... so here I am, stuck on 1.02 for eternity (well untill I'm forced to re-buy the game in a week or two)...

Take it from me, Steam may be utterly crap but by god they sure have a stranglehold on the gaming industry.....

Whats the old saying "Quit in haste, regret at leisure" (paraphrased obviously).

All those games, gone forever GODDAMN!

Ignore me, I shouldnt ragequit stuff, you'd think at my age I'd know better (I had that steam account since the year dot too).

Onward & Upward

Cablenexus
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: Why I absolutely hate Steam.....

Post by Cablenexus » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:42 am

Rage quitting Steam never results in revoking your bought keys. It is impossible. They are bound to your useraccount. Reinstalling Steam and siging in with your own username and password (Steam also have a support team if you lost access to them) makes you able to download everything again.

If anytime you worried about this in the future, buy directly from Slitherine, it will make you able to download the game (and last updates) always from Slitherine server and also provides you a Steam key.

TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:59 am

wise words, to be fair I dont buy a lot of games and most of mine were ancient and wont run on Win 10 anyway (the only games Ive bought since Empire:Total War have been FoGII and Aggressors).

I'll have to repurchase because i wont (on principal) buy through steam again therefore Ive consigned my account to history, no matter, I'll repurchase through Slitherine in the future, I'm just irked that I cant get the patch lol

Like I said, 'Quit in haste etc etc'

Just venting, at my age thats a good thing, I'm not ready for a cardiac yet

76mm
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by 76mm » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:15 pm

TimDee58 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:31 am
Take it from me, Steam may be utterly crap but by god they sure have a stranglehold on the gaming industry.....
Well, not sure about that...this is the only game I even play via Steam, and most of the games I play are not even available on Steam. Steam probably dominates certain parts of the gaming industry, but I don't think it is true of wargaming. I hate Steam.

Regarding the patch: I don't understand why anyone would buy a Slitherine/Matrix game through Steam, when even if you buy through Slitherine/Matrix, you get a Steam key as well--so if you bought from Slitherine/Matrix, you could still get the patch even if you are not on Steam any longer.

TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:28 pm

these were gifted to me by a relative whose since passed away so I really have no idea what to do, Steam seemed not to care about my issues so I quit them, it's a long unfortunate tale that I wont bore you with.

Tim

76mm
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by 76mm » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:33 pm

OK, well sorry to hear! Anyway, you are not alone in your disdain for Steam!

Yogi the Great
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Yogi the Great » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:37 pm

Simple for me,

1 - If there is a game I want and only steam has it I will buy from steam.

2 - If there is a game I want and I can buy it from steam or Matrix/Slitherine I will buy from Matrix.

3 - If there is a game I'm not sure about but it is only available from Steam I won't buy it.

4 - If there is a game I'm not sure about but can buy from Matrix I will if interested enough buy it - although have to admit now and then I may regret the purchase.

gwgardner
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by gwgardner » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:05 pm

Steam is great. I've had games from there for 10 years, since Railworks came out there. Never had a problem with it, always found it easy to use and friendly. I also buy from matrix and Slitherine, but always get a steam key.

Steely Glint
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Steely Glint » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:13 am

I've been a Steam user since it first started, own several hundred games there, and have never once had a problem.

Return to “Aggressors: Ancient Rome”