Noob playing tips

A mix of deep gameplay and rich historical flavor, Aggressors: Ancient Rome lets you relive history as the ruler of one of the mighty civilizations of the ancient Mediterranean. Choose one of twenty available factions and conquer the world.
Sillyflower
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Noob playing tips

Post by Sillyflower » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:53 am

I thought I would start a thread for these because the game can be a bit frustrating at first if you don't know what to do and I'm not into watching long you tube excerpts. This is partly because I live in the middle of the french countryside where broadband is poor, and partly as it can take a lot of time to learn what you need on youtube if you are not just looking for an answer to a puzzle.

So here are a few of the basics I have learned the hard way.

1. The 3 most important resources are gold, gold and aurum (gold to those readers who do not know latin). Pander to your inner Midas. I'm now a retired lawyer, but it still comes naturally to me.

2. Be careful not to run out of the others by checking how many you have and the rate of change which you can see by mousing over the list on top left of mainscreen or checking out strategic resources screen.

3 Focus your trading requests to get what you need. Ignore offers that just give more of what you don't need.

4. Offering something you have in excess as an open offer often makes the AI v. generous especially if that country has a shortage of that stuff.

5. Iron can become a shortage quickly when you are building up/upgrading your military especially when you are on the offensive and having to repair structures.

6 Only build units in selected cities. You can send the new units to any other city to uprade, but it's a waste of resources to give more cities the capacity to build units than you need.

7. Less obvious to me was the need to ramp up the resources given to the baby factories - you need that extra manpower to get enough units to survive let alone win. I focus on putting those resources into the cities that I use for building units and for adjacent cities as some of their m/power seems to be used as well.

8. Asking countries to (con)federate you seems to be a waste of a click. They will usually offer as and when ready but check out the strategic map first. It might not be a good idea if they are at war with others, and especially if you are not close enough to go to their aid.

9. Don't forget to place temples and blacksmiths where they can do most good.

10. Only use self heal - it's free

No doubt I will think of other tips, and other readers are very welcome to add their own
Last edited by Sillyflower on Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post: I'm always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box art they will think I'm some kind of neo Nazi
Reply: They already know you are a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

gwgardner
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Noob playing tips

Post by gwgardner » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:07 pm

- The birth rate subsidy slider is your friend. Adjust it often to manage your resource usage.

- ask your trade partners for population/citizen transfers (slave trade); that not only reduces their city sizes and grows yours, it will tend to lower Happiness in the other country.

Tanaka
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Noob playing tips

Post by Tanaka » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:41 pm

Thanks for these guys helps a lot!

Return to “Aggressors: Ancient Rome”