[Suggesion] Color coded icon-outlines

Tech Support
Xilmi
Pandora Community Developer

[Suggesion] Color coded icon-outlines

Post by Xilmi » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:33 am

One of the biggest hindrances to fluid game play once I have a more sizable army is not being able to tell with one glance at the screen which units have already moved.

Thats why I'd like to suggest a color-coded icon outline for that:

Blue - neither moved nor acted
Yellow - moved but still has action available
Grey - no moves or actions left
Green - like blue but manually set to skip/heal/guard/queued move

This way I could immediately tell what is going on with each unit.

Xilmi

Re: [Suggesion] Color coded icon-outlines

Post by Xilmi » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:27 pm

Here's an example of how it could look like:

You can immediately see which units have already moved and which units haven't. Since there's no enemy nearby they still all have yellow outlines, which also means they'd do overwatch.
Notice that I used the same outline-colors on the minimap.

Edit:

Just realized that there already is a distinction between action still available and action used:
With action used the outline is gone.
So that means there's only something missing to tell apart units that have moved vs. units that haven't.
Attachments
20180723181251_1.jpg
20180723181251_1.jpg (159.97 KiB) Viewed 505 times

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:13 am

There is already an outline but its a little subtle. I think we need to raise the contrast to make it clearer.

Xilmi

Post by Xilmi » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:19 pm

IainMcNeil wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:13 am
There is already an outline but its a little subtle. I think we need to raise the contrast to make it clearer.
As I mentioned in my edit.
The outline is only different between no actions and actions left. But I'd argue that there should be a different one for units that also haven't moved yet when compared to units that have moved but not used their action.

And yeah, the outline could be a little thicker. 1 Pixel is rather slim for modern resolutions.

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:51 pm

Maybe but if we try to show too many levels its gets hard to make any of them clear. I'd be happy with clearly showing actions / no actions remaining.

Xilmi

Post by Xilmi » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:13 am

There already are good measures inplace to make sure I don't forget to attack with a unit. If it has no action left, it will not be cycled through again.

My problem is the following, once again an indirect result of the existance of the XP-range:

I feel prettymuch forced to first move all units close rather than doing the move & attack with each unit in one go.

So after I moved all units close to the victim, I kill it by manually selecting and right-clicking. Now the surrounding units are a mixture of units that already had been there from the turn before and units I just moved and then again some still have their attacks and some don't.

I now would proceed to the next enemy but I don't have an easy way to keep track about the state of my units. Nemedly telling apart the ones that can still move and the ones I can't.

I'm trying to find the best way to move my units without forgetting them but also without wasting XP and currently the combination of game-design and GUI doesn't make this very easy.

Alternatively I'd like to have a separate button to confirm that I moved a unit but still want to be reminded again when it comes to using an action.

It's a bit tough to explain. As I said, it all comes down to the XP-radius that "forces" me to split my moving & acting to be done in 2 steps rather than doing both at the same time.

Return to “Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War: Tech Support”