Odaenathus' query

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Odaenathus' query

Post by ravenflight » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:53 am

Hi All,

So, I was having a discussion with Zenobia the other day, and we couldn't agree. We're getting marriage counselling. I've got to do something before she murders me.

Anyway - do you think it's a worthwhile investment to pay the extra 1 silver sheckel to get drilled unprotected medium infantry bowmen, or do you agree with Zenobia that we keep the undrilled ones and use the money to buy jewelry for her?

Interested in your opinions!

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:11 am

Go drilled...there will always be a time you want them to turn and move and do all kinds of fancy things...undrilleds won't understand a thing you are saying. :shock:

BlackPrince
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by BlackPrince » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:45 am

Pay the point and go with Drilled and you win the battle give her jewelry you loot from the enemy camp.

david53
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by david53 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:09 am

Blathergut wrote:Go drilled...there will always be a time you want them to turn and move and do all kinds of fancy things...undrilleds won't understand a thing you are saying. :shock:

I agree drilled all the time for infantry if you can.....

petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by petedalby » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:37 am

Do neither. Field the bowmen as LF. Average MF bowmen without swords are dogmeat.
Pete

david53

Post by david53 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:47 am

petedalby wrote:Do neither. Field the bowmen as LF. Average MF bowmen without swords are dogmeat.

Ah that choice was'nt there, not saying wrong choice but..........

deadtorius
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by deadtorius » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:21 pm

Go drilled, you will have to run away at some point and will be glad you spent those sheckels on training the boys. In my own army I am dropping the MF bows for LF bows since they can only be undrilled and they tend to have to stand and take it every game. I am hoping the ability to run away and manouver like crazy as lights will be worth the loss of 1 shooting die.

Scrumpy
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Scrumpy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:08 pm

Yeah, I find the loss of one die of shooting is more than weighed off by the evade ability.

In general bows don't do much damage to other foot, you rarely get enough hits to make them worry when they test, especially if they are supported with a general in range. Against mounted it is a different thing. Match ups ftw.

DavidT

Post by DavidT » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:46 pm

Having seen undrilled infantry fail their CMT to turn or wheel to face a unit which has just lined itself up for a flank charge once too often, the 1 point for drilled is excellent value for money.

ravenflight

Post by ravenflight » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:08 pm

Thanks for your replies all.

Zenobia is slowly coming around to the temporary jewelry setback, but is also pushing for the 'use light infantry and ALSO buy me jewelry'.

She also pointed out that if I have lots of Light Infantry, then we'll be able to get around the battlefield quickly using the newly invented 'Time Warp' :twisted:

Bloody women!

Return to “Army Design”