Empires of the Dragon - Yayoi Japanese

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Empires of the Dragon - Yayoi Japanese

Post by timmy1 »

I have ordered 'Heavenly Warriors: Evolution of Japan's Military, 500-1300 (Harvard East Asian Monographs)' by Ferris because of Nik's interesting ideas for Yayoi. I am not sure how useful the army will but it will be HUGE!

3 x TC (105)
19 x BG of 6 MF, Unprot, Ave, Undrilled, Bow (570)
1 x BG of 8 MF, Unprot, Ave, Undrilled, Bow (40)
2 x BG of 6 MF, Prot, Ave, Undrilled, Off Spear (84)

799 Points, 22 BG.
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

I think you would need an IC and 3 other genrals to make this even nearly useful
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
timmy1

Post by timmy1 »

Phil

Please advise the list that allows 7 generals... :)
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

timmy1 wrote:Phil

Please advise the list that allows 7 generals... :)
The rules only allow 2-4. You have a choice from the 7 to make 2-4
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
timmy1

Post by timmy1 »

Phil

Sorry I misunderstood, I thought you meant the IC and 3 generals other than the 3 I had were needed to make a good army. Internal Ally Generals are not my style...

IC means you have a chance of gaining initiative... Not sure I want that.
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

No, the IC will protect unprotected troops from cohesion loss due to shooting. There are a lot of shooters in this book. He also massively increases the chance and area of CMT passes.
phil
timmy1

Post by timmy1 »

OK, need to find 55 points somewhere.
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Empires of the Dragon - Yayoi Japanese

Post by nikgaukroger »

timmy1 wrote:I have ordered 'Heavenly Warriors: Evolution of Japan's Military, 500-1300 (Harvard East Asian Monographs)' by Ferris because of Nik's interesting ideas for Yayoi.

Yayoi list is Duncan Head's work - based on his Slingshot articles on pre-Samurai Japanese; you'll find an extensive bibliography for that. It is also, in an earlier form, in the TNE archive IIRC.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
timmy1

Post by timmy1 »

Nik

Thanks. I have the Slingshot CD somewhere, I will look it out. TNE I will have a look at. I will not argue with Duncan's interps this far east.
flameberge
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by flameberge »

Wow 22 BG's! I'd love to see how this army works out. You'd have loads of firepower but I would think all that unprotected foot would suffer greatly from getting shot themselves not to mention 3 generals would have their hand full trying to keep up the cohesion for this many BGs.
khurasan_miniatures
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by khurasan_miniatures »

Hi, two months on, any word on how attractive this army is? Found this thread in a websearch because I am musing making an army with no cavalry as a side project if I can find an available sculptor over the holidays and this is one option. Truth be told, mostly because it would be fun to make a model for Himiko lounging about behind a screen, giving orders to her field commanders. An interesting camp element. :)

The other options are Mochica, Iroquois, Middle Kingdom Egyptian, and hmm, maybe Tupi, though others make the Tupes too. Also possibly one of those early biblical nomad armies, if, that is, I knew what was in them -- they are in lost scrolls! :lol:

If this army is decent and people want to see it made, I'd do it but I'd need to know what the most popular options are, because I'm not going to spend a lot for this muffler. :wink: I'd need to know if people prefer the fighting foot as spear or sword/daggeraxe (both is a non-starter). Also if the archers are more desirable protected or unprotected (again, both is a non-starter, seriously).
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

You will sell a lot of figures to anyone making this army. However, I doubt if very many will.
khurasan_miniatures

The proverbial kiss of death!

Richard, are any of the armies coming up in Lost Scrolls all infantry with relatively few troop types?

How about Saba for Queen of Sheba period (about 1000BC) -- is that in the list?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

khurasan_miniatures wrote:Richard, are any of the armies coming up in Lost Scrolls all infantry with relatively few troop types?
Some of them, in their early phases. Most are allowed a few battle-cars or chariots after a certain date. Wargamers being what they are, most will probably want some mounted troops.

Mochica seem a better bet for you (in my view). They are quite a decent army requiring very few different figures.
khurasan_miniatures

rbodleyscott wrote:
khurasan_miniatures wrote:Richard, are any of the armies coming up in Lost Scrolls all infantry with relatively few troop types?
Some of them, in their early phases. Most are allowed a few battle-cars or chariots after a certain date. Wargamers being what they are, most will probably want some mounted troops.

Mochica seem a better bet for you (in my view). They are quite a decent army requiring very few different figures.
Thanks for that Richard. How would you rate them as opposed to Iroquois, another one I'm considering? I think I'll strike yayoi from the list as people are talking about morphing it into kofun-Nara, which I make so I don't want to make two lines that will compete with each other ....
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

khurasan_miniatures wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:Mochica seem a better bet for you (in my view). They are quite a decent army requiring very few different figures.
Thanks for that Richard. How would you rate them as opposed to Iroquois, another one I'm considering?
Hard to predict popularity. Iroquois might appeal more to US gamers.
khurasan_miniatures

rbodleyscott wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:Mochica seem a better bet for you (in my view). They are quite a decent army requiring very few different figures.
Thanks for that Richard. How would you rate them as opposed to Iroquois, another one I'm considering?
sorry, I meant in terms of effectiveness
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

rbodleyscott wrote:
khurasan_miniatures wrote: Thanks for that Richard. How would you rate them as opposed to Iroquois, another one I'm considering?
sorry, I meant in terms of effectiveness
In theme, I would go with the Iroquois. Out of theme, probably the Mochica.
spring
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by spring »

Wow Mochica!! One culture i had not heard before :) What are those guys supposed to be unit wise to be a
descent monotype(ish) army?
just me being very curious :)
khurasan_miniatures

Re: Empires of the Dragon - Yayoi Japanese

Three years down the road -- tempus fugit!

I'm pleased to report that the Yayoi have been sculpted and should be available in a few months.

Daggeraxemen
Spearmen
Archers
Slingers
Big shield spearmen ("pikemen")
Commander and standardbearer in wooden armour
Himiko and kneeling attendants

Himiko was made in regal outfit rather than witchy nightgown, but as a concession to her shamaness roots she has her twig in hand!

Return to “Army Design”