German city leagues

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

benos
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

German city leagues

Post by benos » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:41 pm

how do people rate this list ( those already with lost scrolls :wink: )

small number of knights, various cavalry, lots of handgunners and reasonable foot (includeing veleuren haufe..Medium or heavy foot, armoured, sup drilled heavy weapon in 4-8 size bg) war-wagons, free cantons (mf off spear)
looks a nice mix to me, possibly better than the imperial german.
do others see potential here or am i seeing more than there is?

Ben

babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by babyshark » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:14 pm

At first glance I rather like it. I haven't spent much time trying to sort out whether the various pieces come together as a whole, but it looks like it will be better than the "regular" medieval German list.

Marc

benos

German city leagues

Post by benos » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:57 pm

came up with this as a possible
4 x TC
6 x drilled, ptd, ave MF crossbow
8 x HF ptd, dld, Ave Pikemen
8 x HF ptd Dld Ave, Pikemen
8 x HF ptd Dld Ave Pikemen
8 x Hf Arm Dld, Ave Heavy weapon
8 x Hf Arm Dld Ave Heavy weapon
4 x Lf ptd, Dld Ave Firearm
6 x lf unp Dld Ave Crossbow
4 x Cav Arm Ave Dld Lancer, swordsmen
4 x Cav Arm Ave Dld Firearm , swordsmen
4 x Cav Arm Ave Dld Crossbow, swordsmen
4 x Mf Arm, Sup Dld, Heavy weapon
4 x Mf Arm Sup Dld , Heavy weapon

PyrrhicVictory
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by PyrrhicVictory » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:28 pm

I have been building a Later Medieval German army, but I am liking the German City Leagues, and I am liking the Later Feudal Medieval Germans as well.

gozerius
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by gozerius » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:22 am

Should have my copy in a week or two. :( :? :shock: :) :D :lol: :twisted:
:wink:

gozerius

Post by gozerius » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:19 am

Got my copy today. I'm going to need way more spearmen. I think I'll put some of my crossbows behind pavises as protected undrilled.

Moro
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Moro » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:09 am

I would try to drop all Cv to max-out armoured infantry...

Ghaznavid
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Ghaznavid » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:09 pm

Moro wrote:I would try to drop all Cv to max-out armoured infantry...
That might work if you want to passively wait for the enemy to come to you, but if you want to be aggressive you will find that even 2 or 3 BG's of LF can delay you to hell and back without the Cv.
Karsten

~ We are not surrounded, we are merely in a target rich environment. ~

Moro

Post by Moro » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:30 am

unfortunately, that is sadly true... :cry:

babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by babyshark » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:25 pm

Even without the cav one can buy a bunch of LF protected firearm for skirmishing duties. I have the notion in my head that these will be very useful BGs. They can be bought in 4s for bulk (probably take them as unprotected in that instance) or 6s for driving off enemy LF.

Marc

fgilson
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by fgilson » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:44 pm

babyshark wrote:Even without the cav one can buy a bunch of LF protected firearm for skirmishing duties. I have the notion in my head that these will be very useful BGs. They can be bought in 4s for bulk (probably take them as unprotected in that instance) or 6s for driving off enemy LF.

Marc
I would tend to take the LF fiream as protected, so that they cheaply have the ability to threaten much enemy LF with a charge. They'd be in 4s to 'fit' into smaller places and try to extend around/behind enemy BGs to restrict evades/break-offs.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:51 am

fgilson wrote:I would tend to take the LF fiream as protected, so that they cheaply have the ability to threaten much enemy LF with a charge. They'd be in 4s to 'fit' into smaller places and try to extend around/behind enemy BGs to restrict evades/break-offs.
Charging enemy LF is a very risky strategy. As the handgunners are in 4s, you would need to charge with 2 BGs, so would lose 4 attrition points if it all goes horribly wrong - as well it might.

benos

germans

Post by benos » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:06 pm

couldn't go any worse wrong than the swiss vs Nik last Wednesday did!
:shock:
city states just get more stuff so should take longer to die :lol:

david53
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by david53 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:01 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:
fgilson wrote:I would tend to take the LF fiream as protected, so that they cheaply have the ability to threaten much enemy LF with a charge. They'd be in 4s to 'fit' into smaller places and try to extend around/behind enemy BGs to restrict evades/break-offs.
Charging enemy LF is a very risky strategy. As the handgunners are in 4s, you would need to charge with 2 BGs, so would lose 4 attrition points if it all goes horribly wrong - as well it might.

TBH if only someone would charge my 8 base BG of Jav/Light spear with a 4 base BG Firearms even if you were Protected I would stand and love it.

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:29 pm

I ran a City League army at the York round of the Northern league today and it did OK (well joint first which is OK in my book).

My list (900 points):

4 TC
1 BG 4 superior undrilled knights
1 BG 4 average drilled lancer cavalry
1 BG 4 average drilled crossbow cavalry
1 BG 4 average drilled handgun cavalry
2 BG 4 superior drilled armoured MF heavy weapons
1 BG 8 average drilled armoured defensive spear
3 BG 8 average undrilled armoured defensive spear
1 BG 6 average drilled protected MF crossbow
1 BG 6 average undrilled protected MF crossbow
2 BG 4 average LF handgun
1 BG 6 average LF crossbow

The army worked quite well. Defensive spear were not as much of a liability as I thought they might be. Where the army I feel let me down was the 4 base BGs of average cavalry and to be honest the superior medium foot were not as effective as they could have been in either game. I will certainly consider defensive spear again, especially armoured undrilled ones.

fgilson
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

protected LF

Post by fgilson » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:47 pm

david53 wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:

TBH if only someone would charge my 8 base BG of Jav/Light spear with a 4 base BG Firearms even if you were Protected I would stand and love it.
What do you do if your LF gets charged by my LF plus one of my more meatier units? I'm sure you evade. My LF are trying to charge from 1MU, giving them the best chance to catch you. If they do, your light spear is useless, and I certainly want to be Protected for the Melee phase.

This also addresses Richard's comment about the riskiness of LF combats. I want 4s of protected firearm LF because they do this combined charge very well (perhaps while in column at the end base of your unit). I don't expect the heavy foot also charging to actually ever catch your LF.

azrael86
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by azrael86 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:22 pm

hammy wrote:I ran a City League army at the York round of the Northern league today and it did OK (well joint first which is OK in my book).

My list (900 points):

4 TC

1 BG 8 average drilled armoured defensive spear
3 BG 8 average undrilled armoured defensive spear

Defensive spear were not as much of a liability as I thought they might be. Where the army I feel let me down was the 4 base BGs of average cavalry and to be honest the superior medium foot were not as effective as they could have been in either game. I will certainly consider defensive spear again, especially armoured undrilled ones.
Given that they were a third of the army (264 pts) just how much of a liability were they? Wouldn't pike and/or offensive spear MF be more useful?

Return to “Army Design”