Lithuanian Bow* Cavalry

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

pcelella
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Lithuanian Bow* Cavalry

Post by pcelella »

I've been playing around with the Later Lithuanian list, and the cavalry units attracted my attention. These can be taken as Armored, Superior, Undrilled, Bow*, Light Spear, Swordsman. Any thoughts on using this troop type. In the Lithuanian list, they can be taken with a bunch of LH, (bow, light spear, sword) along with an unit of Polish knights. Seems like there may be a fairly competitive list in there somewhere, no?

Peter C
Sword and Sandal Gaming Blog
http://swordandsandalgaming.blogspot.com/
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

IM not so HO Bw* is crap
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
BillMc
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by BillMc »

Also don't think the Armored LH option is worth taking.

Bill
Cerberias
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Cerberias »

If they were drilled so they could skirmish easier i wouldn't mind, but undrilled costs as much as bow cav, doesnt get as many dice shooting and still loses to lancers.
pcelella

Post by pcelella »

The consensus so far then seems to be that Bow* cavalry isn't very desirable. It would appear then that someone building a Later Lithuanian army would be better off skipping these guys and substituting the Russian cavalry (Cv, Armored, Superior, Undrilled, Bow, Sword) which cost the same points. In other words, Bow is better than Bow*, Light Spear.

Peter C
ShrubMiK
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ShrubMiK »

Up until the point at which the bow*, light spear charges them.
Cerberias
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Cerberias »

Yeah, but that extra dice shooting (in two ranks) or two dice shooting (in single rank), is quite helpful against most other things. Also a thing to note, light spear cav are better than lancer cav in the impact phase if in non-open ground :).
hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy »

It largely depends on the opposition. If they have lancer cavalry or knights then Bw* Light Spear cavalry are not much good as you have to deploy in one rank so you can evade and then you need every base in the BG to be shooting at the same target to have any effect.

Against bow sword cavalry you are safe to deploy 2 deep and then you get reasonable firepower and have a close combat advantage.
pcelella

Post by pcelella »

Cerberias wrote:Yeah, but that extra dice shooting (in two ranks) or two dice shooting (in single rank), is quite helpful against most other things. Also a thing to note, light spear cav are better than lancer cav in the impact phase if in non-open ground :).
You don't get an extra dice shooting though. An unit of 4 bases would get 2 dice shooting, regardless of formation - at least that is how I interpret using Bow*.

Peter C
hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy »

pcelella wrote:
Cerberias wrote:Yeah, but that extra dice shooting (in two ranks) or two dice shooting (in single rank), is quite helpful against most other things. Also a thing to note, light spear cav are better than lancer cav in the impact phase if in non-open ground :).
You don't get an extra dice shooting though. An unit of 4 bases would get 2 dice shooting, regardless of formation - at least that is how I interpret using Bow*.
Yes, I think the extra dice was refering to Bw cavalry in two ranks who get 3 dice compared to the 2 dice of Bw*
expendablecinc
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by expendablecinc »

pcelella wrote:The consensus so far then seems to be that Bow* cavalry isn't very desirable. It would appear then that someone building a Later Lithuanian army would be better off skipping these guys and substituting the Russian cavalry (Cv, Armored, Superior, Undrilled, Bow, Sword) which cost the same points. In other words, Bow is better than Bow*, Light Spear.

Peter C
exactly my thoughts. I am building a later lithuanian army at present

3 russian cav BG
1-2 Lithuanian cav BG
2-3 Lithiuanian LH BG
1 Teutonic Kn BG
2 BG of LF bow
1 BG of def spear
1 BG of heavy artillery
PF to spare