Southern Dynasties

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Intothevalley
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Southern Dynasties

Post by Intothevalley » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:18 pm

Now that Essex have released a nice looking range of figures for Northern and Southern Dynasties Chinese, can anyone suggest a good way to use the Southern Dynasties list?

The best I could come up with was using lots of poor MF/HW (in units of 10) with the odd poor missile unit to somehow hold up/fix the enemy while the small 'elite' of the army (drilled MF and Cats/Cav) tried to work the flanks. The poor foot would be backed by units for rear support and have an IC so they could hopefully hold on for just long enough. I realise that in practice this is probably going to be difficult to pull off (my regular opponents are quite competent), and in open terrain versus lots of lancers it's gonna be happy hour for my opponent, but can anyone see another valid way of using this army?

Many thanks for your thoughts!

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Southern Dynasties

Post by hazelbark » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:51 am

I need to go find the southern lists that i thought may work.

IIRC I disgarded the masses of Poor as not viable enough as they can't hold versus decent foot. You're right you need to plan to manuver, it also depends on what kind of opponents you may face.

In period the Cataphracts, tribal warrior impact and HW are far better than people realise.

Return to “Army Design”