Gallic Tribes Classification?

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Saurocet
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Gallic Tribes Classification?

Post by Saurocet » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:09 am

Since I'm getting close to finishing my Gallic and Roman armies, I've been thinking about playing some historical battles. Some of the battle descriptions mention the specific Gallic tribes present at the battle. The Senones were at Allia (390BC). The Boii and Insubres were at Telamon. The Nervii were at the Sabis River. The Caledonians were at Mons Graupius.

Is there a consensus on lowland versus hill? Which of the more famous Celtic tribes would be considered lowland tribes? Which were hill tribes?

I'm just trying to add both historical accuracy and variety of units to the battles.

willb
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by willb » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:11 am

Wikipedia has a couple of maps showing tribal locations in France. and might be your best help in determining which tribes were what type. The battles you list cover a wide variety of locations.
Allia, and Telamon were fought in Italy
Sabis, also known as the battle of Sambre, was fought in Belgium. http://www.soa.org.uk/battleday/2005bat ... index.html has some additional information about the battle
Mons Graupius was in modern day Scotland.

Mehrunes
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Mehrunes » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:22 am

Wouldn't the Caledonians at Mons Graupius use the Caledonian army list? :)
You could classify Boii and Insubres as hill tribes or lowland tribes. They were recruited by Hannibal after he descended from the Alps but settled also in the Po valley.

I would use a topographic map and one with the settlement areas of the various tribes. Or, if you can, one which depicts both:

Saurocet

Post by Saurocet » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:30 pm

Thanks for the advice. I am probably going to mount all the Gauls as heavy infantry and then designate a few has medium for each scenario. I'm also thinking about incorporating the idea that undrilled impact foot causes a -2 to cohesion tests (instead of the minus one). That ought to create even more variety among the units.

Return to “Army Design”