Army Size

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

david53
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Army Size

Post by david53 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:21 pm

Hi There

Just back from Shiltron 2011 up in Glasgow and during it I played a rather large army in fact the biggest one I have ever faced or seen on the table. It was an Irish Medieval with 42 Battle Groups the majority of 6 bases a few with 8 bases His first drop was for 11 Battle Groups more than my whole army.

36 of the Battle Groups were poor light foot the remainder were 2 LH Battle Groups and the remainder were HW Average medium foot.

Has anyone played an larger army in a tournement?

Dave

recharge
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by recharge » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:27 pm

Geez! How many points?

How did the army fare for the tourney?

John

kal5056
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by kal5056 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:38 pm

Must know more...Please provide details.
Gino
SMAC

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Army Size

Post by hazelbark » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:16 am

david53 wrote: Just back from Shiltron 2011 up in Glasgow and during it I played a rather large army in fact the biggest one I have ever faced or seen on the table. It was an Irish Medieval with 42 Battle Groups the majority of 6 bases a few with 8 bases His first drop was for 11 Battle Groups more than my whole army.

36 of the Battle Groups were poor light foot the remainder were 2 LH Battle Groups and the remainder were HW Average medium foot.
HA. Look forward to hearing how it did.

18 * 12 poor LF JV
18* 18 ppor LF bow
=540 if in 6s
+ 2 LH JV @28
+4 TC @ 140
=708
Kind of feel sorry for someone who has the accurate figures.

david53

Post by david53 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:08 am

The strange thing was the majority of bases were 40mm by 40mm ie 3 by 2 normal bases with one figures I think and one model trees per base, so it was like facing a forest.

TBH i think when he faced Infantry armies, and he could get some terrain down he could hide a lot of troops in them and he did well only losing at best IIRC 12 to 8 , when I played it was on the steppes against my Mongols with nowhere to run and I managed to break 22 Battle Groups but it was intesting.

david53

Post by david53 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:09 am

hazelbark wrote:
david53 wrote: Just back from Shiltron 2011 up in Glasgow and during it I played a rather large army in fact the biggest one I have ever faced or seen on the table. It was an Irish Medieval with 42 Battle Groups the majority of 6 bases a few with 8 bases His first drop was for 11 Battle Groups more than my whole army.

HA. Look forward to hearing how it did.

18 * 12 poor LF JV
18* 18 ppor LF bow
=540 if in 6s
+ 2 LH JV @28
+4 TC @ 140
=708
Kind of feel sorry for someone who has the accurate figures.
I must have got the make up wrong but not the actual numbers 42 sticks in your head.

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:07 pm

david53 wrote:I must have got the make up wrong but not the actual numbers 42 sticks in your head.
No what that means is depending on generals has room for a few BGs of the MF HW types per your description. The question is how many BGs of his opponents did he break?

berthier
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by berthier » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:04 pm

It would be interesting to know which list you are refering to as neither of the Medieval Irish lists can have that many archers and then none as poor.
Christopher Anders
2019-2020 GCC Coordinator
http://bloodsandsteel.blogspot.com/

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:07 pm

berthier wrote:It would be interesting to know which list you are refering to as neither of the Medieval Irish lists can have that many archers and then none as poor.
I didn't look but it sounds like a Norse Irish to me.

berthier

Post by berthier » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:16 pm

It had to be on of the Irish lists from Oath of Fealty or Storm of Arrows (Shiltron Theme) and the Early Medieval Irish does not allow that much light foot.
Christopher Anders
2019-2020 GCC Coordinator
http://bloodsandsteel.blogspot.com/

Robert241167
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Robert241167 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:26 pm

It was Medieval Irish which can have 26 BG's of 6 base poor javelin for 12 points a BG.

Add in a Later Anglo Irish ally and that's another 4 BG's of 4 base poor javelin for 8 points a BG.

That's 30 BG's already for only 344 points.

Dave managed to beat it with an hour to spare and it came near the bottom.

My feeling is that poor LF javelin are not anywhere near as useful in numbers as poor LF bow.

Rob

Delbruck
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Delbruck » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:34 pm

Incas can have the following 19 poor BG's for 246 points:

13 x 6 LF slings
2 x 6 LF bows
1 x 6 LF javelins
2 x 6 MF light spear unprotected
1 x 6 MF light spear protected

Perhaps not as awe inspiring as the Irish, but maybe more useful.

grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:33 pm

david53 wrote:Hi There

Just back from Shiltron 2011 up in Glasgow and during it I played a rather large army in fact the biggest one I have ever faced or seen on the table. It was an Irish Medieval with 42 Battle Groups the majority of 6 bases a few with 8 bases His first drop was for 11 Battle Groups more than my whole army.

Dave
I don't think I've ever played against more than 20 BGs. And the results of your opponent kind of tells why. It's difficult to win if almost all your army is rubbish - just can't bring it's numbers to bear. and then when things go wrong you can get a chain reaction.

Your game must have been fun to watch. Your initial impression when 11BGs went down, then the collapse of the mass of kerns.

What a shame for the player if he's painted it thinking it would be a good army though - all those scruffy foot!

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:47 pm

grahambriggs wrote: What a shame for the player if he's painted it thinking it would be a good army though - all those scruffy foot!
Sounds like he did not.

The post earlier says 1 figure per two bases plus one tree. So 25% the number of troops. I suspect given they were kerns the paint job was about the same quality as my own. poor

navigator
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by navigator » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:30 pm

The army looked phenominal. It ranged across the table. Each tree was almost 4-6 inches tall. The allied trees were covered in snow. As were all the bases of each figure. It was a labour of love army and was by far and away the most visually impressive army i have seen. It was a veritable forest and most intimidating.

azrael86
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by azrael86 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:58 pm

Robert241167 wrote:It was Medieval Irish which can have 26 BG's of 6 base poor javelin for 12 points a BG.

Add in a Later Anglo Irish ally and that's another 4 BG's of 4 base poor javelin for 8 points a BG.

My feeling is that poor LF javelin are not anywhere near as useful in numbers as poor LF bow.

Rob
I suspect it would have been considerably improved by adding galloglaich (which the LF can then hide behind). But the main question is, if he had the forest, did he have three witches as well? :D

david53

Post by david53 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:41 pm

Robert241167 wrote:It was Medieval Irish which can have 26 BG's of 6 base poor javelin for 12 points a BG.

Rob
I only beat it cause it was on steppe, with nowhere to hide. If it had terrain to sit in it would be hard to break it.

david53

Post by david53 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:45 pm

grahambriggs wrote:
david53 wrote:Hi There

Dave
I don't think I've ever played against more than 20 BGs. And the results of your opponent kind of tells why. It's difficult to win if almost all your army is rubbish - just can't bring it's numbers to bear. and then when things go wrong you can get a chain reaction.

Your game must have been fun to watch. Your initial impression when 11BGs went down, then the collapse of the mass of kerns.

What a shame for the player if he's painted it thinking it would be a good army though - all those scruffy foot!
I must admit when he put down 11 BGs each with 3 tree's attached to a BG it was a site too see and my face was a picture.

TB fair to my opponent, if he had terrain to hide in and I had HF it would have been different, but he was a nice gent to play against.

david53

Post by david53 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:48 pm

azrael86 wrote:

Rob
I suspect it would have been considerably improved by adding galloglaich (which the LF can then hide behind). But the main question is, if he had the forest, did he have three witches as well? :D
He had some proper troops 1 x BG Longbow, about 4 BGs of axemen and some LH but no witches which, would have been funny. I have some pictures if I can get Leslie to post them you'll see the good job he did with the army. :)

madaxeman

Post by madaxeman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:20 pm

david53 wrote: I only beat it cause it was on steppe, with nowhere to hide. If it had terrain to sit in it would be hard to break it.
Shouldn't this quote be appended to your standard posting footer ?
http://www.madaxeman.com
Become a fan of Madaxeman on Facebook at Madaxeman.com's Facebook Page.

Return to “Army Design”