Army Size

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

grahambriggs
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by grahambriggs » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:42 am

nikgaukroger wrote:Looks like snow covered fir trees to me from the picture.
Ah the traditional Irish sub arctic forest :D

I don't have a problem with gimmics like this - particularly if it's and army that is ...erm... militarily challenged.

navigator
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by navigator » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:25 pm

everyone who saw the 'army' was amazed at the quality of the modelling and the overall look - it was superb and should be encouraged. And the fatc that the army isnt a great competition army makes it even better; a labour of love. It won best painted army at the event too

david53

Post by david53 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:08 am

navigator wrote:everyone who saw the 'army' was amazed at the quality of the modelling and the overall look - it was superb and should be encouraged. And the fatc that the army isnt a great competition army makes it even better; a labour of love. It won best painted army at the event too
I played against it and the guy was great he was there just to have a great time which i think he did. It was all fun and a few more of these types would'nt cause to much trouble and might just bring a smile when you play them. I think the picts or germans could use this idea :)

grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:51 pm

david53 wrote:
navigator wrote:everyone who saw the 'army' was amazed at the quality of the modelling and the overall look - it was superb and should be encouraged. And the fatc that the army isnt a great competition army makes it even better; a labour of love. It won best painted army at the event too
I played against it and the guy was great he was there just to have a great time which i think he did. It was all fun and a few more of these types would'nt cause to much trouble and might just bring a smile when you play them. I think the picts or germans could use this idea :)
Reminds me of the excellent Tupi army - modelled as Jungle with warriors leaping out - the won the Best Terrain prize at Britcon a few years back.

tubbs2
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by tubbs2 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:10 pm

The Army was Medieval Irish with Anglo-Irish Allies

There were 41 battlegroups in it and the composition was as follows

4 Troop Commanders including 3 Ally Commanders
1 unit of Mob (12 strong) - poor
23 units of Kern Javelin (6 strong) - all poor
2 units of Kern Javelin (8 strong) - all poor
4 units of Kern Javelin (4 strong) - all poor
2 units of Kern Archers (6 strong) - all average
1 unit of Colonist Longbowmen (4 strong) - poor
2 units of Gallowgleigh (6 strong) - average
4 units of Gallowgleigh (4 strong) - average
2 units of Light Horse (4 strong) - average

Each unit of Kern Javelinmen had 2 4cm x 4cm bases and 2 2cm x 4cm bases. Instead of 12 figures there were 6-8 figures and 4 trees (2 large and 2 small). I also managed to fit in some pools of water/big puddles and stones, grasses, tufts etc.

It was great fun to paint and model this army and even more fun to use it. In my hands it is a terrible army which tends to run away far too easily.

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:58 pm

tubbs2 wrote:The Army was Medieval Irish with Anglo-Irish Allies

It was great fun to paint and model this army and even more fun to use it. In my hands it is a terrible army which tends to run away far too easily.
The Army was Medieval Irish with Ent Allies
:shock:

Glad it was fun. I am not certain that it wouldn't run away too easily ALL the time in ANYONE's hands.

Curious did you thnk you would win any games with it?

tubbs2

Post by tubbs2 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:48 am

I was almost certain I wouldn’t win any but then I have been playing FOG since it came out and no matter what army I use I usually lose.

I actually did better this year than last (I think I came 17th out of 20) but last year’s army was Early Nomad from ‘Lost Scrolls’. Again I really enjoyed painting this army but perhaps should not have taken every camel I could!

vitriol
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by vitriol » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:56 am

tubbs2 wrote: Each unit of Kern Javelinmen had 2 4cm x 4cm bases and 2 2cm x 4cm bases. Instead of 12 figures there were 6-8 figures and 4 trees (2 large and 2 small). I also managed to fit in some pools of water/big puddles and stones, grasses, tufts etc.
but now we expect pictures!!!!!!!!!

DavidT
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by DavidT » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:55 pm

I think its a great idea and the results look good, EXCEPT, you'll have to change all your trees! The majority of trees in Ireland during the Middle Ages were deciduous with the predominant species being Oak (approximately 90% of teees).

tubbs2

Post by tubbs2 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:42 pm

I rolled a 6 and decided to invade Norway! :D

Return to “Army Design”