Advice from Plantagenet Experts?

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Saurocet
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Advice from Plantagenet Experts?

Post by Saurocet »

I'm looking to kill two birds with one stone - if possible.

I have a Mongol army all painted up and am thinking that I could create a Late Crusader army as a mated pair for it. On the other hand, I have a great print from a painting by Mark Churms (The Great Siege, Dover Castle 1216; http://www.markchurms.com/mm5/graphics/great-l.jpg) that is inspiring me to build an Early Plantagenet army.

How much cross over is there between a Late Crusader and an Early Plantagenet? I would think building/painting battle groups for one would be the same for the other, except for the Welsh and the turcopoles. Also, would you recommend starting with a Late Crusader army pack (I'm thinking Old Glory 15s) and then adding in a few Welsh and town militia to make the Early Plantagenet?
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

Probably acceptable

English, Early Plantagenet 1154 AD – 1272 AD
Crusader, Later 1220 AD – 1291 AD
azrael86
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by azrael86 »

You need to look at Edward I - before he became king he went on crusade.

Although I suspect you have a bit of a mismatch, truth is, Crossbow is pretty hopeless. Later Crusader is evocative, but it's not very good. Obviously, if it is led by Longshanks as an IC/FC that will help.

1216 is King John - not good. The other option is the De Montforts, obviously.
Irmin
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Irmin »

azrael86 wrote:You need to look at Edward I - before he became king he went on crusade.

Although I suspect you have a bit of a mismatch, truth is, Crossbow is pretty hopeless. Later Crusader is evocative, but it's not very good. Obviously, if it is led by Longshanks as an IC/FC that will help.

1216 is King John - not good. The other option is the De Montforts, obviously.
Which with a little thought in the painting of heraldry could also be used for Feudal french and the Cathar Crusade.
BlackPrince
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by BlackPrince »

From personal experience the Later Crusader army is CRAP in a comp. It does not have any flexibility you almost have to reply on your opponent to stand still while you thump him with your knights. The crossbows will loose in a shoot out with bow or longbow. I would do the Plantagenet over the later Crusader but if you pitched your army circa Third Crusade then I would paint up an extra BG of crossbow and a BG of Military Order Knights then your Plantagenet is off to the Crusades. You would have to be a expert to pick the differences between a 1216 Plantagenet army and Richard's contingent in 1189 to 1192.
Keith

It was better to leave disputing about the faith to the theologians and just run argumentative non-believers through with the sword (Louis IX).

Return to “Army Design”