Late Assyrian HI question

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

jrd
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Late Assyrian HI question

Post by jrd » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:45 am

Quick question - do you have a view yet on how you are likely to classify later Assyrian HI? Opinion seems to be divided among rule-writers whether they operated in mixed units of spear and bow or not. Do you have a view on this yet? I'd like ot know whether I need to buy a lot of bow to add to my existing DBM Assyrian army, where they are graded as Sp with Ps support...

Thanks,

John

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:48 am

I suspect that you will need to be buying some more archers.

It looks like they will be front rank heavy foot spear, rear rank medium foot bow which will at least give them a reasonable amount of missile fire, something they seem to have had historically.

tamerlane
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by tamerlane » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:54 am

What sort of spear is the front rank going to be - Light Spear?

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:17 am

Most likely light spear.

OldenTired
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by OldenTired » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:06 am

hammy wrote:I suspect that you will need to be buying some more archers.

It looks like they will be front rank heavy foot spear, rear rank medium foot bow which will at least give them a reasonable amount of missile fire, something they seem to have had historically.
any chance they'll be able to have slings in the same support role? (i'm assuming we're talking about the sargonids).

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:33 am

OldenTired wrote:
hammy wrote:I suspect that you will need to be buying some more archers.

any chance they'll be able to have slings in the same support role? (i'm assuming we're talking about the sargonids).
Absolutely not. Heavy slingers seem only to have been used in sieges and were probably dismounted charioteers.

Apart from Guards the foot are front rank HF (tower shields) or MF (smaller round shields) light spear, swordsmen, rear rank MF bow.

jrd

Thanks

Post by jrd » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:06 pm

Thanks for the help. More archers it is, then...

John

jrd

Thanks

Post by jrd » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:12 pm

Thanks for the help. More archers it is, then...

And, hopefully, FoG will portray the Assyrian army to an infantry army with a few supporting chariots and cavalry, rather than a chariot and cavalry army with a handfull of supporting infantry as it is in DBM, grrr... :-)

John

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Thanks

Post by rbodleyscott » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:23 pm

jrd wrote:Thanks for the help. More archers it is, then...

And, hopefully, FoG will portray the Assyrian army to an infantry army with a few supporting chariots and cavalry, rather than a chariot and cavalry army with a handfull of supporting infantry as it is in DBM, grrr... :-)
The list allows it to be fielded either way. The central armies did have rather a lot of chariots and cavalry!

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:26 pm

rbodleyscott wrote: The list allows it to be fielded either way. The central armies did have rather a lot of chariots and cavalry!
What's a good source for reading on this period of the assyrian army? :?:

jrd

Post by jrd » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:27 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:
jrd wrote:Thanks for the help. More archers it is, then...

The list allows it to be fielded either way. The central armies did have rather a lot of chariots and cavalry!
Really? I'm no expert but the figures I've seen suggest a ratio of at least 10:1 infantry to cavalry, and a lot more cavalry than chariots. I'd be most interested if you could point me at sources which suggest differently.

Thanks,

John

OldenTired

Post by OldenTired » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:02 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:
OldenTired wrote:
Absolutely not. Heavy slingers seem only to have been used in sieges and were probably dismounted charioteers.

Apart from Guards the foot are front rank HF (tower shields) or MF (smaller round shields) light spear, swordsmen, rear rank MF bow.
ah. there's my bad reading again.

Return to “Army Design”