Elephants + Pikes + Impact Foot = ???

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Mahatma
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Elephants + Pikes + Impact Foot = ???

Post by Mahatma » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:04 pm

Is there any ancient army which includeds these three BG's?

The closest I can think of is Alexandrian Macedonians with Thracian MF with HW's.

In an 800 point game, how should an army with pikes and elephants be used? I hear of two methods; intersperce the elephants in with the pikes, and placing elephants on the flanks.

I'd like some decent MF to occupy terrain and be a nuisance to Roman Legionaires, who were a pain in the ass in my last and only game. Superior, armoured, impact foot crack troops is what they are.

I don't own Immortal Fire, but my opponent does so I'll have to quickly create an army list on Friday.

I'm thinking of:
2x12 Pikes
2x2 Elephants
1x6 Thracian MF HW
1x4 LH
1x6 Cv

Can I use Cretan archers? I've always been fond of them.

chrisrivers
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by chrisrivers » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:08 pm

Later Seleucid has these 3 types between 166 BC and 124 BC.

babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by babyshark » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:47 pm

And Later Seleucid is in the Rise of Rome book, not Immortal Fire. Of course you own RoR . . . ?

:D

Marc

OldenTired
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by OldenTired » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:59 am

actually... i think you could field a selecuid early successor list with those bases.

and yes, you can run with cretans. you can also have 6-8 bases of MF thureophoroi upgraded to armoured offensive spearmen... that'll give the legions a run for their money.

Thranite

Post by Thranite » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:20 pm

I believe that one of the Pyrrhic lists will give you all three options (the greek campaign has impact foot, iirc).
Show yourself a brave man, as a Spartiate should; and do you, allies, follow him like men, and remember that zeal, honor, and obedience mark the good soldier.

Thucydides 5.9.9

timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:52 pm

Take care with the pikes as they are fragile against Superior Armoured Legionaires. The Thracians if Heavy Weapon can pose problems for the Armoured Romans. The thureophoroi are also a real pain. They plus Impact Foot in nasty stuff can give the Romans a real headache - I know. Good luck and watch the flanks of the phalanx.

Quintus
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Quintus » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:10 pm

Pyrrhic plus Early Successor armies.

I've never been able to work out how such troops were combined though. Pike plus elephant is easy, it's the Galatians plus pike that gets me every time. That said, Pyrrhus was said to have reckoned his defeat of Antigonos Gonatas' Galatians as the finest action he and his army had undertaken, but that was more a compliment to the prowess of the Galatians as no mention is made of a combined Galatian/phalanx battle line.

daleivan
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by daleivan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:55 pm

timmy1 wrote:Take care with the pikes as they are fragile against Superior Armoured Legionaires. The Thracians if Heavy Weapon can pose problems for the Armoured Romans. The thureophoroi are also a real pain. They plus Impact Foot in nasty stuff can give the Romans a real headache - I know. Good luck and watch the flanks of the phalanx.
I second this--and I've been playing LRR against Ptolemaics :wink:
In my last battle the enemy's Thracians held up one of my superior legions for several turns. I would echo something that Nik and others have said on other threads on pike--24 is the minimum. If you can buy more the enemy will be facing a formidable steamroller. Fragile in a sense against superior armored legionaires, but still pretty tough.

Cheers,

Dale

footslogger

Post by footslogger » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:55 pm

"The Thracians if Heavy Weapon can pose problems for the Armoured Romans."

Not if the Romans are skilled swordsmen they won't.

:shock:

daleivan

Post by daleivan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:01 pm

footslogger wrote:"The Thracians if Heavy Weapon can pose problems for the Armoured Romans."

Not if the Romans are skilled swordsmen they won't.

:shock:
Definitely true that superior legionaries are better against heavy weapon then average legionaries but I'd take heavy weapon in melee over swordsmen to fight the skilled sword--the heavy weapon still negates the armor bonus the legionaries get, dropping the POA difference to +1 for the Romans. In my battle against the thracians a Ptolemaic commander joined that BG's front rank, making them in effect, superior for close combat rolls. My edge in POA wasn't enough given so-so luck on my part. Still, at the end of the game, that commander had been killed and things were now looking bad for the Thracians.

Cheers,

Dale

footslogger

Post by footslogger » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:03 pm

Those thracians are going to get chewed up. Less quickly in rough going than in the open, but they will still get chewed up.

timmy1

Post by timmy1 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:51 pm

Footslogger, as the owner of a Principiate Roman army I hope you are right but I am NOT sending Superior Skilled swordsmen into rough to find out.

daleivan

Post by daleivan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:04 pm

timmy1 wrote:Footslogger, as the owner of a Principiate Roman army I hope you are right but I am NOT sending Superior Skilled swordsmen into rough to find out.
:lol:
As the owner of a Late Republican army I share your resolve about not sending superior skilled sword into rough against Thracians. Sending in Illyrian MF instead I'd try...

Dale

MarkSieber
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by MarkSieber » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:11 am

But Dale, my Thracians and Thureophoroi would be happy to welcome them. :wink:

timmy1

Post by timmy1 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:11 am

I have tried sending superior numbers of Auxilia, led by a TC, into Rough against Thracians and got precisely nowhere.

Mahatma

pikes

Post by Mahatma » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:03 pm

Is putting pikes 5 deep when facing very good quality BG's a good idea? I can see the advantaged but it leads to a narrow frontage and easy overlaps.

Is there anything that can take on crack legionaries in the same era?

Also, it's been suggested to put Elephants on the flanks, but does this not lead to overlaps and too many death rolls? I was thinking of something like this:

MF-PK-EL-PK-EL-PK-MF

The splitting the group if I have two targets to attack. The MF would keep the enemy off the flanks of the pikes while the main line of EL and PK get stuck in. Probably too simplistic.

ethan
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: pikes

Post by ethan » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:05 pm

Mahatma wrote: Is there anything that can take on crack legionaries in the same era?
Super Cataphracts certainly can (although at 36-40AP a file taking on 28 that is pricey), Super armoured lancer cav fight them at evens.

Realistically no foot in any period can really take on Super, armoured, SSw, impact foot. So in that sense high quality roman legions are the premier foot in teh game.

OldenTired

Re: pikes

Post by OldenTired » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:01 pm

ethan wrote:
Mahatma wrote: Is there anything that can take on crack legionaries in the same era?
Super Cataphracts certainly can (although at 36-40AP a file taking on 28 that is pricey), Super armoured lancer cav fight them at evens.

Realistically no foot in any period can really take on Super, armoured, SSw, impact foot. So in that sense high quality roman legions are the premier foot in teh game.
LF bow do the trick nicely. meanwhile you're crushing his weak roman flanks with CV superior armoured lancers...

unfortunately that sometimes means hiding your pikes on top of a hill.

Mahatma

Post by Mahatma » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:22 pm

So I put a rough 600pt army together.

1x FC
2x TC
8x Argyraspides. HF, Sup, Pro, Dr, Pikes
8x Phalanx. HF, Ave, Pro, Dr, Pikes
8x Phalanx. HF, Ave, Pro, Dr, Pikes
6x Tracians. MF, Ave, Unpro, Undr, HW.
4x Cataphracts. Superior
4x Cataphracts. Superior
6x Slingers. Poor, undrilled.
6x Slingers. Poor, undrilled.
2x Elephants.
4x Horse Archers. Ave, unpro, undr.

Have no idea about tactics. Probably stall one flank with MF in terrain and LH. Slingers infront of pike wall. Elephants and Cataphracts used as a torpedo to break other flank.

Warfare has never been so simple.

deadtorius
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by deadtorius » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:13 am

Just a thought, keep the elephants to the outside of the pike blocks, that way if any sneaky cav manages to try and flank you they lose dice for being disordered. This weekend routed Roman Gaul 6X cav superior armoured in 2 games, and the elephants were left without a scratch. I am guessing pike armies dont want to stand back but want to roll forward. My own dilema is to make my pike army archers MF for more shooting dice or LF so they can run away if charged.

Return to “Army Design”