Elephants + Pikes + Impact Foot = ???

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

Mahatma
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Mahatma »

Is this any better?

1x FC
2x TC
8x Argyraspides. HF, Sup, Pro, Dr, Pikes
8x Phalanx. HF, Ave, Pro, Dr, Pikes
8x Phalanx. HF, Ave, Pro, Dr, Pikes
6x Tracians. MF, Ave, Unpro, Undr, HW.
6x Cataphracts. Superior
2x Elephants
6x Slingers. Poor, undrilled.
6x Slingers. Poor, undrilled.
2x Elephants.
4x Horse Archers. Ave, unpro, undr.

I didn't like the 4 cataphracts as it's too easy to take 1 in 3 combat hits and start suffering CMT penalties, so I increased one BG to 6 and dropped the other Cataphract BG, then got me 2 more Elephants.

Order of march is:
1-3: LH and slingers.
4-6: Phlanx
7-8: Elephants
9-10: Thracians and Cataphracts.
n10cd12
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by n10cd12 »

I played my 1st late Seleucid game this weekend against Carthaginians: (mine is 800 vs your 600 though)

1x FC
1x TC
12x Argyraspides. HF, Sup, Pro, Dr, Pikes
12x Phalanx. HF, Ave, Pro, Dr, Pikes
4x Companions, Elite
6x Cataphracts. Superior, Drilled
6x Thureophoroi, Ave, Pro, Off Spear, Drilled
2x Elephants
8x Bow. LF, Poor, undrilled.
8x Bow. LF, Poor, undrilled.
Parthian Ally
1xTC
6x Cataphracts. Superior, Undrilled

796 points

I decided to maximize Cataphracts in an attempt to overwhelm the Carthaginian Cav I was expecting. My opponent went much heavier in light foot and light horse than I expected however. I lost the skirmish battle pretty badly, but of course I was expecting that. After he was up 6-0 (4 for the 2 LF bow groups and my camp) my right wing (Companions, Drilled Cats, Elephants and spear) hit his mixed light horse/cav wing and overwhelmed it. (Elite companions with commander fighting is pretty brutal).

My Phalanx never made it across the field before his line buckled.

Thoughts:
- Although the pikes never made it across the field I think the small point cost to make the Argyraspides superior is worth it.

Although I was skeptical Elephants would be worth the points, they did well hitting some medium foot spears in an open field.

I think grouping elephants with the pikes will just make weaker wings that your opponents can take strong advantage of. Lumbering forward with the pikes seems to bring a lot of psychology and thus force your opponent to make odd flank decisions to try to win out there before they have to face the pikes. You need to have great troops out there to take advantage of this.

-D

Return to “Army Design”