Why is FOG2 export Battles Not the Same Troops

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

OmegaOm
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Why is FOG2 export Battles Not the Same Troops

Post by OmegaOm » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:08 pm

Seems the FOG2 battle aint the same. I had 4 hoplites units and 10 shield bearers in FOGE. Yet in FOG2 I had like 14 hoplites and 7 Shield bearers, the proportions were not even the same.

Can some one explain this to me please? I think the units should be exactly the same at least. Whats the point of fighting a battle that doesnt even have the same amount troops as FOGE, might as well not even have the export function. Just play games separately.

w_michael
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Re: Why is FOG2 export Battles Not the Same Troops

Post by w_michael » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:25 am

FOG2 and FOGE are two different games by two different developers. The translation of units from one to the other tries to emphasize the same game balance as much as possible. If you don't like the experience then just stick with the FOGE battle system. I enjoy the tactical battles that FOG2 offers, but I do not expect them to necessarily generate the same battle result.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns & Field of Glory series enthusiast

SuitedQueens
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by SuitedQueens » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:57 am

Here's an excerpt right from the manual:
"In addition, some units translate to a mixture of FOG2 units, because this leads to more historically realistic armies. Pre-Marian Roman legionary units translate to a mixture of hastati/principes and triarii units, in approximately a 2:1 ratio. Horse archer units, if present in large numbers, translate to a mixture of Light Horse and Cavalry"

AI devalues Comagene Cavalry, regarding it as your typical Noble Cavalry unit. But when you export to FoG 2 it turns into Persian_Cav_Jav_Prot (Iranian Armoured Cavalry) of superior quality. There are more examples like this, especially if you use EU Barbaroroum or TT mods. Take a quick look at Units.csv file to at least know what to expect.

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:51 am

Numbers can be modified because of previous damages, experience or difference in how the unit is worth in Empires compared to FOG II. For example if you have several damaged units in Empires, then you might have only a few shown in FOG II. Or if a given unit is very cheap in Empires but somehow costly in FOG II, to prevent any exploit, you'll not get a 1:1 conversion ratio.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:22 am

OmegaOm wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:08 pm
Seems the FOG2 battle aint the same. I had 4 hoplites units and 10 shield bearers in FOGE. Yet in FOG2 I had like 14 hoplites and 7 Shield bearers, the proportions were not even the same.

Can some one explain this to me please? I think the units should be exactly the same at least. Whats the point of fighting a battle that doesnt even have the same amount troops as FOGE, might as well not even have the export function. Just play games separately.
I have copied my reply from the STEAM forum:

The battle systems are entirely different, and different nations' Empires units of the same type convert to different FOG2 unit types, to reflect the historical composition of each nation's army. Hence simply converting the units on a 1:1 basis (or any other constant ratio) would not maintain the relative combat strength of the two armies in the respective battle systems.

Conversion ratios therefore differ for different Empires unit types and nations, depending on what they convert to in FOG2. Conversion ratios are based on the disparity between the Empires "points value" of the unit and the FOG2 points cost of the unit type it converts to. These "points values" in each game are intended to reflect the unit type's strength in the respective game battle systems.

If a high points value Empires unit translates to a cheap FOG unit, the conversion ratio will be higher and vice versa. So in terms of "points", and hopefully actual battle strength, the balance should be maintained.

Obviously this is a compromise to make two different game systems, from two different studios and development teams, work together as well as they can, while avoiding distorting the strategic balance between the opposing armies.
Richard Bodley Scott

OmegaOm

Post by OmegaOm » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:56 pm

Thanks Man > I get it now. All good

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”