What is the best composition of an army?

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

duirixuanyan
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

What is the best composition of an army?

Post by duirixuanyan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:41 am

On hills,8 frontage and flank is 2, so the best is 6HI+2cavalry+8support, is it right?
Plain: 10+4
Hills and arid hills: 6+2
Steppes and arid Steppes: 8 + 6
Desert: 8 + 8

Light cavalry or archer, which is better support?
Is elephant cavalry?

Surt
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: What is the best composition of an army?

Post by Surt » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:42 am

I usually go with archers and some light cavalry and skirmishers, its expensive to have 16 archers in every army, you need some light cavalry for pursuit and filling up with some skirmishers for the extra wide combats in plains and desert. In the late game I usually throw in some reservers in case I get to multiple combat rounds so that I have fresh troops for each round.
But your question makes me question if only the two active rows gets to do the pursuit or all the army, including the 3rd row light cavalry does.

Swuul
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Swuul » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:29 am

duirixuanyan wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:41 am
On hills,8 frontage and flank is 2, so the best is 6HI+2cavalry+8support, is it right?

Is elephant cavalry?
Let's first answer with the most obvious answer: It all depends.

Then the more detailed answers:

Elephants are not cavalry for deployment purposes, if you are asking that. Phants deploy in center, not on the cavalry flanks.

Light cavalry and archers have a different role, so they can't really be compared. Horse Archers and Light infantry (aka skirmishers) provide support from back-row just like archers. Archers and horse archers generally have the higher ranged number (all units who can support have a ranged damage number, which is either "1", "2" or "3"; you can see this number in the unit sheet), which is usually a "2", while most light infantry (slingers etc) usually have a "1"; some exceptional units (like rhodesian archers) have a one higher number.
But not even that is the whole truth. Many light infantry have the "Mountainmen" ability, and if you are going to fight in mountains or hills, their value increase comparatively (as they can then take a place in the front line quite effectively too).

Likewise, usually HI is better than MI, no questions asked. But if you are in hills, you have experieced Medium Infantry, then they will be more effective than not so experienced Heavy Infantry. Make no mistake, Heavy Infantry with their 3 hitpoints usually trumps all (no matter that they have the negative trait for fighting in bad terrain), Experience is a big difference maker. As you know, Experience affects the minimum dice-roll in combat. Thus if you have the option to bring five star Medium Foot or two star Heavy Foot to a battle fought in Hills, I might prefer the Medium Foot (and if fighting in Swamp, Forest or Mountains there would be absolutely zero doubt if the Medium Foot would be the better option or not).

Also remember that some Heavy Foot, such as Legions, can fight from the support rank too. This again changes the equation.

Usually (unless in Steppe terrain) I build generic armies of 4 HI, 2 MI, 2 Cavalry, 2 Light Horse, 6 skirmishers/archers. If money is short, then I swap 2 HI out for 2 MI in. This kind of generic armies will be handle to most frotage issues in non-open terrain For larger battles in open terrain I can then bring two such generic armies together. It is usually smart to have two armies working closely together in tande, within support range of each other. Bring them together for large battles in open terrain, and even if the commanding general croaks then the other general can take command in future rounds.

For Steppe lands build all horse armies, so that you can take advantage of their speed. Cavalry, Horse Archers and Light Horse. If the enemy is using heavy infantry in Steppes, try to avoid them, run around, cut supply-routes, conquer regions to disrupt hostile Provinces (and hopefully be able to form your own in place), and when the hostile heavy infantry army starts to starve it is time to finish them off. Bringing Cataphracts, if you can get them from somewhere, is quite the killer in Steppe battles, as Cataphracts will run over hostile regular cavalry, and they can fight evenly with stubborn heavy infantry lines too.
There are three kinds of people, those who can count and those who can't.

Gray Fox
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Gray Fox » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:25 pm

I prefer "one size fits all". I aim for a stack with 8 Heavy Cavalry, 16 Heavy Infantry and 16 Light Cavalry/Horse Archers. If I have a route through rough terrain, then I split the Army in two equal "Divisions" and each can fill the frontage required.

If you use Diplomacy to get certain factions to like yours, then you can do a transaction for their Cataphracts, Horse Archers or Galatian Infantry. This works no matter where your faction is on the map and the units usually have three stars of experience. So you can make one elite Army to rule them all!

One other point is to make experienced units. I choose one National Arsenal Province (NAP) where I build exclusively military buildings. When the max is reached, I shift the whole population to farming and continue to build red buildings as the region grows. If the NAP capital has a certain building and three other regions do as well, then my units get full experience points plus three times half xps. If your faction is in a Golden Age, then you get 10 xps more. As the Seluecids, my NAP had a Provisioner and two Military Academies by turn 100. I make it a point to replace any low experience units in my Armies ASAP.

Good Luck!
For new players: Grand Strategy AAR and Steam Guide: Tips for new players

duirixuanyan
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by duirixuanyan » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:47 am

Swuul wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:29 am
duirixuanyan wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:41 am

Is elephant cavalry?
Let's first answer with the most obvious answer: It all depends.

Then the more detailed answers:

Elephants are not cavalry for deployment purposes, if you are asking that. Phants deploy in center, not on the cavalry flanks.

Light cavalry and archers have a different role, so they can't really be compared. Horse Archers and Light infantry (aka skirmishers) provide support from back-row just like archers. Archers and horse archers generally have the higher ranged number (all units who can support have a ranged damage number, which is either "1", "2" or "3"; you can see this number in the unit sheet), which is usually a "2", while most light infantry (slingers etc) usually have a "1"; some exceptional units (like rhodesian archers) have a one higher number.
But not even that is the whole truth. Many light infantry have the "Mountainmen" ability, and if you are going to fight in mountains or hills, their value increase comparatively (as they can then take a place in the front line quite effectively too).

Likewise, usually HI is better than MI, no questions asked. But if you are in hills, you have experieced Medium Infantry, then they will be more effective than not so experienced Heavy Infantry. Make no mistake, Heavy Infantry with their 3 hitpoints usually trumps all (no matter that they have the negative trait for fighting in bad terrain), Experience is a big difference maker. As you know, Experience affects the minimum dice-roll in combat. Thus if you have the option to bring five star Medium Foot or two star Heavy Foot to a battle fought in Hills, I might prefer the Medium Foot (and if fighting in Swamp, Forest or Mountains there would be absolutely zero doubt if the Medium Foot would be the better option or not).

Also remember that some Heavy Foot, such as Legions, can fight from the support rank too. This again changes the equation.

Usually (unless in Steppe terrain) I build generic armies of 4 HI, 2 MI, 2 Cavalry, 2 Light Horse, 6 skirmishers/archers. If money is short, then I swap 2 HI out for 2 MI in. This kind of generic armies will be handle to most frotage issues in non-open terrain For larger battles in open terrain I can then bring two such generic armies together. It is usually smart to have two armies working closely together in tande, within support range of each other. Bring them together for large battles in open terrain, and even if the commanding general croaks then the other general can take command in future rounds.

For Steppe lands build all horse armies, so that you can take advantage of their speed. Cavalry, Horse Archers and Light Horse. If the enemy is using heavy infantry in Steppes, try to avoid them, run around, cut supply-routes, conquer regions to disrupt hostile Provinces (and hopefully be able to form your own in place), and when the hostile heavy infantry army starts to starve it is time to finish them off. Bringing Cataphracts, if you can get them from somewhere, is quite the killer in Steppe battles, as Cataphracts will run over hostile regular cavalry, and they can fight evenly with stubborn heavy infantry lines too.
Great. Thank you.

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:18 am

You can only get provincial units from an AI if it is your neighbor though.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

duirixuanyan
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by duirixuanyan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:39 am

Pocus wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:18 am
What's the definition of neighbor? Within 3 of 4 regions?

Gray Fox

Post by Gray Fox » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:37 pm

Pocus wrote:
Yes, I skipped a step. You get them to like you, do a transaction for a region in their homeland and then get the units from your new neighbor. ;)
For new players: Grand Strategy AAR and Steam Guide: Tips for new players

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:34 pm

duirixuanyan wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:39 am
Pocus wrote:
What's the definition of neighbor? Within 3 of 4 regions?
Adjacent for 2 land regions, but sea neighbors allow one intervening water region. That's a loose definition though as the distance is based on actual pixels distance for sea neighbors.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”