v1.3.3+DLC - THANK YOU - THANK YOU !!!

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

MarkShot
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

v1.3.3+DLC - THANK YOU - THANK YOU !!!

Post by MarkShot » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:41 pm

I am not going to divulge my situation, since I don't want suggestions.

I had a great time with my first stage conquest followed by about 20 years of growth and pacification. Now, although still in the first 1/3 of the game, I feel that I have seen my true competition as he has finally shown his hand.

After the pacification, I am well set for another war. I am in the mobilization phase at the moment. But the important issue which lies before me is grand strategy ... AND HOW COOL IS THAT SINCE I DID ACTUALLY BUY THIS AS A GRAND STRATEGY GAME; no one of these fight 1,000 similar battles; paint the map; and cross the finish line of a tour de force marathon game.

So, one option is a conservative plan that would lead to victory in the time span of the game. This war to take key terrain, in the enemy's face (sphere of influence) that will make future strikes upon my homeland easy to counter and hard for him to launch strong and deep blows.

However, another option more difficult to do (but, of great interest, is the decisive war). If played well I could destabilize his whole empire by virtue of my attack. If it succeeds, his empire is likely to shatter, and probably will be beyond ever mounting a serious challenge again (as he is engaged in other wars and I think his enemies will tear him to shreds).

So, why write such an obscure message?

Well, I wanted to say thank you. v1.1.0 was playable, but problematic. However, v1.3.3 is solid. What a fantastic game! 500 turns and yet not monotonous. 500 turns and yet there are key moments of transition and grand strategy nicely spread about. 500 turns and battles are animated and can be quite exciting. Or you can simply click to the obvious conclusion and not waste time.

Pocus, this is all very well done!!! THANK YOU.

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Re: v1.3.3+DLC - THANK YOU - THANK YOU !!!

Post by Pocus » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:49 pm

Hopefully I will continue on this trend then :D
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

MarkShot

Post by MarkShot » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:36 am

I think AGEv1 and AGEv2 had interesting and very detailed and reported on combat resolution.

But it really took quite a bit of time and expertise to appreciate what was going on.

I think the current system you came up with is close to perfect. A second grader could follow the flow, and it very quickly goes from numbers to pure intuition.

I think some of the stack management features where better done in AGE, but I suspect part of that is that you built this on top of Slitherine's kernel and not from the ground up. (Like the drag and dropping of tabs was very intuitive in AGE and less so in Empires.)

PS: I will never forget Sandra's map for BOA. What a piece of art work! (As a software engineer, it made me appreciate people with traditional skills.)

MarkShot

Post by MarkShot » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:09 pm

Here is another thank you ...

There are quite a few ways to manage regional building. I wasn't too fond of the auto-pilot (I may use in the very late game when I cannot possibly lose). In the early game (say 150 turns), I work off the message log.

Somewhat later, I just use the region ledger.

But by far, the SPACE BAR JUMP added is absolutely the best way mid to end game ... if you really don't want to give up control to the auto-pilot.

If those who are not software engineers are looking for a good example of "ergonomic design" this feature is precisely that. It has reduced multiple screens, clicks, and keystrokes to a single press of the most used key on the key board. This is the very essence of ergonomic design!!!

Again very nicely done!!! For those who may point out features found in Creative Assembly or Paradox Studios offerings absent in Empires ... it is important to realize that: (1) This was largely a solo effort, and (2) The whole cost to own this experience is pretty much in line with a price point not seen since the year 2000.

Just keep on going, Pocus. This game is a gem. Having seen the first ACW game get like 16 patches, I know we are not even close to your personal conception of perfection. This game is only going to get better.

Thanks!

Surt

Post by Surt » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:29 pm

MarkShot wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:09 pm
Here is another thank you ...

But by far, the SPACE BAR JUMP added is absolutely the best way mid to end game ... if you really don't want to give up control to the auto-pilot.

Thanks!
I can only agree.

MarkShot

Post by MarkShot » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:59 am

I never expected it, but now that I am coming down to the finish line, I am once again using the log as I try to finish with max honors! Who would have thought!

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”