Having played the game for too long I noticed ...

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Surt
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Having played the game for too long I noticed ...

Post by Surt » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:19 pm

A few things.

QOL:
could we have a red line between two pop where it would go negative and a yellow where a turns to finish changes, and a green where it finishes in 1 turn.
showing how many infra is needed to bring a build 1 turn down and how many to 1 turn.
an option that if we select an idle region the build window opens immediately, saves a lot of clicking.
building slots in the region overview shows how many buildings, but actually I would like to see remaining slots, maybe as an option.
Adding impediments to the ledger (under unique buildings maybe?)
Missing notification that an effect has run out.
Suppress unrest: can be used on a province that already have it.
Reinforce army and pursue army should be able to specify to use a land route SHIFT, and if possible avoid enemy units/areas (ALT/CTRL?), if no route stop with notification.
When deciding which route to take add a cost of 10? to enemy controlled/enemy army present provinces/xxx with blizzards or scorching, halt when reaching these to stop stupid movements.
When two armies merge with only one having a general, the general should continue to be the commander and not be returned to reserve is the order of merge is to merge with the general less one.
Fortified city is missing the hint that it will disappear at pop 12.
Limit the number of regional decisions of one type to the lower of 4 and half the available slots. I don't really need those 7 disperse slaves. And in late game i don't need so many implant trade settlements.
Split army in half, press shift-split?

Potential bugs:

When showing the trade goods overlay and showing Regional decisions, the goods disappear, which they shouldn't?
Palace guards I national wonder, can be build multiple times when the previous is upgraded.
Eroded Soil: can be removed by Orchard, but none of the regions having this impediment could build an Orchard.
Dense Forrest: same, can't build sawmill at some locations.
Old Crone Hut: came several times for Sardinia for Carthage even when it was already there.
General assigned to city defenders doesn't help defence? ie. no rolls, disappointing to see my nice 0-1 +2 siege do nothing as defender.
Armies that are in a province that gets raided doesn't seem to do anything.
Army renaming can in some cases cause the name to disappear through an unknown order of reloads, loads, quits.
In some cases Urban militia doesn't seem to use missiles on enemy? (maybe all are exhausted?)

Balance:

Athenae mediases while at war with Rome, with nearly all their provinces occupied by Rome, but all reverts to the new client state Athenae, the Senate does not approve! (transfer to Rome or DoW)
Athenae mediases too often (every game?)
Persia absorbs client state that is fully occupied, which returns it to Persian control, the Senate does not approve!
When you make peace with someone your armies in that territory starts starving. (draw supply from nearest friendly region / pay gold for local food?)
The peace cost of the capital needs to be increased, it makes no sense that Sparta accepts to surrender Sparta before all else is lost.
Uprisings are trivially defeated: especially in Persia where only few regions outright change side and a few gets militarily controlled.
- Babylon revolted at least 5 times against Persia.
- Cyrus the Younger, famous from the march of the 10000 aka. Anabasis. Marched from Sardis to Cunaxa (10 of 14 regions to Persis), all regions switched side when he marched through iirc.
AI Storming Cities : works nice for smaller cities, but more fortified cities they just die.
Immortals : might be slightly overpowered in numbers <imaging a pic with 8 immortals in one army>

Nitpicking:
Uprisings should have the main unhappy pop as rebels, not Semitics in an occupied region of Spain where there are no Semitic pops. Mostly Hispanics with on Celtic slave.
Army enumeration generates 2 II. Athenae Army, possible the first II. Army was out sailing, under the name I. Athenae Fleet even though a I. Fleet, when the 2nd II. Army was created. <ArmyEnum>
When I had just made the Olbia province, Ionia defended with Olbian Warbands, where earlier defences were with Citizen Hoplites.

MarkShot

Re: Having played the game for too long I noticed ...

Post by MarkShot » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:21 pm

Could we have better naval transport handling?

Could it be like Rome Total War 2 where an army boards a fleet, they travel together, but are conceptually separate?

This loss of a general or admiral and having it all become one big stack is just clunky.

Thanks.

Surt

Post by Surt » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:13 pm

MarkShot wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:21 pm
Could we have better naval transport handling?

Could it be like Rome Total War 2 where an army boards a fleet, they travel together, but are conceptually separate?

This loss of a general or admiral and having it all become one big stack is just clunky.

Thanks.
Yes, I forgot that, thanks.

MarkShot

Post by MarkShot » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:35 am

I asked before, but have a game option in settings with undo:

* Reset faction palette|undo and that you can do this forward of backwards multiple times.

Sometime, it is really confusing when two discrete factions border each other with the identical color.

Thanks.

Surt

Post by Surt » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:43 am

When you get a slave in a region and there is an army (or fleet?) the army is getting the focus and not the region.

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:35 am

I'm saving this thread for the next patch (not the one under QA, soon to be released ...)
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

Surt

Post by Surt » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:57 pm

--- You can use scroll-wheel. ***A shift-click on structure/pop/everything scrolling to move all left/right would also be nice.
Not all impediments are left aligned to make them easy to spot.
When a general dies, the garrison can be shown instead of the army he led.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”