Is Placing in the Top Three a Win?

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

w_michael
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Is Placing in the Top Three a Win?

Post by w_michael » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:27 am

If you play a secondary or tertiary nation then placing first is almost impossible against the likes of Rome, Persia or Egypt. I consider placing in the top three a win if I am not playing a favoured nation. I am playing on the Insane level. Anyone else think that way?
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns & Field of Glory II enthusiast

DSP3000
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Is Placing in the Top Three a Win?

Post by DSP3000 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:12 am

It does seem practically impossible to beat Persia with any of the small tribes without waging war on them. I’m a pretty new player but I have only been trying out the small tribes. The best way I can figure to do it is to focus on gold and metal and finance all the smaller neighbors to fight them.

I tried that once with Hiberni to limited success. The British isles are pretty easy to conquer and defend early and I just focused on my economy to pay for wars. This helped keep Egypt from being consumed and for a few decades Persia was having considerable trouble with the desert and steppe tribes but eventually recovered and I just couldn’t pump enough supplies out without expanding in to the mess that is Gaul. By then it was too late to achieve victory.

I was able to make the top 3 as Belgae but that was mostly luck. Egypt collapsed early and Rome and Etrusci fought a war that lasted over a century which allowed me to expand easily and keep them contained culturally.

Yeah given the current balance just making the top 3 is a challenge and requires the right pieces to fall in place. This is why I prefer the DLC campaign since it is a much more even playing field

Surt
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Surt » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:37 pm

Now I haven't yet tried to play one of the tribes on insane, as that is insane, but the way to win must be nearly the same, weather the primary CDR crisis, weather the 2nd CDR crisis, expand as long as you are in top half of the green zone, build a culture building as one of the first buildings to get the legacy show running, and as the OP stated support Egypt. I don't know if its worth supporting Lydia else one of the Greek factions should be supported so taht Persia doesn't get into permanent golden age.

DSP3000

Post by DSP3000 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:08 am

Surt wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:37 pm
Now I haven't yet tried to play one of the tribes on insane, as that is insane, but the way to win must be nearly the same, weather the primary CDR crisis, weather the 2nd CDR crisis, expand as long as you are in top half of the green zone, build a culture building as one of the first buildings to get the legacy show running, and as the OP stated support Egypt. I don't know if its worth supporting Lydia else one of the Greek factions should be supported so taht Persia doesn't get into permanent golden age.
That is where FOG 2 comes in to play. It takes a lot longer though but it’s a must on higher difficulty. I use my generals for auto battle and I import the battles for my main army. The one the king is commanding.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”