Field of Glory : Empires is awesome; basically Darkest Hour: Rome

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

uvikamelis9
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Field of Glory : Empires is awesome; basically Darkest Hour: Rome

Post by uvikamelis9 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:00 pm

Not a Paradox game, I know, but a 0-upvotes totally uninformative post on this sub made me look into it, so I thought I'd try a real post. Plus I don't think the "appropriate sub" exists...

Just like Darkest Hour, it has simple, but tactically meaningful combat, where supply, morale, leadership, terrain are really important. One composition might be fast, another might be better at sieging. Mercenaries will drain your gold fast; there's no one-size-fits-all army. And it's very combat focused. There are a few decisions, but mostly you build unit + buildings, then you fight. Lots of relevant minor states, different nations get very different armies. Just like Darkest Hour.

It also has a bit more advanced diplomacy (ck2 style gift/threaten/alliance/non-agression), and you are presented with random building choices. But there's one way in which it stands out from all other games that came before it, and that is the culture mechanic. A bit like Civ5, the larger your nation, the harder culture is to get. But unlike Civ5 culture, Empires culture:

is the goal of the game

practically determines your people's loyalty (as well as giving other major bonuses)appvalley tutuapp tweakbox

is massively reduced if your empire has not made cultural progress for a while

is also massively reduced if your empire has been at high culture levels for a while

is largely produced by cities with wonders or of your ethinicity

The result is that everywhere along the tall-wide spectrum can be viable at a different time. And it's not easy to hold on to ANY kind of empire; you have to change it up. When ahead, you have to balance an early golden age with the future culture reduction that will result from #4. When a city-state, you have to balance capturing only large cities with the reduced culture that might come if you wait too long from #3. When playing as Macedonia, you have to balance your desire to unit the city-states with the fact that they might ally against you placing you in a long-term cold war, until the eastern powers take advantage of your weakness. The game has some really tough choices that result, and the map is constantly changing. It's not hard to see why they made this the flagship mechanic of the game.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”