Military Reinforcements

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

bs_grom
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Military Reinforcements

Post by bs_grom »

1. Several times it happened that a besieged army in a city left the city unattacked and besieged another city of mine. How did this happen? I was reading another thread about movement and got the idea that maybe they had a general with a movement +2?
2. Is it possible to safely strengthen the garrison of a city besieged by enemy armies, e.g. by sea?
I have heard that in antiquity - but not only - besieged cities, if their ports were not blocked, they received food and military reinforcements so that they could defend themselves indefinitely.
Gray Fox
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Re: Military Reinforcements

Post by Gray Fox »

1. I mentioned this a while back and Pocus posted that they would look into it. I guess they are still looking?

2. Ports not under naval blockade don't starve out. However, any relief force lands and fights a battle to lift the siege.
For new players: Grand Strategy AAR and Steam Guide: Tips for new players
Samstra's Trade guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1805684085
SuitedQueens
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by SuitedQueens »

bs_grom wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:11 pm 1. Several times it happened that a besieged army in a city left the city unattacked and besieged another city of mine. How did this happen? I was reading another thread about movement and got the idea that maybe they had a general with a movement +2?
Check if the movement cost to adjacent regions is 1. Assault and other commands checked at the end of the impulse. If it takes 1 MP to move out of the region, you can assault another city and return to siege, cause it checked at the beginning of the next turn. By the same logic enemy can escape from your besieging army. That's very important part of blitz wars. Here's the screens on how to fight this tactic and how many battles per 2 turns I usually have using it:

bs_grom wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:11 pm 2. Is it possible to safely strengthen the garrison of a city besieged by enemy armies, e.g. by sea?
I have heard that in antiquity - but not only - besieged cities, if their ports were not blocked, they received food and military reinforcements so that they could defend themselves indefinitely.
There are other mechanics to represent sieges. Try looking around the world map. On lower difficulties it can take 20+ turns for the enemy to take heavily fortified cities. Military Expertise affects garrison strength too.
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

Actually I had a single save and failed to reproduce the issue. And I did not connect with a 1 MP cost, so thanks to you all.

One possibility would be to have any besieged force pays at least 2 to exit a siege . But is it worth it?
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
SuitedQueens

Post by SuitedQueens »

Nope, it will kill significant part of logistics depth and I almost never see AI do this, altho I watch the world every turn, cause I like how AI plays in this game. It has that Manifest Destiny system and when Dynamic Difficulty bonuses kick in it especially fun. Very similar to my favorite 4x game of all times — Master of Orion 3 (modded by me extensively :roll: ).

While we on offtopic train I want to mention another thing. I have to say that AI is more willing to sign peace treaties on Suicidal difficulty with the other AI controlled nations for some reason. Top 4 most egregious examples:
- Rome and Keltikoi when they had their last region besieged with half-damaged garnison and no food to speak off. Rome didn't gain anything in terms of regions and was bribed instead.
- Egypt and Ethiopia against Kush. Same deal here, but Egypt still in war with them. It was even more ridiculous, since 2 big armies from the both sides were besieging their last region. Ethiopia (D'mt in the mod) signed peace treaty and relieved like 8 regions for monetary gains.
- Brigantes winning the war against Britonae and making them them into client-state. Since they didn't expand before that that left them with 4 regions and massive Picts armies swarming in to score a quick W.
- Emporia conquered most of the Aquitani territory and agreed to being Absorbed by Massalia, which in turn returned all regions back to Aquitani and they destroyed my Averni friends about 8 turns later because of that.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”