Stoas Too Strong?

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

redrum68
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Stoas Too Strong?

Post by redrum68 »

So far I've found if I have a decent sized empire and build 10+ Stoas then the empire +5% commerce bonus stacking is just crazy strong. Pretty much means you end up with limitless money which you can then use to hire tons of mercs. Am I missing something or should the bonus be decreased a bit? I'd say even +3% would be pretty strong and if there are concerns it would be too weak then for small empires then could just increase is base commerce a bit.
SuitedQueens
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: Stoas Too Strong?

Post by SuitedQueens »

Thats a well documented exploit. But be real — game usually ends before that point and there are many other fun options to improve your economy.
Nepos96
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Nepos96 »

I usually avoid building them because of this very reason. However it could be changed the way it works:

1) Make it so the 5% bonus (maybe now 10%) is only local rather than faction-wide;

2) Allow the player to build as many as he wants but he only gets one faction-wide bonus, all other effects work as usual;

3) Replace the bonus with a cultural one. To be honest when I think of a Stoa I think more of a monument rather than a market, so it would make sense for it to have a cultural effect besides the commercial one.
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

The Stoas are indeed very powerful and stack nation-wide. But each increases the chance of a nation wide economic crash. Wait for a massive devaluation of your money :twisted:
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
redrum68
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by redrum68 »

SuitedQueens wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:53 am Thats a well documented exploit. But be real — game usually ends before that point and there are many other fun options to improve your economy.
Well you can get Stoas pretty quickly. I have 10+ Stoas before turn 50 so no way I could have ended the game yet :) Is there a list of generally accepted exploits or overpowered things?
Pocus wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:45 pm The Stoas are indeed very powerful and stack nation-wide. But each increases the chance of a nation wide economic crash. Wait for a massive devaluation of your money :twisted:
True but once you have a few thousand money income per turn, it doesn't really matter if your stockpile of money gets wiped out even every turn.
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

Might be true... I'll add a note about Stoas for the next patch, and see how to further tone them down.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by w_michael »

I think that it depends on which Hellenic nation that you are playing. The Seleucids are the most difficult Tier I nation that I have played (guaranteed wars on two fronts) and Stoas are the least of my concern. With a nation like Cyrene you might not have enough regions to make a difference. You can argure that many of the Hellenic unique structure are too strong, but if you play a small empire style then you need the advantage. I'm loving Odeons for the win.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”