I have played this game for over one thousand hours

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

vaalen
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

I have played this game for over one thousand hours

Post by vaalen »

One thousand and ninety one, to be precise.

And the game is still fresh and exciting, and I am still happily playing it. In fact, I plan to play some more later today.

I do not know of a better endorsement that I can give a game.

Who else has passed the thousand hour barrier?
Faultierasai
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: I have played this game for over one thousand hours

Post by Faultierasai »

1288,5h Play Time....and i work hard to rule Carthage more efficient then now. The Businesspart must be better...Carthage needs Money.
vaalen
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by vaalen »

Faultierasai wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:41 pm 1288,5h Play Time....and i work hard to rule Carthage more efficient then now. The Businesspart must be better...Carthage needs Money.
Congratulations! Good to hear you are having success with Carthage, despite the money problems.

I must confess that I have started several games as Carthage, but could not rule effectively. Even early in the game, which is as far as i got, money was a problem.

It is a bit of a puzzle, as I have been very successful with other nations, such as Armenia, Judea, Macedonia, and now Dacia, to name a few.
But every time I have tried Carthage, i go down to an early defeat.
SuitedQueens
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by SuitedQueens »

If you know how Diplomacy works you will never have any throubles with any nations right from the get go. If you know how Economy works you won't need to use Diplomacy for money fix starting from midgame. If you need any tips look up Burgundi AAR and Questions on Game Mechanics threads.
Faultierasai
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Faultierasai »

Exactly, Numidia and Massesilya starts with +25 Reputation. Any Gifts later, she are ready for the Vassalship.
The next Victim...äh Partner is Iberia and then Maretania.

But Carthage has an extremly big Problem with the 3. Civ. Level, it lost more as 30% Tradevalue and earn +1 Traderange.
So, the most Tradehubs going bankrupt because she fight with the other hub. No one makes Money and as the biggest Problem your Tradevalue lost the 30%.

The nice thing your Maininfantry and Cav. becomes +1 Livepoint. But is this worth?
SuitedQueens

Post by SuitedQueens »

That proves that you didn't read my topics. Gift option are obsolete and Insult Emissary is way better. You can develop 100 Relationships with the whole world without spending a single coin and do it in the first 50-55 turns.
desertedfox
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by desertedfox »

2,455.9 hours on record.
vaalen
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by vaalen »

desertedfox wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:16 pm 2,455.9 hours on record.
Awesome! I am impressed!

Another example of how deep and fascinating this game is.
Faultierasai
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Faultierasai »

SuitedQueens wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:40 pm That proves that you didn't read my topics. Gift option are obsolete and Insult Emissary is way better. You can develop 100 Relationships with the whole world without spending a single coin and do it in the first 50-55 turns.
:shock: :mrgreen:
jimwinsor
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by jimwinsor »

Steam has me clocked in at 411 hours, but that does not count the hours spent in non-Steam playtesting. I have no clue what those would add up to!
Streaming as "Grognerd" on Twitch! https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd
vaalen
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by vaalen »

SuitedQueens wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:40 pm That proves that you didn't read my topics. Gift option are obsolete and Insult Emissary is way better. You can develop 100 Relationships with the whole world without spending a single coin and do it in the first 50-55 turns.
I have read your tips and the use of Insult emissary is brilliant, in the early game. However, in the mid to late game, the big empires that have survived are less likely to be fighting a lot of wars, and many of the smaller nations are gone. so I have found the tactic less effective at these stages of the game, though it can still help.

The other thing is that if you have developed your economy and conquered a number of good regions, money, manpower, and metal can be quite abundant, and can provide great diplomatic results. I also found that giving regions i do not want to other nations not only rids me of the region, bu improves relations significantly. I use this tactic and gifts of part of my surplus very effectively to improve relations and get the treaties I want.

That said, using the insult emissary action can be very effective, depending on the situation, and I definitely plan to use it a lot in the early stage of new games. Thank you for sharing it, it is a great tip.
vaalen
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by vaalen »

jimwinsor wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:16 am Steam has me clocked in at 411 hours, but that does not count the hours spent in non-Steam playtesting. I have no clue what those would add up to!
You may well be a member of the thousand hour club, then. I hope you are still enjoying the game.
SuitedQueens

Post by SuitedQueens »

vaalen wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:30 pm I have read your tips and the use of Insult emissary is brilliant, in the early game. However, in the mid to late game, the big empires that have survived are less likely to be fighting a lot of wars, and many of the smaller nations are gone. so I have found the tactic less effective at these stages of the game, though it can still help.

The other thing is that if you have developed your economy and conquered a number of good regions, money, manpower, and metal can be quite abundant, and can provide great diplomatic results. I also found that giving regions i do not want to other nations not only rids me of the region, bu improves relations significantly. I use this tactic and gifts of part of my surplus very effectively to improve relations and get the treaties I want.
Not only I donate all my non-provincial regions, but also ones that are part of the province and not required to keep it intact. Plus I never take enemy regions during Peace deal unless they are objectives or serve as invasion launching points. In my AAR you can see screenshots of how I give away extra regions for free not only for Diplomatic bonuses, but to form shieldwall and chokepoints.
Here's an example of that:

Insult emissary works for about first 150 turns without failing. By controlling AI resources you prevent them from ending/losing wars too early. You will see that for yourself if you would use this strategy. I'm the most efficient and fast conqueror of new territories you can find. That is why I need so much resources and FoG 2 to export battles in the first place.
Example of North Africa conquest with Burgundi:
As you can see I donated one of the regions I think I abandoned previously already.
Last Carthage regions in flames and 2 lesser opponents down. It important to strike that peace deal (capturing their capital before that preferably) before you eliminate them and acquire all their useless territories. Also you need to pull back before Peace deal comes into effect or there is very big risk to starve to death as with all overseas invasions:

Reduced pictures size to not clщп up this thread. click on them to see their full size.
Hyding
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Hyding »

LOL......Steam show me at over 5000 hours. It shows me with 150+ hours in the last two weeks which was one of my least active play periods.

But that is just because I leave the game running. I turn it on in the morning and check in every now and then. A while back I mentioned this. It is nice to have a game that can run all day or several days without locking up or crashing. The only run problems I have found is a frequent scroll problem that can happen even after a few minutes and the map will run and lock on one border and you have to save and completely leave the game to escape the problem
Hyding
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Hyding »

You guys can share your expert moves so I can learn and I love it because I have never finished an AI game past 150ish turns.

I have started 4 MP games and they put a few more real play hours into my week but it is still mostly fluff hours showing in steam.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”