AI on the campaign map

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

juanval
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

AI on the campaign map

Post by juanval » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:54 pm

I must recognize Empires is a great game. Congrats for the interesting project you're developing and I desire you a big success ;)

I saw the recent videos and I like the way automatic battles are developed, but how good is AI on the campaign map?

Do factions that surround you create armies in a way that they are effective to attack your regions/deffend from your attacks?

I played games where AI is terrible and hardest difficulty is not hard. Hardest levels in Empires are really hard?

Thanks in advance and good luck ;)

devoncop
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Re: AI on the campaign map

Post by devoncop » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:57 pm

juanval wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:54 pm
I must recognize Empires is a great game. Congrats for the interesting project you're developing and I desire you a big success ;)

I saw the recent videos and I like the way automatic battles are developed, but how good is AI on the campaign map?

Do factions that surround you create armies in a way that they are effective to attack your regions/deffend from your attacks?

I played games where AI is terrible and hardest difficulty is not hard. Hardest levels in Empires are really hard?

Thanks in advance and good luck ;)
Hi Juanval.

That is very difficult for anyone to answer as what is hard AI for me may be less so for you.

What you should remember is that there is going to be multiplayer and that I suspect will be where the game can truly shine. I love FOG2 single player but in multiplayer I have played some absolute experts who can make mincemeat of me despite me having 1200+ hours in the game.

As long as the mechanics are good I am sure you will be happy 👍

juanval

Post by juanval » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:09 pm

I'm not interested in multiplayer (I know multiplayer can be interesting in a game like this). I only like to see a decent AI.

loki100
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by loki100 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:55 pm

its decent, it will give you a pretty good struggle.

AI difficulty levels in the game are a bit unusual, its not the usual +x%, instead it becomes easier for the AI to maintain its state and harder for you to do so.

Fits with the wider issue - all things being equal, taking regions is relatively easy, the challenge is holding onto them :D

juanval

Post by juanval » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:47 am

loki100 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:55 pm
its decent, it will give you a pretty good struggle.

AI difficulty levels in the game are a bit unusual, its not the usual +x%, instead it becomes easier for the AI to maintain its state and harder for you to do so.

Fits with the wider issue - all things being equal, taking regions is relatively easy, the challenge is holding onto them :D
Thanks for the info :D . You say AI maintains its state but, do AI nations become agressive and attack your provinces easily? Conquering is fun, but defending your territories is even better :wink:

loki100

Post by loki100 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:34 am

yes, I've actually been completely beaten by the AI in some tests, in others mere survival is all you can hope for in a serious war. I have had epic test games where simply just hanging in was all I could do or had to constantly march to face off a new enemy - genuinely 'just one more turn' stuff.

In the end its an AI, but it will challenge. In a way this is akin to Pride of Nations - there the AI was good enough to be a constraint/threat and then the game worked in such a way that mere military power was not enough in any case if you wanted to do well. So here, taking region A is probably always doable, what matters is can you gain proper control over a wider area. And maintaining your state is not easy.

devoncop

Post by devoncop » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:46 am

loki100 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:34 am
yes, I've actually been completely beaten by the AI in some tests, in others mere survival is all you can hope for in a serious war. I have had epic test games where simply just hanging in was all I could do or had to constantly march to face off a new enemy - genuinely 'just one more turn' stuff.

In the end its an AI, but it will challenge. In a way this is akin to Pride of Nations - there the AI was good enough to be a constraint/threat and then the game worked in such a way that mere military power was not enough in any case if you wanted to do well. So here, taking region A is probably always doable, what matters is can you gain proper control over a wider area. And maintaining your state is not easy.

This description is seriously encouraging 👍👍👍👍

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:53 am

I think the AI in Empires is better (on things that it handles, Pride of Nations was just a monster game) than the one of older Ageod games. It is more focused somehow.

Also in Empires, fleets can be assembled without the need of transport ships, so AI sea invasions are much more common.

AI also likes, when in superiority, to go hunting. It analyzes not only what are the regions it can take, but also if it can kill one of your strong army, the strategy here is that once your best troops are gone, it can finish you easily. And it can finish you, rest assured.That's not one of these AIs that is unable to go beyond a few probing attacks. On the contrary, the stronger it is, the more aggressive it will be and its goal is the eradication of his opponent.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

juanval

Post by juanval » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:55 am

devoncop wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:46 am
loki100 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:34 am

This description is seriously encouraging 👍👍👍👍
Wow. That's music for my ears :mrgreen:

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”