Field of Glory: Empires - Ask Us Anything

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Re: Field of Glory: Empires - Ask Us Anything

Post by Pocus » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:08 am

The game can only be launched by the initiator of the MP game, so that's safe.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

devoncop
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by devoncop » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:11 am

Pocus wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:08 am
The game can only be launched by the initiator of the MP game, so that's safe.

Absolutely perfect . Thank you for the clarification.

Olek
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Olek » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:57 pm

devoncop wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:12 am
SirGarnet wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:59 am
Found out about the session too late, but still have my most important question open. By "campaign battle I mean a battle fought in the course of an Empires playthrough.

It has been disclosed that campaign battles may be downloaded to enable an Empires battle using FOG2 in Empires between the player and AI.

Can such a battle be downloaded to enable a enable a FOG2 battle to be between the player and another human player - head to head, so to speak.

I am hoping that is so both as to two humans in MP together or with a third person engaged to fight the battle.

How shall this go?

Sir Garnet

This has been answered in other threads by the developers.

Though they are not totally discounting it for the future at present only Player v AI campaigns will allow export of battles to the FoG2 battle system.

They argue (understandably in my opinion) that the delays in fighting out such battles would make the 500 turn Campaign in Empires unplayable in a multiplayer context.
Wow, 17 hours before release and I only just discovered my son and I won't be playing multiplayer head to head campaign using FoG2, thats put a real damper on things, we have over 2000 hours on Rome 2 each in multiplayer, was looking for a bit more complexity, oh well, will wait to see if it's introduced sometime in the future.

Jagger2002
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Jagger2002 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:17 pm

Can such a battle be downloaded to enable a enable a FOG2 battle to be between the player and another human player - head to head, so to speak.

-Though they are not totally discounting it for the future at present only Player v AI campaigns will allow export of battles to the FoG2 battle system.

They argue (understandably in my opinion) that the delays in fighting out such battles would make the 500 turn Campaign in Empires unplayable in a multiplayer context.---

What if I am not playing a multiplayer Empires campaign but playing against the AI? Then delays are not important if a person wants to export games to multiplayer.

I think it would be a very useful feature to export battles to FOG2 in an Empire Campaign vs the AI. Then upload to multiplayer and then simply find ANYBODY that might want to represent the AI side in a FOG2 battle. It would be the same as any other pickup FOG2 game in multiplayer. I would definitely rather play a Fog2 battle against a human than the AI. And since I am playing the AI in the campaign, delays are not important. And if like Olek, you want to play a specific person, you could just password the multiplayer FOG2 game.

IMO when playing an empire campaign against the AI, the option to upload a battle to multiplayer FOG2 is a very sensible and logical feature.

devoncop
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by devoncop » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:49 pm

Jagger2002 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:17 pm

-Though they are not totally discounting it for the future at present only Player v AI campaigns will allow export of battles to the FoG2 battle system.

They argue (understandably in my opinion) that the delays in fighting out such battles would make the 500 turn Campaign in Empires unplayable in a multiplayer context.---

What if I am not playing a multiplayer Empires campaign but playing against the AI? Then delays are not important if a person wants to export games to multiplayer.

I think it would be a very useful feature to export battles to FOG2 in an Empire Campaign vs the AI. Then upload to multiplayer and then simply find ANYBODY that might want to represent the AI side in a FOG2 battle. It would be the same as any other pickup FOG2 game in multiplayer. I would definitely rather play a Fog2 battle against a human than the AI. And since I am playing the AI in the campaign, delays are not important. And if like Olek, you want to play a specific person, you could just password the multiplayer FOG2 game.

IMO when playing an empire campaign against the AI, the option to upload a battle to multiplayer FOG2 is a very sensible and logical feature.

These are options that are being considered apparently as the game is further developed though the coding is apparently not straightforward.

Jagger2002

Post by Jagger2002 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:32 pm

A definite plus if it can be added. Keeping my fingers crossed! :)

MizzouRah
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by MizzouRah » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:09 pm

What does overlay border style do?

Also, shadows are set to normal, what's different when putting them on high?

AndrewGardner
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AndrewGardner » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:25 pm

MizzouRah wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:09 pm

Overlay Border Style controls how the borders are displayed in combination with the colored map overlay.
- Prominent: borders are drawn in black, with thick borders between nations, narrow borders between provinces, and narrowest borders between other regions
- Colored: borders are drawn in national colors, with varying thicknesses as above
- Subtle: borders are always drawn in grey with the narrowest thickness

Setting Shadows to High will draw more detailed shadows but may cause the game to run more slowly, Low will have to opposite effect. Shadows can also be turned Off if there are performance issues. Note the shadow setting does not take effect until the next game session.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:30 pm

Jagger2002 wrote:

Yes, this is what I would like to see too. I cannot see myself playing a MP campaign game that lasts 500 turns - how long might that take? But I can certainly see myself playing a 60 turn campaign against the AI with the key battles exported to FOG2 MP. Apparently it is a basic modding job to focus a campaign on a particular period of history, so I expect instructions on how to do this will emerge quite quickly in the modders forum.

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:34 pm

stockwellpete wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:30 pm
Jagger2002 wrote:

Yes, this is what I would like to see too. I cannot see myself playing a MP campaign game that lasts 500 turns - how long might that take? But I can certainly see myself playing a 60 turn campaign against the AI with the key battles exported to FOG2 MP. Apparently it is a basic modding job to focus a campaign on a particular period of history, so I expect instructions on how to do this will emerge quite quickly in the modders forum.
It would be nice to see this but what happens if your MP opponent takes a few turns and abandons the game ? (Or worse, accept your own challenge and you cheat against yourself :) )

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:44 pm

TheGrayMouser wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:34 pm
It would be nice to see this but what happens if your MP opponent takes a few turns and abandons the game ? (Or worse, accept your own challenge and you cheat against yourself :) )
You would have to claim it after 7 days, I guess. It would be a nuisance but would happen rarely, particularly if you knew your opponent.

MizzouRah
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by MizzouRah » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:07 am

AndrewGardner wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:25 pm
MizzouRah wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:09 pm

Overlay Border Style controls how the borders are displayed in combination with the colored map overlay.
- Prominent: borders are drawn in black, with thick borders between nations, narrow borders between provinces, and narrowest borders between other regions
- Colored: borders are drawn in national colors, with varying thicknesses as above
- Subtle: borders are always drawn in grey with the narrowest thickness

Setting Shadows to High will draw more detailed shadows but may cause the game to run more slowly, Low will have to opposite effect. Shadows can also be turned Off if there are performance issues. Note the shadow setting does not take effect until the next game session.
Much thanks!

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”