Arranging MP Game....Interested ?

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Re: Arranging MP Game....Interested ?

Post by 13obo »

Geffalrus wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:46 pm
One thing for Pocus..........sieges feel a bit too vulnerable to assaults. Even with palace guards, though they do make things much more difficult. I've generally stopped waiting for sieges and focus on assaults instead. Maybe if assaults could only happen once a breach was made? There's also the issue of frontage in the assault where urban militia get in the way of better support/ranged units (catapults). So a large garrison is sometimes counter productive.
I agree on this though it has been raised and I think being addressed in the next patch (hopefully soon).

Currently, I immediately go for assault on any region with walls of strength 2 or below (unless it's Mountain/Forest region). Assaulting walls of strength 3 are still problematic even if defended by urban militia. I guess ideally the game should encourage assaulting level 1 quickly but 2 should give you more than a pause, and 3 should be impenetrable.
Geffalrus
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Geffalrus »

13obo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:03 am - Capital region is protected by an army in case of a sea landing, which is a big threat for Antigonids usually. Also it could be sent by sea quickly in case of emergencies.
- Rest of army positioned to be able to support bordering regions where wars could happen. For example, he has an army on the east side of his empire where it would take 5 turns or more to reach due to having to get there on foot.
- Fantastic economy able to support much larger army than he fields, which means he can muster a lot of troops very quickly.
Not only is Lydia the capital, it's also the troop production point for Asia Minor, which by this point has a massive equipment storage capacity and income. By upgrading the harbor, I can now embark and move the army in one turn quite a distance.

The east is a little weird now as the troop production point in Cilicia is no longer Antioch/Antigonea, but rather Cyprus. Which, as you can imagine, is a pain to get to. Comagene to the northwest doesn't have the same troop facilities, but is better placed for my existing army to reach the nearby borders.

Stoa are magic.
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Interesting, interesting, so you've built it up for military production that you can quickly send anywhere along the globe? For example Ptolemys capital is a few turns away from being overrun by a newly produced army.

How come you are allied with everyone then? I mean just at the snap of your fingers, you could go to simultaneous wars with all your neighbours and stand a chance to win. There isn't much conflict in this peaceful co-habitation that seems to reign and therefore no fun too (excluding Palestine).
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

13obo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:32 pm Interesting, interesting, so you've built it up for military production that you can quickly send anywhere along the globe? For example Ptolemys capital is a few turns away from being overrun by a newly produced army.

How come you are allied with everyone then? I mean just at the snap of your fingers, you could go to simultaneous wars with all your neighbours and stand a chance to win. There isn't much conflict in this peaceful co-habitation that seems to reign and therefore no fun too (excluding Palestine).
To what end, though? So long as I keep my culture going decently well, I don't need to aggressively acquire progress tokens anymore to stay a glorious monarchy. To expand and gain more progress tokens would require taking on the Ptolemies and/or the Seleucids, both of whom have substantial resources of their own. I'm also fairly sure that any move I make in that direction will trigger a literal World War. People would logically assume that if I consume either or both, I will essentially win the game right then and there. So I have to assume that they'd throw caution to the wind and go all in trying to take me down. Maybe I can defend against the whole world. Maybe I can successfully invade Egypt or Babylon. I doubt I can do both at the same time. My resources aren't THAT substantial.

So I'm going to sit right here with a sizable deterrence force and my legacy lead, and work on my culture game. My hunch is that everyone else will do the same, because the cost/benefit analysis of putting together an attacking coalition against me is different than putting together a defensive one. At some point, someone will decide that I'm going to passively win via legacy, and at that point they'll take a swing at me. Or I'll realize that someone else is gaining more legacy, and I'll have to make some sort of crazy scheme to kneecap them.

Or maybe I'll get bored and decide that sending a grand army across Europe to attack the Picts would be absolutely hilarious........................ :wink:
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

True, if your goal is winning, i. e. highest legacy score, then you're probably on the right track to just pile up resources and defend existing territory in order to avoid being seen as enemy that everyone needs to ally to defeat. Though perhaps the war will happen sooner rather than later when others realise they cannot gain up on an unaging glorious empire that holds most world wonders.

But where's the fun in sitting around waiting for an attack or just generating points? Go out and start the war- come up with some nonsense pretext like Judea/Egypt did and bring fire to the world.

Now that will be fun to read about and you'd be either the winner who fought everyone or Icarus who flew too close to the sun.

The latter is even cooler!
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

13obo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:32 pm True, if your goal is winning, i. e. highest legacy score, then you're probably on the right track to just pile up resources and defend existing territory in order to avoid being seen as enemy that everyone needs to ally to defeat. Though perhaps the war will happen sooner rather than later when others realise they cannot gain up on an unaging glorious empire that holds most world wonders.

But where's the fun in sitting around waiting for an attack or just generating points? Go out and start the war- come up with some nonsense pretext like Judea/Egypt did and bring fire to the world.

Now that will be fun to read about and you'd be either the winner who fought everyone or Icarus who flew too close to the sun.

The latter is even cooler!
Errrrrrrrrrr..............You do realise this is a 500 turn game and we are only on about turn 35......... :wink:
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

You can't blame me for trying to spice up your game that has been all about Palestina for the past month or so.
lecrop
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by lecrop »

loki100 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:46 am Since I realise you all want to know, heres the situation in Britain. The anglo-pictish alliance are about to remove all other influences before settling down to the inevitable centuries of peace ...
If all goes well the next turn will be the end for Brigantia thanks to a Picto-Britan Clamp :mrgreen:
Yaitz331
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Yaitz331 »

Geffalrus wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:23 pmOr maybe I'll get bored and decide that sending a grand army across Europe to attack the Picts would be absolutely hilarious........................ :wink:
KILL! THE! PICTS!

Or at least drive their pirates from the Eastern Med.

13obo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:23 pm You can't blame me for trying to spice up your game that has been all about Palestina for the past month or so.
I mean, I'd prefer for Judea NOT to be that interesting.
loki100
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by loki100 »

Yaitz331 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:50 pm
Geffalrus wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:23 pmOr maybe I'll get bored and decide that sending a grand army across Europe to attack the Picts would be absolutely hilarious........................ :wink:
KILL! THE! PICTS!

Or at least drive their pirates from the Eastern Med.

last time I checked we had a co-operation agreement. My brave sailors are simply co-operating.

Heres the evidence of how co-operative the Picts can be:
lecrop wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:47 pm
loki100 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:46 am Since I realise you all want to know, heres the situation in Britain. The anglo-pictish alliance are about to remove all other influences before settling down to the inevitable centuries of peace ...
If all goes well the next turn will be the end for Brigantia thanks to a Picto-Britan Clamp :mrgreen:
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

13obo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:23 pm You can't blame me for trying to spice up your game that has been all about Palestina for the past month or so.
Actually it hasn't......

It's just the stuff in public has been .....there has been a lot of action on the Seleucid/Mayryan/Saka front as well as in and around Italy....(The diplomatic shenanigans between Syracuse and Rome are worthy of a volume of Gibbon on their own :D )

It's just that both Yaitz and I have been fighting a very intense PR battle :D
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Yaitz331 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:50 pm
KILL! THE! PICTS!
Watch out or people may say you are anti... Pictic.

Sorry couldn't pass on the opportunity.
Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos »

Geffalrus wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:39 pm The Antigonids have a whole genre of epic poetry dedicated to their heroic victories over the massive hordes of Mauryans and Saka that tried to invade Persia.
That's quite strange given the fact that no Maurya army ever encountered neither an Antigonid host nor a single skirmisher unit or at least a straggler or a wayfarer that lost his track in the East ... :roll:
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

(Good luck favours the brave)
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

Lysimachos wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:49 am
Geffalrus wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:39 pm The Antigonids have a whole genre of epic poetry dedicated to their heroic victories over the massive hordes of Mauryans and Saka that tried to invade Persia.
That's quite strange given the fact that no Maurya army ever encountered neither an Antigonid host nor a single skirmisher unit or at least a straggler or a wayfarer that lost his track in the East ... :roll:
The Antigonid "poetry" celebrating their victories over the Mauryan's can only be found in the " fiction" section of your local bookstore it would seem 😏
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

Lysimachos wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:49 am That's quite strange given the fact that no Maurya army ever encountered neither an Antigonid host nor a single skirmisher unit or at least a straggler or a wayfarer that lost his track in the East ... :roll:
Niiiiiice try buddy, but we both know that an Antigonid army landed at the southernmost region of the Indus and engaged a large force of elephants, cavalry, and archers in the course of two battles, defeating them utterly. I know all Macedonians look alike to you, but we were the ones in jaunty orange outfits. :wink:
loki100

Post by loki100 »

devoncop wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:52 am
Lysimachos wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:49 am
The Antigonid "poetry" celebrating their victories over the Mauryan's can only be found in the " fiction" section of your local bookstore it would seem 😏
you mean all those stones we carved to celebrate how wonderful they were, can be recycled? Och I'm off to loot the Black Sea in a rage.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

Geffalrus wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:28 am
Lysimachos wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:49 am That's quite strange given the fact that no Maurya army ever encountered neither an Antigonid host nor a single skirmisher unit or at least a straggler or a wayfarer that lost his track in the East ... :roll:
Niiiiiice try buddy, but we both know that an Antigonid army landed at the southernmost region of the Indus and engaged a large force of elephants, cavalry, and archers in the course of two battles, defeating them utterly. I know all Macedonians look alike to you, but we were the ones in jaunty orange outfits. :wink:
In which case there would be at least one Antigonid Region down there wouldn't there ?
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Antigonids and seleucids are allies (judging by screenshots), so maybe he just relieved a sieged region?
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

13obo wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:53 am Antigonids and seleucids are allies (judging by screenshots), so maybe he just relieved a sieged region?
Close. I attacked and defeated an army, but then didn't stick around to siege or assault the following turn. Practically every region there is fortified, so I was never in "danger" of taking a region I didn't want.
Yaitz331

Post by Yaitz331 »

loki100 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:30 amOch I'm off to loot the Black Sea in a rage.
YES SOUNDS GREAT YOU CAN GO DO THAT NOW INSTEAD OF RAIDING ME.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”