First reactions

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Beorn
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

First reactions

Post by Beorn » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:09 am

Having a great time with the game.

Considering the time I spent viewing videos and reading sections of the manual, though, I sure had a lot of surprises from the rules:
* A battle where only one of the six confrontations ended in the death of a unit (mine) but this was followed by pursuit and declaration of victory for the other side.

* An assault on my palisade where it appeared both my units and theirs had support troops behind them, but only the enemy got a support bonus in the battle.

* The same assault, which occurred in a forest province, where their heavy infantry had a big advantage over my medium infantry... which makes sense, I guess, since the palisade battle isn't really in the forest, but it fits unexpectedly with medium infantry being the besieger unit.

* A region lost one turn and regained the next turn having to be pacified for several turns.

Not saying any of these are wrong, or should be wrong, but in each case the rule surprised me.

Actually, if I had a negative reaction to anything about the game mechanics so far, it was something that was breaking in my favor. 20-30 turns into the game, I am still seeing enormous swings in my culture and decadence ranking from turn to turn, particularly when it shoots upwards even though I have accomplished nothing on my end to bring this about. I have doubts about this mechanic, in that it seems far-fetched that just because several factions in the Asia Minor have had things go very wrong, does not mean that I, off in northern Europe, have things any easier. Seems to me that less of this formula should involve relativity. But of course, this is just my reaction after a few hours of play, and with an obscure faction.

loki100
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Re: First reactions

Post by loki100 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:06 am

The main dampening effect on the CDR is it is current turn+average last 50 divded by 2.

so, agree, you see a lot of swings early on, but these can affect your position later.

Other possible changes are a lot of decadence falling out, say if you took a few regions in one turn, that will all slip out of the calculation at the same time etc.

devoncop
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by devoncop » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:15 am

Beorn wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:09 am
Having a great time with the game.

Considering the time I spent viewing videos and reading sections of the manual, though, I sure had a lot of surprises from the rules:
* A battle where only one of the six confrontations ended in the death of a unit (mine) but this was followed by pursuit and declaration of victory for the other side.

* An assault on my palisade where it appeared both my units and theirs had support troops behind them, but only the enemy got a support bonus in the battle.

* The same assault, which occurred in a forest province, where their heavy infantry had a big advantage over my medium infantry... which makes sense, I guess, since the palisade battle isn't really in the forest, but it fits unexpectedly with medium infantry being the besieger unit.

* A region lost one turn and regained the next turn having to be pacified for several turns.

Not saying any of these are wrong, or should be wrong, but in each case the rule surprised me.

Actually, if I had a negative reaction to anything about the game mechanics so far, it was something that was breaking in my favor. 20-30 turns into the game, I am still seeing enormous swings in my culture and decadence ranking from turn to turn, particularly when it shoots upwards even though I have accomplished nothing on my end to bring this about. I have doubts about this mechanic, in that it seems far-fetched that just because several factions in the Asia Minor have had things go very wrong, does not mean that I, off in northern Europe, have things any easier. Seems to me that less of this formula should involve relativity. But of course, this is just my reaction after a few hours of play, and with an obscure faction.

Point 1 Beorn is explained by the fact that losing the head to heads in the battles does not require the destruction of your unit just losing the fight 're losses. So you could easily lose the battle without having units eliminated.

Beorn
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Beorn » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:24 am

devoncop wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:15 am
Point 1 Beorn is explained by the fact that losing the head to heads in the battles does not require the destruction of your unit just losing the fight 're losses. So you could easily lose the battle without having units eliminated.
I think that there must be some fine print to this, however.

I had one battle that was called a draw four or five times until I was finally declared the winner. And I cannot remember all the specifics of the draws, I know that I won by wearing them down, with encounter after encounter taking effectiveness and hit points away from their units. With extremely few lost points on my side during all these encounters (and since stalemates cost you a point, that means there were not even many stalemates).

Just to be clear, my point is not that something is wrong, but rather that the rule is not yet clear, at least to me.

However, it is pretty low priority that the rule be clear, given that it's not something to plan around, anyway. My guess, while playing, was that maybe there is a bit of randomization as to what constitutes a victory, or that it depends upon something like loyalty or total loss of hitpoints or whatever. But if there is one clear rule as to what constitutes a victory, I do not yet have my mind wrapped around it.

devoncop

Post by devoncop » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:12 am

Yes the formula is that you need to win (or lose) by 3 clear head to head results for the pursuit stage to kick in and this side to be shown as victory. The draws would be because neither side managed this. In very small contests that is why the battle continues until one side is eliminated.

Beorn
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Beorn » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:20 am

devoncop wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:12 am
Yes the formula is that you need to win (or lose) by 3 clear head to head results for the pursuit stage to kick in and this side to be shown as victory. The draws would be because neither side managed this. In very small contests that is why the battle continues until one side is eliminated.
Well...

I'm in another continuing series of battles. First time, we each killed off one of the other, but he had three wins. Called a draw.

Second round, no one died off, but I had three wins. Called a draw.

This rule does not look so clear to me, in practice.

devoncop

Post by devoncop » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:28 am

Hi

I got that slightly wrong....See manual 10.7.6.

Basically the losses of both sides are added up as a TOTAL figure adding the losses of each individual duel up at the end of a battle round.and if the total difference in both hits and efficiency losses from each individual combat added up as a TOTAL is 3 OR MORE then the side with the lower figure of total losses is declared the winner and a pursuit initiated.

If it is less than 3 it is a draw and there is another round.

It is worth reading that section of the manual (p.126 onwards) closely as I realised I misunderstood slightly.

Sorry for any confusion !

Cheers

Ian

Beorn
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Beorn » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:23 pm

Thank you! That is very enlightening. It explains what I was seeing.

If keeping score watching a tense battle, no point toting up "wins and losses" Tote up points, including both effectiveness and health points.

Given that I was counting the wrong thing, it is no wonder I was often befuddled by the result. :)

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:59 pm

That's close to that but even more subtle, and this is why you don't see the running total during battle
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”