Leaders

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

PDiFolco
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Leaders

Post by PDiFolco » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:19 pm

Leader generation is a bit strange : as Carthage I have like 6 crappy generals (0, +1 max..), I know it's not a very good nation for leaders, but any backwater barbaric band that attack me from the desert has a +2 leader, or at least +1 ? This is not very realistic, to get good generals you need population & education, barbarians hadn't that.

devoncop
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: Leaders

Post by devoncop » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:47 am

PDiFolco wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:19 pm
Leader generation is a bit strange : as Carthage I have like 6 crappy generals (0, +1 max..), I know it's not a very good nation for leaders, but any backwater barbaric band that attack me from the desert has a +2 leader, or at least +1 ? This is not very realistic, to get good generals you need population & education, barbarians hadn't that.
While I understand your general (forgive the pun!) complaint it is certainly not the case that a higher population and better education resulted in better Generals as a matter of course. Many bandit leaders had neither but would frequently rung rings around " better educated" Generals.

Think of the examples of many highly educated British Generals in the American War of Independence being totally outclassed or even the successes of some native American Chiefs like Sitting Bull against the pride of West Point.

ledo
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by ledo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:46 am

I think repeatedly it has been proven that education can actually kill creativity, with the most common example of a general performing poorly being one that lacks adaptability despite significant education and even experience (many games have an old guard negative modifier). Creativity and being able to see each problem in the context of what it actually is, rather than what experience tells you it should be, seem to be the most important characteristics of a general.

devoncop

Post by devoncop » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:08 am

ledo wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:46 am
I think repeatedly it has been proven that education can actually kill creativity, with the most common example of a general performing poorly being one that lacks adaptability despite significant education and even experience (many games have an old guard negative modifier). Creativity and being able to see each problem in the context of what it actually is, rather than what experience tells you it should be, seem to be the most important characteristics of a general.
Much more elegantly put than my ramblings ! Agree comletely.

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:00 am

You just did not had luck on this Pascal!

Send them with a light cav against desert tribes, they will have 1/6 chance per battle to die, this should recycle them rather fast.

As for education. If education plays a role, then why not build war academies to boost your leader pool? :wink:
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

PDiFolco

Post by PDiFolco » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:50 am

Pocus wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:00 am
You just did not had luck on this Pascal!

Send them with a light cav against desert tribes, they will have 1/6 chance per battle to die, this should recycle them rather fast.

As for education. If education plays a role, then why not build war academies to boost your leader pool? :wink:
Ok, thanks Pocus ! Maybe it's even more radical to send them starve in the middle of the Med ? :twisted:
Yet my point rather was that unknown tribes have too many very good generals imo

edit : and btw a cool feature would be that winning generals could improve and gain abilities, instead of just being incompetent and die .This way we could have a real Hannibal :lol:

PDiFolco

Post by PDiFolco » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:08 pm

Bump
Too bad you cannot starve 0-0 generals at sea, they come back in lifeboats it seems ... And am I just unlucky, with Rome and 8 generals the best I have since 50 turns are 1-0 and 0-2 ?
Yet barbarians always come up with 2-1s generals minimum!

Geffalrus
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Geffalrus » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:34 pm

Man, the difference between a 0 Attack/Defend general and a 2 Attack or Defend general is pretty stark. A 2 Attack general with a decently composed army of experienced troops is pretty formidable. Until he tragically dies in combat and the new general sucks and your units lose their XP.........

Getting a run of 0-0 generals with no bonus traits can really bring one's expansion to a halt. Seriously, I'll make a basileus philoi out of anyone who brings me a 2-2 general who's under the age of 40.

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:00 pm

Bad luck for Rome, Rome don't have especially crappy leaders.

SirGarnet
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by SirGarnet » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:17 pm

Selection of field commanders up into the 20th century has been based primarily on status and with competence a bonus (but not so much as to threatenthe state). My Rome has produced a few with total score of 3 at best.

vakarr
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by vakarr » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:53 am

Does a general have a 1/6 chance of dying no matter how big or high quality his army?

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:13 am

No, that's 1/16 if you win, 1/8 in stalemate and 1/4 if you lose. Not related to army size, many led from the front.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”