Can you make peace with somebody else's client state?

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

benzidrine
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Can you make peace with somebody else's client state?

Post by benzidrine »

In my game Macedonia declared war on me then immediately became a Roman client state. I don't seem to be able to make peace with them and I have good relations with Rome.
MoLAoS
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: Can you make peace with somebody else's client state?

Post by MoLAoS »

benzidrine wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:24 am In my game Macedonia declared war on me then immediately became a Roman client state. I don't seem to be able to make peace with them and I have good relations with Rome.
Have exact same problem with my game. Can't peace out a client state that was at war with your when they got vassalized.
loki100
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by loki100 »

benzidrine wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:24 am In my game Macedonia declared war on me then immediately became a Roman client state. I don't seem to be able to make peace with them and I have good relations with Rome.
no. the diplo tool tip will tell you why. Basically you have to make peace with their senior partner.
guanotwozero
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by guanotwozero »

This is interesting - anybody know of any historical precedent where a senior partner ended a war when it vassalised a nation?
benzidrine

Post by benzidrine »

But how do I make peace with a country I'm already at peace with? I'm a peace with Rome and at war with their vassal.

Also in another situation I also had two vassals myself that were at war with each other and I couldn't stop them fighting.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

best treat this as a bug and put a note into the tech support forum, can see what you mean and no ... there is no way to resolve it (I think)
jimwinsor
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by jimwinsor »

Currently the only way around this tricky problem is to DOW the patron country. Then get peace with them, which will automatically peace the client.

This problem is for me usually occurs the other way around. I client a nation who is at war, and now that war is eternal ... unless I DOW the nation the client is at war with. Then I can make peace for both.

The latter case can actually be said to be good for gameplay, IMO, in that it strongly encourages patrons to DOW on behalf of their beleaguered clients. The OP's case, eh, not so much I guess.
Streaming as "Grognerd" on Twitch! https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd
julianbarker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by julianbarker »

Clients seem to work in a very strange way. Something is seriously not right.

Currently Macedonia. Epirus and Pergamon are my clients.

Epirus is at war with Rome, but I have no diplomatic options relating to such a war. It is absurd that Rome who I have a cooperation agreement with should be DoW so I can improve relations between my client and Rome to peace! Just makes no sense. I should be able to build influence without war.

I have the exact same problem with Pergamon and the Antigonids. They are at war but I don't have any diplomatic option to encourage peace even though Antigonids are in cooperation with me.

Finally, what appears to be a clear bug is that whilst diplomatic screens correctly show Epirus as a client, their units are wandering all over my empire and tool tips show them as allies!
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

I have noted the bug of the 2 Client states being at war with each other (and same liege)

About influencing peace, why don't you use the 'Make Peace with ...' option?
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
benzidrine

Post by benzidrine »

I just tried the make peace with option and it doesn't allow me to choose myself.

Here is the situation
I am Athenae
I have a cooperation agreement with Rome and good relations
Macedonia declared war on me
Next turn they became a client state of Rome
I have no option to make peace with Macedonia and they cannot make peace with me

This bug has actually led me to stop playing the game as it could occur in any playthrough and is kind of game breaking for me. There is no workaround
julianbarker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by julianbarker »

julianbarker wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:46 pm
Currently Macedonia. Epirus and Pergamon are my clients.

Epirus is at war with Rome, but I have no diplomatic options relating to such a war. It is absurd that Rome who I have a cooperation agreement with should be DoW so I can improve relations between my client and Rome to peace! Just makes no sense. I should be able to build influence without war.
Subsequently Rome and Macedon have become allies. Epirus remains Macedon's client, whilst at war with Rome. Rome is chasing Epirus units around Macedon territory where they are scattered all over the place as are my other allies and clients.

It seems absurd that I can improve relations so much between Macedon and Rome that they become allies but the game will only allow peace with Epirus and Rome if I first ruin relations between Macedon and Rome, fight an unnecessary war and force a peace so Epirus can be at peace.

The poor behaviour of allies in war, providing no support but wandering all over, the inability to make clients out of recently conquered border regions and the bizarre way the diplomatic/war system treats clients are making me think of stopping play until these things are fixed.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”