"Wack a mole" behavior

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Post Reply
Rosseau
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:27 am

"Wack a mole" behavior

Post by Rosseau » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:39 am

First, great game now that I've been able to not lose for more than 30 years. Not sure if this has been covered:

Playing Epirus (on Balanced difficulty), took Dardarni's capitol and 70 armies went on the run in the remaining four underdeveloped provinces they had left. Was allied with Carthage and Rome, so had 80 of the latter's finest, plus my own troops in 227 BC.

Dardarni's men fought like lions as we chased them around. After about five turns they were up to 127 troops. In RL, they would be dying on the vine, not magically recruiting excellent soldiers from half-dead provinces. Me thinks the AI is cheating here and nearly ruined my game. I had to switch to Rome for a few turns to ensure they were wiped out properly. That switching factions is a great feature, btw!

Thanks again. This is one tough game for dummies like me.

Demetrios_of_Messene
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:40 pm

Re: "Wack a mole" behavior

Post by Demetrios_of_Messene » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:34 am

There is a decision to levy troops in exchange of legacy points. Maybe they activated that decision which "magically" recruits soldiers.

Then again in my game I am also suspecting that Rome, now living on the fringes of civilized world, has too many and too good-quality troops for what their desolate provinces should be able to provide...

antiochosvii
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:53 pm

Re: "Wack a mole" behavior

Post by antiochosvii » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:53 pm

Rosseau wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:39 am
First, great game now that I've been able to not lose for more than 30 years. Not sure if this has been covered:

Playing Epirus (on Balanced difficulty), took Dardarni's capitol and 70 armies went on the run in the remaining four underdeveloped provinces they had left. Was allied with Carthage and Rome, so had 80 of the latter's finest, plus my own troops in 227 BC.

Dardarni's men fought like lions as we chased them around. After about five turns they were up to 127 troops. In RL, they would be dying on the vine, not magically recruiting excellent soldiers from half-dead provinces. Me thinks the AI is cheating here and nearly ruined my game. I had to switch to Rome for a few turns to ensure they were wiped out properly. That switching factions is a great feature, btw!

Thanks again. This is one tough game for dummies like me.
Wait I had no idea tag switching was even possible! How do you do that?

michacey
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:48 pm

Re: "Wack a mole" behavior

Post by michacey » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:24 pm

antiochosvii, I believe, if you go to settings during the game, you have the option to change to another faction.

WG
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:27 pm

Re: "Wack a mole" behavior

Post by WG » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:47 am

michacey wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:24 pm
antiochosvii, I believe, if you go to settings during the game, you have the option to change to another faction.
Somehow I never noticed that button! I was wondering how to switch to newly created factions.

However, I just tried it, and it seems that some factions cannot be selected, such as the Teutonii, Helvetii, Saxones, and so on. What determines which factions are playable?

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod
Posts: 1604
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: "Wack a mole" behavior

Post by Pocus » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:46 am

You can play nations that are currently on map only.

There is also the fact (about weak nations with significant armies) that the first 10 most costly units are upkeep free.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

WG
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:27 pm

Re: "Wack a mole" behavior

Post by WG » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:21 pm

Pocus wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:46 am
You can play nations that are currently on map only.
That is the problem I'm having. I loaded a game where I am about 150 turns in, and those three nations (Teutonii, Helvetii, Saxones) have appeared on the map. I click on them in the Change Factions screen, and they aren't available.

vakarr
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Posts: 642
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:57 am
Contact:

Re: "Wack a mole" behavior

Post by vakarr » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:10 pm

there's also a decision that allows you to recruit mercenaries from neighbouring tribes - costs 1000 and instantly puts you into debt and other money troubles but can get you lots of troops when you are in a desperate situation

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod
Posts: 1604
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: "Wack a mole" behavior

Post by Pocus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:19 pm

WG wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:21 pm
Pocus wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:46 am
You can play nations that are currently on map only.
That is the problem I'm having. I loaded a game where I am about 150 turns in, and those three nations (Teutonii, Helvetii, Saxones) have appeared on the map. I click on them in the Change Factions screen, and they aren't available.
Ok, I'll check these then. It will be some weeks before the next patch is out probably.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

Post Reply

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”