Lose a region battle and lose the city as well?

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

massina_nz
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Lose a region battle and lose the city as well?

Post by massina_nz » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:53 am

Hi. I've had an instance where I had an army in the field and a garrison in the region's city. I thought that the army was actually in the city, sometimes it's hard to tell when the game shows two stacks in the region, one for the garrison and one for the field army. Maybe having two stack shown was the clue - d'oh!

Anyway, my field army was utterly destroyed by the enemy, and the city changed ownership without the enemy having to assault it. Is this possible?

Geffalrus
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Lose a region battle and lose the city as well?

Post by Geffalrus » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:58 pm

Be very interested to see the answer to this because I just had something similar happen in an MP game where my massive army walked into Byzantion, defeated the combined forces of a small field army and the garrison that inexplicably joined them on the field, and then.........the city became mine. Not only that, I got the full garrison as a stack under my control in the conquered city. By which I mean the full 2 palace guard, urban militia, and regular infantry. I can just march them around now.

No idea how or why that happened.

devoncop
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by devoncop » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:51 pm

I can confirm Massina's account at it was at the hands of my embattled Syracuse forces.

I had given an order to assault the city in my move into the region though as it had literally been seized by Carthage the turn before so I figured the garrison would have been negligible.

That may be the explanation.

The other explanation possible is that Massina inadvertently clicked to "exit" the city on the tab for the garrison that was present and they got cut down along with the field army.
That is unlikely though as I doubt Massina would have done that.

massina_nz

Post by massina_nz » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:04 pm

Just one minor clarification. The city had been held by Carthage for the entire game before i capitulated without a fight! I can only guess the scale of the defeat outside the city walls, just caused the garrison to surrender without a fight.

Geffalrus
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Geffalrus » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:26 pm

devoncop wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:51 pm
I can confirm Massina's account at it was at the hands of my embattled Syracuse forces.

I had given an order to assault the city in my move into the region though as it had literally been seized by Carthage the turn before so I figured the garrison would have been negligible.

The other explanation possible is that Massina inadvertently clicked to "exit" the city on the tab for the garrison that was present and they got cut down along with the field army.
Wait, is that in an MP game? Is that the one where the other game where you're Dacia, and I'm Illyria, crossed streams with that one, and you wound up in Syracuse?

devoncop

Post by devoncop » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:17 pm

Geffalrus wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:26 pm
devoncop wrote:

Wait, is that in an MP game? Is that the one where the other game where you're Dacia, and I'm Illyria, crossed streams with that one, and you wound up in Syracuse?

No....definitely not.

Syracuse through and through in this one :D

devoncop

Post by devoncop » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:18 pm

massina_nz wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:04 pm
Just one minor clarification. The city had been held by Carthage for the entire game before i capitulated without a fight! I can only guess the scale of the defeat outside the city walls, just caused the garrison to surrender without a fight.
Ah.....my mistake !

It has been a bit of a whirl on Sicily this game :-)

massina_nz

Post by massina_nz » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:22 am

Geffalrus wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:26 pm
devoncop wrote:

I've got three games with Carthage going at the moment. This "whirly" one with Devoncop as Syracuse is the one that cross streams, yet seems unaffected.

FWIW When I find some time I'll see if I can replicate the city falling without an actual assault taking place.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”