Best garrison troops?

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Post Reply
Bombax
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:44 pm

Best garrison troops?

Post by Bombax » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:30 pm

Hi folks,
Any ideas about which troops are best as garrison troops? Is it better to use cheap, light infantry rather than more expensive units?
TIA,
Jay.

Schweetness101
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:12 am

Re: Best garrison troops?

Post by Schweetness101 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:12 pm

medium infantry and skirmishers. There is a siege trait that helps in siege battles that you can see on the unit card (typically med inf and legions but some others) that I think helps in defending and attacking cities.

I don't know if there are more or less benefits to quelling unrest for certain unit types.

loki100
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Posts: 935
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:18 pm

Re: Best garrison troops?

Post by loki100 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:21 pm

I use 3 different 'garrison' builds.

If its purely as a police force - internal region, suppress unrest, then purely skirmishers. I think its unit number that remove revolt risk so this is cheap and effective.

If I think it could be attacked - coastal region or whatever, I'll put in 5+ mediums just to boost the defensive strength.

If its a border fortress that is likely to be attacked, say 4 HI, 6 MI and 10-15 skirmishers. If assaulted this can actually fight.

archers are good but too expensive (regional units) to use on permanent garrisons.

One of the beta players used light cavalry a lot for this but I'm not sure. I think that was before skirmishers got a defensive siege bonus and in any case they cost more than light infantry.

avgard
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:22 pm

Re: Best garrison troops?

Post by avgard » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:33 pm

My garrison at Syracusae was strong. HI, skirmishers, ect. Rome still battered them down and took the city. It took a while. So, it depends on who you are against.

Soar
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:07 pm

Re: Best garrison troops?

Post by Soar » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:47 pm

I think the medium infantry siege bonus might be only for offense, not for defense. Out of the universally available frontline units, only Heavy Infantry is better at defending against assaults than Urban Militia and even then, only slightly, so unless there's not enough Urban Militia around, or you're one of the few factions that has convenient access non-Phalanx infantry with 5+ defense or have upgraded to imitation legionnaires, adding frontline units to garrisons is only useful for field battles aside from absorbing attrition. It can also bump Urban Militia from the front row, where they're actually one of the stronger units in assault defense, to the support row where they take spots from far superior support units, so it often actively undermines the assault defense capabilities of the garrison. Medium infantry is actually worse than Urban Militia against assaults and bumps them out of the front row, so should be avoided for garrisons if assaults are a concern.

Archers and skirmishers have a bigger support bonus over the Urban Militia and get a bonus to siege defense rolls as well, but unfortunately they do get bumped out of the support row by Urban Militia, which limits their usefulness a lot. This all makes garrisons kind of bad, though they do at least defend against rebellions since patch 1.03 instead of joining them.

Bombax
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Best garrison troops?

Post by Bombax » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:19 pm

Soar wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:47 pm
I think the medium infantry siege bonus might be only for offense, not for defense. Out of the universally available frontline units, only Heavy Infantry is better at defending against assaults than Urban Militia and even then, only slightly, so unless there's not enough Urban Militia around, or you're one of the few factions that has convenient access non-Phalanx infantry with 5+ defense or have upgraded to imitation legionnaires, adding frontline units to garrisons is only useful for field battles aside from absorbing attrition. It can also bump Urban Militia from the front row, where they're actually one of the stronger units in assault defense, to the support row where they take spots from far superior support units, so it often actively undermines the assault defense capabilities of the garrison. Medium infantry is actually worse than Urban Militia against assaults and bumps them out of the front row, so should be avoided for garrisons if assaults are a concern.

Archers and skirmishers have a bigger support bonus over the Urban Militia and get a bonus to siege defense rolls as well, but unfortunately they do get bumped out of the support row by Urban Militia, which limits their usefulness a lot. This all makes garrisons kind of bad, though they do at least defend against rebellions since patch 1.03 instead of joining them.
Interesting...
So it may be best, if you can afford the luxury, to have a nearby field army or two on hand, rather than scatter units as garrisons? This is something I've really not got my head around, so all the above comments are greatly appreciated - much food for thought...

vakarr
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:57 am
Contact:

Re: Best garrison troops?

Post by vakarr » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:45 am

If you are being raided, cavalry and light horse seem to be best at preventing raids. It doesn't seem to matter how big the defending force, eventually a "huge raid" will occur and the enemy will succeed (even if you have a palisade - need better fortifications as well). However having cavalry of some sort seems to help. Doesn't matter if they are inside or outside the town, though it is slightly better to have them outside when a raid comes. I'm referring to AI raids. To be raided, there has to be a visible army on the enemy/neutral side of the border but I've seen very small armies succeed against vast odds. If you are in danger of rebellions, keep the army outside if you want to fight or inside if you want to be able to hold on until the field army arrives.

Bombax
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Best garrison troops?

Post by Bombax » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:43 am

vakarr wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:45 am
If you are being raided, cavalry and light horse seem to be best at preventing raids. It doesn't seem to matter how big the defending force, eventually a "huge raid" will occur and the enemy will succeed (even if you have a palisade - need better fortifications as well). However having cavalry of some sort seems to help. Doesn't matter if they are inside or outside the town, though it is slightly better to have them outside when a raid comes. I'm referring to AI raids. To be raided, there has to be a visible army on the enemy/neutral side of the border but I've seen very small armies succeed against vast odds. If you are in danger of rebellions, keep the army outside if you want to fight or inside if you want to be able to hold on until the field army arrives.
Cheers Vakarr, I'll give that a try. It's almost entirely raids that I'm facing rather than a 'serious' opponent.

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod
Posts: 1537
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Best garrison troops?

Post by Pocus » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:08 am

Urban Militia are being looked at for the next patch.

Raids are defeated using the sum of defending units combat power (so -- for now -- no unit has a bonus compared to another with same CP) with region defensiveness as a (big) bonus. So adding walls and automated garrisons helps a lot (and cost nothing in upkeep)
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

Bombax
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Best garrison troops?

Post by Bombax » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:39 pm

Pocus wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:08 am
Urban Militia are being looked at for the next patch.

Raids are defeated using the sum of defending units combat power (so -- for now -- no unit has a bonus compared to another with same CP) with region defensiveness as a (big) bonus. So adding walls and automated garrisons helps a lot (and cost nothing in upkeep)
Thanks for that info :D

13obo
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:01 am

Re: Best garrison troops?

Post by 13obo » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:56 am

Soar wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:47 pm
I think the medium infantry siege bonus might be only for offense, not for defense.
I think that's incorrect. From the manual:

For the defender, the siege value is calculated in the same way and then the siege resist value of any buildings is added. Note that all skirmishers will provide a +1 siege resist as will Spartan units, Imperial Roman Auxilia and Legions in addition to any units with the siege trait.

Soar
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:07 pm

Re: Best garrison troops?

Post by Soar » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:19 pm

I've now verified that unit Siege Value (what medium infantry have) does not contribute to defenders' siege rolls. In one of my savegames, Massilia is besieged and the defenders include 2 Palace Guards and 6 Skirmishers with Siege Resist values. There are also 5 Regular Infantry with a Siege Value, but the defending units' total contribution to the defense roll is only 8.

Post Reply

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”