The Game doesn't understand the four colour theorem

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

julianbarker
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

The Game doesn't understand the four colour theorem

Post by julianbarker » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:02 pm

The game doesn't seem to understand the need to map using the Four Colour Theorem (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_color_theorem). Massilia, Arverni and Galli are all the same colour of brown in my current game when the political view is chosen making the political view useless.

In this attached example, the Arverni have just become Massilia clients. Up until then they were the same colour as Galli and Massilia.

13obo
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: The Game doesn't understand the four colour theorem

Post by 13obo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:42 am

Four Colour theorem applied to the game would mean nations would change colours constantly, which is not something desirable. I do agree that some work could be done on the current colouring though...

LDiCesare
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by LDiCesare » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:42 am

Also, that theorem is valid for contiguous regions.
In this game, countries are often not connex at all. It's common to have a bit of Carthage here and there on the map, not connected to the rest.
Thus, the theorem cannot apply to this game.
But yes, there should be options to customise at least some country colors in order to be able to distinguish neighbours.

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:42 am

Really, be my guest :D

You'll see that this is not obvious to find better coloring for nations, if you take into consideration:
a) possible areas of expansions
b) new nations emerging in the vicinity
c) that colors are not opaque but translucid (so 2 colors that should be different ends up too close chromatically speaking)
d) some nations had an "historical" color associated to them (Rome & red, etc.)
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

LDiCesare
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by LDiCesare » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:34 am

A solution to the color problem is to allow the player to change the hue of their own nation and mayeb of any other nation, using a color selector. That way if I want to have Pontus appear blue because I'm Athens and we're both white but we share a border (as Dacia I always have a brown neighbour, etc.), I could do it.
Another option is to add borders of a different color to the shader, so for example the inner color of the province is white but the border is grey or red... that way each nation is defined by a core (center) color and a border color, which means you have much more space for making them unique.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”