Interview with Philippe, Lead Designer of FOG Empires

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

JeanNRA
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Interview with Philippe, Lead Designer of FOG Empires

Post by JeanNRA » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:28 pm

Greetings

I wanted to let everyone know that we did an interview with the Game Designer of Field of Glory Empires, Philippe Malacher. We dived into the history and evolution of AGEOD, its new engine and into the heart of their new game.

Special thank you to Philippe, his passion and dedication is the reason we LOVE interviewing developers.

If you guys are interested you can listen to it here:

Streamer (Web Player) https://www.spreaker.com/user/single_malt_strategy

Apple Podcasts https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/sin ... 80371?mt=2

PlayerFM https://player.fm/series/single-malt-strategy

Spotify https://open.spotify.com/show/2YMkUR638whzsK2QD19RjW

Bivox
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Interview with Philippe, Lead Designer of FOG Empires

Post by Bivox » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:45 am

YouTube?. Please .

Zardoz02
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Zardoz02 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:53 am

Bivox wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:45 am
YouTube?. Please .
no problemo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6BVzQk8Jz4

Bivox
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Bivox » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:09 pm

thanks.

vakarr
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by vakarr » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:01 pm

Have you done one with Richard as well?

FrenchDude
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by FrenchDude » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:22 am

It’s the first time I’ve been hearing one of your interviews and it was very interesting to understand the history of AGEOD and the way FOGE was designed. It was a long interview but interesting from the beginning to the end !

Edit : You should definitively try to do one with RBS, the FOG2 developper, would be awesome, i’m sure he’s got plenty of interesting stuff to tell

edb1815
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by edb1815 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:50 pm

FrenchDude wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:22 am
It’s the first time I’ve been hearing one of your interviews and it was very interesting to understand the history of AGEOD and the way FOGE was designed. It was a long interview but interesting from the beginning to the end !

Edit : You should definitively try to do one with RBS, the FOG2 developper, would be awesome, i’m sure he’s got plenty of interesting stuff to tell
Yes and don't forget his (RBS) work on table top miniatures games including FOG.

georgioz
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by georgioz » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:03 pm

A lovely interview. Some remarks for those who did not have time to listen to it:

- The integration of FoG II came up after the project started during Slytherine conference. It is not planned to combine the games however the interaction is easy enough to maintain so there will be cooperation in the future. Adding sieges in the future was one thing mentioned.

- This is the first time AGEOD worked with the new Slytherine engine. The game was selected as the first project to develop codebase necessary for future. In that sense we can look forward to more things coming.

- Speaking if future things, the diplomacy is going to be improved for sure. There were some other things mentioned - such as cavalry tweaks. There are more unmentioned ideas considered that may potentially account for full DLC - if there is enough interest from playerbase.

- There were some other nice stories told around how some of the game mechanics such as CDR were concieved, some history of the studio as well as section about Imperator:Rome.

Overall a nice and funny interview. Check it out ic you have an hour or so while commuting or so.

jhornborg
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by jhornborg » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:15 pm

georgioz wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:03 pm
- The integration of FoG II came up after the project started during Slytherine conference. It is not planned to combine the games however the interaction is easy enough to maintain so there will be cooperation in the future. Adding sieges in the future was one thing mentioned.
Why would they call the game Field of Glory if it wasn't intended to be related to the battle game.

OldSarge
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by OldSarge » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:50 pm

I've been a longtime player of AGEOD titles and I think this is the first time that I've heard Philippe being interviewed. It is funny that it takes a French company to produce an excellent strategy game on the American Revolutionary war ( with scenarios for the War of 1812 and French Indian wars) and the American Civil war.

I for one am glad there is integration between FOG:E and FOG2. There are some battles that you really want to play out, particularly when the odds are against you. The flexibility of choosing between in game battle resolution or getting into gear and playing it out in FOG2 is fantastic!
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”