Is the decadence mechanism need a bit of tweaking?

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

pnoff
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: Is the decadence mechanism need a bit of tweaking?

Post by pnoff » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:56 pm

Pocus wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:18 pm
If you never move out of stable, then you get a cumulative +3% decadence from govt age per turn...
Fimconte wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:35 pm
^ what Fimconte said. Maybe we are not playing long enough? When does it kick in then?

pnoff

Post by pnoff » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:10 pm

Bump.

Could somebody, please, weight in on the decadence from age at stable government question?

In all my testing I get negative decadence from being stable, but I only have MP games running currently, so I can't test very late turns.

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:24 pm

That's in status age penalty.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

pnoff

Post by pnoff » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:58 pm

Pocus wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:24 pm
That's in status age penalty.
Sorry, Pocus, but I still don't understand ;( ;( ;( (no crying smile? this forum is literally unusable! :lol: )

Here are two screenshots where AI Belgium has 0 Status age decadence at age 35 and It does not seem to be increasing, definitely not by 3% per year.

I think I got your idea and I want it to work this way, but I don't see it currently happening.

This is the same trick that shockk (https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 34&t=93251) was using in his WC, otherwise he would have blown up (see him referencing ''to avoid being glorious'')

upd. I confirmed with shockk that he had no decadence from status age forever. This might be a serious bug.
dec1.jpg
dec1.jpg (219.34 KiB) Viewed 485 times
dec2.jpg
dec2.jpg (145.84 KiB) Viewed 485 times
Last edited by pnoff on Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

13obo
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by 13obo » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:09 pm

I think the "government age" modifier should influence your decadence at every status of your kingdom but at varying levels. For example 25% of current age at young, 50% at stable and 100% at glorious/old/decadent. The "government age" could also then be renamed to be more descriptive of what it does- something like "corruption factor"?

Hand in hand, another tweak that could be then done is to make the age reduction mechanic between kingdom statuses more pronounced - say increase from 50% reduction of age to 60%? This would encourage people to more actively transition through cycles to avoid the "corruption factor" accumulating too much.

pnoff

Post by pnoff » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:06 am

Sorry guys but I want to bump it agaim. Could more people, please, confirm or deny that you don't get decadence from status age when stable?

That would contradict
Pocus wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:18 pm
If you never move out of stable, then you get a cumulative +3% decadence from govt age per turn...
and if this is a bug I hope it will be fixed next patch to make the game unique as it should be.

(Ye ye, I don't need to exploit this thing, but I hate gimping myself, especially now that I play only MP)

loki100
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by loki100 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:38 am

the point is that your govt age increases when you are stable, it just doesn't translate to decadence then. In the same way that Macedon/Antigonus have their very specific rules for ageing.

but if you shift to glorious (or old etc) then all that hits you. In my last game the AI Carthage and Rome clearly got stuck in a cycle. They would progress to glorious, and then clearly run into major decadence as they would slip to old/decadent and then return to stable.

Second point, there is a discussion earlier in this thread about not building the loyalty+decadence buildings. Just to say I really think that is a mistake. it makes it so much easier to managed a late game empire with large cities, also even building circuses and gladiators, this is my final decadence chart (T500):

In effect 3% of my per turn decadence came off a lot of decadence producing buildings - the value looks scary but is actually pretty meaningless across your entire Empire

I had 150 regions, see:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 63&t=92849

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:17 am

My bad, in stable, government age don't add up on Decadence ...
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

pnoff

Post by pnoff » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:01 am

Pocus wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:17 am
My bad, in stable, government age don't add up on Decadence ...
Thanks for clearing this up!

I still think I would want to ride forever stable choo choo train, expecially when economy becomes more important.

Thanks loki100 for linking your AAR, that was a great read!

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”