Field of Diplomacy: A New World Order

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Geffalrus
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Field of Diplomacy: A New World Order

Post by Geffalrus »

Hello All! The last Field of Diplomacy game I hosted ended up being quite the spirited affair with some very interesting twists and turns. Ultimately, the game was decided by a powerful alliance of the Antigonids (me) and Macedon (pnoff) agreeing to cooperate and jump on Epirus (Morbio) and Rome (devoncop). The Seleucids (jimwinsor) headed off east, and the Ptolemies (Rufus) south, leaving only Carthage (ledo) and Lysimakos (desertedfox) to try and face the Evil Alliance directly. The game itself is still ongoing, but Epirus is long dead, Rome is in Antigonid hands, Macedon is running rampant in the Balkans, and the Lysimachid client states in Anatolia are not long for this world. As such, this new match is an offshoot of the older game where lessons learned can be applied ASAP, and new strategies developed.

Miscellaneous Rules:

- Difficulty dropped back to Standard since Experienced was a bit too brutal and distracted from the inherent balance between players.
- Turn time upped to 36 hours to be a bit more forgiving of player schedules.
- Priority will be given to players from the previous game, but new players are welcome so long as they familiarize themselves with the previous game discussion thread. :wink:

Open Nations:

Major Powers
- The Antigonids - Nijis the Brave
- The Seleucids - Jagger the Bold
- The Ptolemies - 13obo the Voyeur
- Macedon - SpeedyCM the Slow
- Lysimakos - devoncop the Vigilant
- Rome - Pnoff the Thirsty
- Carthage - Ledo the Talkative

Minor Powers
- Pontus - Wulfburk the New
- Armenia........Jimwinsor the Mighty
- Sparta.........PJL1973 the Enigmatic
- Arverni - maybe
- Arabia - maybe
- Dacia - Morbio the Wise
- Nubia - Marvin the Wanderer
- Iberians - Rufus the Distant
- Sarmatia - chb75 the Equestrian

Potentials
- Syracuse.......uncomfortably close to Carthage and Roman expansion with no way out
- Saka.........can really only threaten the Seleucids, but less restricted than Maurya
- Celticii.........perhaps the only Celtic power that slow down Rome in Italy

Issue with Potentials is whether or not they have enough early game presence to realistically participate in Diplomacy. Diplomatic viability requires some ability to get involved militarily, preferably with more than just one other human power. A lot of the potentials really only threaten one major power. So there would be - some - benefit diplomatically from them being human instead of AI, but not as much as the minor powers. This is where initial discussion should be focused. That's all I'll say for now.

Please post your interest, any availability issues in the next two weeks, and preferred faction. Early diplomatic discussion of both public and private varieties is heavily encouraged for ALL players. :)
Last edited by Geffalrus on Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:08 pm, edited 9 times in total.
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
ledo
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Field of Diplomacy: A New World Order

Post by ledo »

I kind of want to play Carthage again, so I'll put down for that, but if someone else from the previous game wants it I'm happy to choose another nation.

As for potentials I'd say Dacia and Syracuse are the most likely to be interesting, even if the latter is short-lived.
pnoff
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by pnoff »

Can I be Rome, please :roll:
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Put me down for Ptolemy, but I'll play only after the new patch. So if someone wants to take them, give them priority.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Why am I the Voyeur? Mind you, I am not rejecting the title... Just curious how I deserved it.
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

13obo wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:27 pm Why am I the Voyeur? Mind you, I am not rejecting the title... Just curious how I deserved it.
The games we've played together, it's felt like you're always watching and commenting, but for a variety of reason are not directly involved in the fighting at hand. Seemed a thin enough thread for a creative nickname. :wink:

Make no mistake, though, you're gonna be more in the center this time around. See what you're made of.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

I like to play the underdog, but am starting to realise that underdogs with human players around will be underdogs for much longer than in single player. Keep the nickname please!
SpeedyCM
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by SpeedyCM »

I wouldn't mind having a go in this one.

Preferably as Macedon or Lysimakos.
Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Morbio »

I'll take the advice that was offered, and I ignored, before the last game.. put me down for Dacia.

I like the challenge of the smaller countries... hopefully I'm smarter and wiser to last a little longer now.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

I will take on the tricky task of keeping Lysimakos alive beyond infanthood if available. :D
Wulfburk
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Wulfburk »

I'll play Pontus!
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

I'm not interested in being one of the majors. I already have games as Aetolia and Epirus. I might consider Athens, though I'm leaning Arabia at the moment. I'll wait for more players before I officially decide.

Also, what is up with me liking so many factions that start with A.........?
jimwinsor
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by jimwinsor »

I'll go minor this time too, and try my hand at Armenia. Will the other game be discontinued?
Streaming as "Grognerd" on Twitch! https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Seeing as there's a lot of interest for the game, put me in as permanent for Ptolemy please!

We are missing some important Diadochi..
MARVIN_THE_ARVN
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by MARVIN_THE_ARVN »

I'll be up for playing a minor as I might be away for a bit, stick me down as Epirus, Sparta or Nubia

Whatever you think will be needed
"I'll gladly trade you some ARVN rifles, never been fired and only dropped once"
ledo

Post by ledo »

MARVIN_THE_ARVN wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:48 pm I'll be up for playing a minor as I might be away for a bit, stick me down as Epirus, Sparta or Nubia

A greek player, or Epirus would both be interesting. Nubia might be slightly more sustainable, but is a bit of a Maurya, only really a problem for one player. Since this is a diplomacy game I think Sparta or Epirus would be good choices.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

MARVIN_THE_ARVN wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:48 pm I'll be up for playing a minor as I might be away for a bit, stick me down as Epirus, Sparta or Nubia

"Being away for a bit" as Epirus or Sparta is likely to mean you come back to find you have no nation given Greece tends to be such a snakepit !

Nubia is more sustainable I would argue or even the Saka.
ledo

Post by ledo »

devoncop wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:23 am

"Being away for a bit" as Epirus or Sparta is likely to mean you come back to find you have no nation given Greece tends to be such a snakepit !

Nubia is more sustainable I would argue or even the Saka.
That's true actually. Nubia is probably best. At least your ability to peace out with Ptolemy might make Ptolemy a little more stable and interesting, and war would give Ptolemy a fun and dangerous time, and you could be a player in Arabia, impacting the levant which is a bit of a hot spot.
MARVIN_THE_ARVN

Post by MARVIN_THE_ARVN »

Nubia sounds good, I wouldn't have minded coming back to a smoking ruin but sure, someone who could be a bit more responsive to events would make that area more interesting.
"I'll gladly trade you some ARVN rifles, never been fired and only dropped once"
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Ptolemy welcomes the arrival of the new wise Nubian king with great joy in his heart. I hope we will be able to seal a pact of mutual help and support for a thousand generations! Numerous gifts will start flowing in your treasury as soon as our calendar starts.

The previous Nubian leader was showing to be an aggressive troglodyte and with the IQ capacity of one too- I am sure your rule will be much less chaotic and directionless.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”