Idle, should players be auto kicked from the game?

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

MARVIN_THE_ARVN
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Idle, should players be auto kicked from the game?

Post by MARVIN_THE_ARVN » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:40 am

Possibly, we all get that people miss turns but I think its fair to say that a fair chunk of those idle are long term idle and are not coming back yet they will never officially leave and the game will continue on and on.

A combination of the simple/limited chat system and players not bothering to say they are leaving or actually leaving isn't helping.
"I'll gladly trade you some ARVN rifles, never been fired and only dropped once"

Wulfburk
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Wulfburk » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:48 pm

Some people just bail on FOG E altogether (which isnt that surprising, few games i keep playing for months), while others are still playing i imagine, but are too lazy to get in each MP match and surrender, as they'd have to wait the turn resolution and so on..

Maybe what we need is a surrender option from the lobby menu..

13obo
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by 13obo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:55 pm

I'm not very sure what goal we're trying to achieve here?

To my knowledge, the current implementation of marking inactive players as "idle", has no gameplay difference to the remaining players if the inactive player had "surrendered" or were kicked (other than the possibility that an idle player eventually returns). The idle player's nation ends up being managed by the AI in all of the cases, so the remaining players do not feel any impact other than how this is represented in the lobby.

The solutions that are floated in the topic all involve development work for something that eventually may not lead to an improvement in the game. Also, I would wager that most people (like me) would like to keep the option to return to their games even if a substantial amount of time has passed.

MARVIN_THE_ARVN

Post by MARVIN_THE_ARVN » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:16 pm

I think the game cannot end until everyone has left, or so that is the impression I have.

I'm in a game that started with 6 players, 2 must have used the surrender option, 2 just stopped playing and are classed as idle, I spoke to the otehr who decided that as he was the client of one of the idle players he was leaving and that has now left me as the only active player out of 4 (The other 3 being idle). How will this game ever end? Do I have to play it to turn 500, having to upload each turn but playing a single player game or wait until I have enough legacy points to win outright?

I just don't see the point of a multiplayer game continuing once every human player has stopped playing or left the game.

It appears to me that no-one thought through the, how does a game actually end in multiplayer, I mean, if I was the last person it would be great if it became a single player game so I can next turn it through at speed.

Lets call it closure and the ending of a multiplayer game, I'm almost certain that I have no completed multiplayer games since the game was released and thats all I really play (145 hours on steam).
"I'll gladly trade you some ARVN rifles, never been fired and only dropped once"

13obo
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by 13obo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:36 pm

Why not just surrender as well? You don't win anything if you stick till the end.

MARVIN_THE_ARVN

Post by MARVIN_THE_ARVN » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:53 pm

I can and will most likely do that but it just feels like a poor way to end a game, i.e. it didnt end, I just stopped playing, especially when you play 100+ turns. It feels a bit unfinished to me.

Of interest, without an active player do the games still play or do they end?

Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Morbio » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:32 pm

The AI playing absent players is essential for the game to be viable. Who is to say how long a player may be absent before removing them? Many people have 2 or 3 week holidays, some people travel with work, or become ill for weeks or months.

I think the correct solution, which relies on people doing the right thing, is for people to surrender if they aren't coming back.

MARVIN_THE_ARVN

Post by MARVIN_THE_ARVN » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:15 pm

Morbio, sadly that isn't happening and I doubt it ever will.

Sure, I get people go away etc, I recently did, 2-3 weeks but if you set it to auto kick them at 20 turns that would probably give them 15-20 days at the fastest speed.

Tanaka
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Tanaka » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:53 pm

So if you see a bunch of idle players in your game does that mean lots of people have quit?

lostangelonline
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by lostangelonline » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:38 pm

Tanaka wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:53 pm
So if you see a bunch of idle players in your game does that mean lots of people have quit?
Unfortunately, more often than not, you can consider so, yes. It actually means those players missed the turn limit and the AI moved for them. If the players return to the game, they will continue to have the challenges in the MP list, and can continue to play the game, but I personally never saw an idle player had the -idle tag removed.
Maker of "Realistic Stone Age" DoM mod

ess1
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by ess1 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:03 pm

I will be away for six weeks from end of Dec. I notified players of my game early on. To date no objections.

We shall see.

Hendricus

Post by Hendricus » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:18 am

Keep idle players in the game, perhaps they return.

poesel71
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by poesel71 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:09 pm

IMHO there should be no auto-kick for idle players. As others have said, they may come back.

But there should be a 'vote-to-kick' option for when you want to replace an idle player with another. If a mayor power goes AWOL that may spoil the whole game. Since MP games are quite an investment in time everything should be done to keep them running.

While we are at it: 'Invite' and 'Resign' would also be quite nice. Thus making it possible to add a player to a running game and to switch factions (first resigning, then invite). If the kick & invite options are connected with a majority vote I guess that would be ok with everyone.

lostangelonline
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by lostangelonline » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:11 pm

Personally, the first thing i would change to improve MP is for players to become idle after first missed time limit, so that active players will not wait more than once for a player that (basically) never becomes active after first missed deadline. Especially for longer deadlines, like the 7 days turn limit challenge I started and deeply regret.
poesel71 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:09 pm
Thus making it possible to add a player to a running game and to switch factions
I wanted to add that changing an idle player with a new player will still feel like a different playing stile, just like when AI takes over, so it might not be much better than how it is now (with AI only; and it would be easier and recommendable to just make a better AI)

BUT, this just gave me this idea: add a new type of challenge where players are automatically assigned to a new random nation when the ruler dies (basically players play the ruler/government, making it even more realistic). Entirely new players can join all the time, and there are basically no idle players. And you could actually have 70+ real never-idle players in one huge MP game. What do you guys say?

EDIT: another idea: remove idle players entirely and challenge goes back to New Challenges screen for a new player (or same player) to be able to choose only the vacant nation. Result: no more idle players, or AI take-overs, but longer turn limits when players become idle and are kicked out. (Or even better: when you create a new challenge, you also choose which nations must be played by humans, and never by AI, and if they become idle, challenge goes back to New Challenges screen and wait for someone to continue with that nation)
Maker of "Realistic Stone Age" DoM mod

Hendricus

Post by Hendricus » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:25 pm

Replacing idle and dead leaders with random players and commands sounds great. Get a command you don't like, surrender and try again. Wiped out, return for revenge. Civil wars can get players as leaders too.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”