Objective expiration

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Jagger2002
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Objective expiration

Post by Jagger2002 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:32 am

Is there any way to determine the turn in which an objective will expire and be replaced by another objective region?

sage3
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Objective expiration

Post by sage3 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:27 pm

I agree. This is super annoying when I go through lots of long strategic planning and orienting to grab an objective, and have it suddenly snatched away.

jimwinsor
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by jimwinsor » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:28 pm

I'm going to dissent. Objectives come from the whim of your ruler, and rulers can be a fickle lot. So it's immersive, plus I like the gameplay aspect of occasionally having to shift strategy on short notice, it's a nice challenge having to adapt.
Streaming as "Grognerd" on Twitch! https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

jimwinsor

Post by jimwinsor » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:31 pm

I should add though, recent patches have made it less cruel ... you wont lose an objective in an adjacent region now, IIRC.
Streaming as "Grognerd" on Twitch! https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

Seamus
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Seamus » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:06 am

jimwinsor wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:28 pm
I'm going to dissent. Objectives come from the whim of your ruler, and rulers can be a fickle lot. So it's immersive, plus I like the gameplay aspect of occasionally having to shift strategy on short notice, it's a nice challenge having to adapt.
I agree. And especially if the effect is: objectives in regions adjacent to home NEVER expire (or nearly never); objectives in regions one region away take a long time; objectives in regions two regions away still take a good while but might eventually expire; and so on.

Also: it seems to me that, depending on the culture, and past events, some objectives should never expire no matter how far away they are and no matter how long. As an example, once the equivalent of Rome gaining a foothold on Sicily is accomplished Carthage should more or less ALWAYS have an objective to take it back (as well as any other strategic punitive objectives).

Likewise: once Rome suffers the tragedies of 218 through 216 BC (Trebia, Trasimene, Cannae, but in-game some analogous equivalent), some key Carthaginian objectives should never expire.

I'm sure there must be other "Unending Rivalry" type dynamics between plenty of the dyads in the game.

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:38 pm

sage3 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:27 pm
I agree. This is super annoying when I go through lots of long strategic planning and orienting to grab an objective, and have it suddenly snatched away.
In the latest beta patch, an objective, even if it is old enough to be phased out, won't be if you are adjacent to it. So you should not get anymore the 'snatched just before my eyes' feeling from that...
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

poesel71
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by poesel71 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:37 pm

What does 'adjacent' mean here? 'Have a province' adjacent or 'have an army' adjacent?

sage3
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by sage3 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:11 pm

Pocus wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:38 pm
sage3 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:27 pm
In the latest beta patch, an objective, even if it is old enough to be phased out, won't be if you are adjacent to it. So you should not get anymore the 'snatched just before my eyes' feeling from that...
Thanks -- now that you mentioned it, I've noticed that it hasn't been bothering me in the same way it did previously, probably due to this change.

Jagger2002

Post by Jagger2002 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:54 pm

I would like to know when, what turn, an objective is going to expire.

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:21 pm

poesel71 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:37 pm
What does 'adjacent' mean here? 'Have a province' adjacent or 'have an army' adjacent?
Region adjacent

I'll make a note to add in a tooltip when an objective will expire, that's a reasonable request.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”