Requested Feature - Nation Leader Removal

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

MARVIN_THE_ARVN
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Requested Feature - Nation Leader Removal

Post by MARVIN_THE_ARVN » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:55 am

Hey Pocus, Dev team,

I've noticed in a couple of my play throughs that I occasionally ended up with an absolute monster as a leader and it would be quite fun to try ad get rid of this person.

If we could have a couple of options to get rid this would be great.

For example -

1-Foment a coup - Depending on how low unrest is have a chance to succeed in removing the leader but never make it highly likely as if someone games the system by dropping stability it might not work. Total success results in leader change, maybe changes the Govt type, partial success creates a civil war but the old leader is removed, failure results in the leader staying and creates a negative nation modifier.

2-Assassinate - Again, use unrest. Total success removes the leader, partial wounds the leader and could reduce the health of the individual but creates a nationwide oppression modifier, failure keeps the leader and creates a negative nation wide modifier.

I'm sure we cold come up with more options but something to think about.
"I'll gladly trade you some ARVN rifles, never been fired and only dropped once"

Will_L
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Requested Feature - Nation Leader Removal

Post by Will_L » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:22 am

Thoroughly incompetent leaders should be immune to assassination because of the opportunities their incompetence provides for others to enrich themselves at the expense of that leader. Surely those people would be looking to keep their cash cow/golden goose hale and hearty :wink:

MARVIN_THE_ARVN

Post by MARVIN_THE_ARVN » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:44 am

On that note, you could modify the chance of success by personal traits
"I'll gladly trade you some ARVN rifles, never been fired and only dropped once"

stuart3
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by stuart3 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:54 am

It would be a major change to the game. But if it happens, if you are given the option to plot against your faction's leader, then why not also have the option of choosing which leader or side to support during a civil war?

desertedfox
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by desertedfox » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:48 am

I think historically that leaders that were removed from office, by whatever means, the numbers most likely indicate good leaders were removed in a similar proportion to bad leaders.

Your proposal is that you just wanna get rid of a bad leader in the hopes of getting a better one.

MARVIN_THE_ARVN

Post by MARVIN_THE_ARVN » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:35 am

Sure, why not provide a list of leaders to take over, maybe the more democratic the nation, the more options?

No, you could try it on all leaders.

Its just that a leader with a lot of negative traits would be easier to take out, those who are mixed or mostly positive would be hard.

I'm also advocating that this attempt is risky, success should at best be 66%ish (A nation with high unrest, leader has strong negative traits) and most likely below 50% and well below 33% for a stable nation with a mixed traits leader, any failure will create a nation wide penalty to loyalty, production, whatever.

For me, (Maybe not others) this will allow a bit more of player interaction and story rather than just seeing a random message pop up every so often with a leader change or death for coup or assassination with no build up or reasoning. Unless, I'm missing some hidden mechanic regarding those.

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:45 pm

Currently your only possibility is to be decadent, it up significantly the chance of an early demise. With some originality in the cause of death also!

Actually, a way to get rid of a ruler or general was somehow planned in the list of original regional decisions for the DLC but I got side tracked in adding others (like the one that might recreate a disappeared nation!) ... perhaps in a patch?
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

MARVIN_THE_ARVN

Post by MARVIN_THE_ARVN » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:54 pm

Cheers for the answer Pocus

:lol: Get decadence on max and have them die via some drug fueled orgy, worse ways to go

Sure, this isn't a make or break thing, just a nice bit of flavour/story and maybe a decision to make here and there. It is something I'd like to see, as would bringing back friendly nations.

Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Morbio » Fri May 01, 2020 12:44 pm

Personally, while I get frustrated with bad leaders, I find it adds an interesting challenge to the game. If these bad leaders could be removed at will then it would make the game a lot easier and less interesting.

I vote against it, I think the balance is great as it is.

MARVIN_THE_ARVN

Post by MARVIN_THE_ARVN » Fri May 01, 2020 1:56 pm

I may not have been as clear as I think I was in my previous postings but this should not be certain and with some significant risk, so removed at will is not exactly what I am looking for either.

USGrant1962
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by USGrant1962 » Wed May 06, 2020 11:50 pm

Who exactly is cooking up this plot to remove the leader? You are the leader!

MARVIN_THE_ARVN

Post by MARVIN_THE_ARVN » Thu May 07, 2020 5:57 pm

Are we?

Considering the game lasts hundreds of years and you have far more control over matters in the nation that most leaders could, especially wars, I see myself as a cabal of interested parties leading the nation from the sidelines.

travling_canuck
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by travling_canuck » Thu May 07, 2020 7:28 pm

USGrant1962 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:50 pm
Who exactly is cooking up this plot to remove the leader? You are the leader!
Nope. Not me. I'm just the guy who takes my Leader's declared objectives, looks at the map, shakes my head, and tries to figure out how to sensible absorb one or more of them.

Occasionally I'm the guy swearing at my Leader when I've negotiated a treaty to acquire one of his objectives, and in the turn while I'm waiting for the treaty to be finalized, my Leader changes his mind about that being an objective after all.

Very occasionally I'm the guy sneaking a trade proposal past my Leader to trade away one of his objectives in return for some useless trinkets, though as often as not it seems like I then have to explain to our trading partner why my Leader made the same region his objective again the very next turn. Fortunately, my trading partners have very bad memories and don't seem to mind this bait-and-switch.

More seriously, I'm not personally interested in a mechanic to eliminate bad leaders, but as long as it's a voluntary decision, I also don't have a problem with it being in the game. If the AI can use the mechanic well, all the better, as the AI needs all the help it can get.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”