Vinetia invincible?

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Pectus2
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Vinetia invincible?

Post by Pectus2 » Sun May 10, 2020 6:54 pm

I am playing successfully as Etrusker and have Venetia surrounded from all sides and the Sea.
When I attack the Boii in Venetia (there only province) I can not even harm any of the defenders. Even when I attack from all sides with the maximum of troops, the surrounding provinces can support, and additionally from the Sea. My attacking armies are hand selected for swamp warfare but I can not even harm any of the defenders. I play on difficulty easy! I am almost the biggest empire on the map and I can not subdue the tiny tribe of Boii with any effort or trick? What is wrong here?

poesel71
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Vinetia invincible?

Post by poesel71 » Mon May 11, 2020 4:31 pm

Just wait until they starve or buy them out.

Will_L
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Will_L » Wed May 13, 2020 11:36 pm

Attack when the swamp is frozen.

loki100
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by loki100 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:41 am

Pectus2 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:54 pm
. Even when I attack from all sides with the maximum of troops, the surrounding provinces can support, and additionally from the Sea. My attacking armies are hand selected for swamp warfare but I can not even harm any of the defenders. I play on difficulty easy! .... What is wrong here?
ok, as others above have noted this is a tricky region to take. Frozen ground may help, an army composed of medium infantry and lots of skirmishers with archers (recruit them from one of your other provinces) may give you the army you need.

but, you are making a core mistake if the above is your approach.

Assuming the armies arrive at the same impulse (there maybe small variations depending on the road network) what happens is one is chosen to be the army that fights the battle and the others are 'merged' with that army (temporarily) for the battle. Now that means all their units take a -1 on experience level and fight a lot worse as a result. So you are chucking away combat power.

So form up an army optimised for the task. Review your provincial units for any that may be particularly good in this terrain. Have a look over your list of generals, does one have the trait(s) that are particularly useful. Use one army, give it a turn to form up before attacking.

You may still fail - its a tricky region to take when well defended - but you'll do better. Now if you have a fresh second army, launch that the next turn, the enemy may be struggling to repair the combat damage from the previous turn (at best they will regain one level of losses), so some of their units will be weaker - you may even manage to kill some of them off.

Repeat if needed - but don't use multiple armies in one turn, instead if you have that sort of combat power, use your armies sequentially to keep the enemy from repairing while you are always using fresh troops.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”