Winkling out Macedonians???

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Bombax
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Winkling out Macedonians???

Post by Bombax »

Sorry if the answer to this is obvious, but I haven't found it yet so I thought I'd ask on here!

I'm playing the Romans, and we've more or less annihilated the Macedonians. I say "more or less", because the last few Macedonian military units have managed to hole up - with their Pergamum allies - on the island of Lesbos. So formally speaking the Macedonians are still in the game, and in fact their score has gone up as they're lying doggo. So far all my efforts to prise them off the island by landing troops, laying seige, and/or assaulting the defences have failed. Have I missed a trick here? Because as things stand, they look unassailable!

Thanks in advance for any tips you folks can give.

Stay well and safe!
Best wishes,
Jay
Gray Fox
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Re: Winkling out Macedonians???

Post by Gray Fox »

If "their score has gone up", then they must have a region still generating Legacy, if that is what you mean by score. Go to the Ledger icon and click "Legacy". If Macedonia has a Legacy total, but all other columns are zeroes, then they have been annihilated "most". They should eventually make a peace offering, which you can reject. Then they will no longer exist. If this is not the case, go to Factions and check Macedonia. It should list how many regions they still have and if you click on Macedonia in the list it will move the screen beneath to their current Capital.

If you mean that Lesbos is Macedonian and not their ally's, then you need a fleet to control Smyrnaeum Sinus, the sea region that is the exit to Lesbos' harbor and also lay siege to the region. The siege army needs units with the "Sieger" trait to cause damage to the defenders. They will slowly take hits from this or starve from the blockade. You'll also need to rotate fleets in and out to feed your siege army. Laying siege to an island is serious business. Good luck!
For new players: Grand Strategy AAR and Steam Guide: Tips for new players
Samstra's Trade guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1805684085
Bombax

Post by Bombax »

Gray Fox wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:44 pm If "their score has gone up", then they must have a region still generating Legacy, if that is what you mean by score. Go to the Ledger icon and click "Legacy". If Macedonia has a Legacy total, but all other columns are zeroes, then they have been annihilated "most". They should eventually make a peace offering, which you can reject. Then they will no longer exist. If this is not the case, go to Factions and check Macedonia. It should list how many regions they still have and if you click on Macedonia in the list it will move the screen beneath to their current Capital.

If you mean that Lesbos is Macedonian and not their ally's, then you need a fleet to control Smyrnaeum Sinus, the sea region that is the exit to Lesbos' harbor and also lay siege to the region. The siege army needs units with the "Sieger" trait to cause damage to the defenders. They will slowly take hits from this or starve from the blockade. You'll also need to rotate fleets in and out to feed your siege army. Laying siege to an island is serious business. Good luck!
Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed reply, it's been extremely helpful. It turns out that I'd simply missed the fact that Macedonia had established a small colony so actually still had one region left when I thought I'd taken them all down. So much for my observational skills! The info you've provided about using the Ledger/Legacy and Factions screens was particularly useful.
Cheers,
Jay.
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

As for the issue of reducing their legacy, if this is one in your game, then you can humiliate them during a peace treaty, to siphon some of their score. In the companion patch to the DLC, there will be another possibility: an inactive nation loses 1% of its legacy per turn. It seems not much, but in certain cases it should hasten victory by a good number of turns.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
Bombax

Post by Bombax »

Thanks Pocus! :)

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”