Persia - playing as Rhodes - quite slow

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Southern Hunter
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Persia - playing as Rhodes - quite slow

Post by Southern Hunter » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:19 pm

Not a complaint but a note. Playing as Rhodes, it is extremely slow to build up to the point where you can challenge almost anyone. Not saying this is wrong, but apart from building up some colonies, just can't get the pops and resources to build an army to take out even Crete. 100+ turns so far, and still looking forward to maybe owning a region :P

Am I missing a quick shortcut to greatness?

Surt
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Persia - playing as Rhodes - quite slow

Post by Surt » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:25 pm

Haven't tried a once province nation yet, but Finding easy victims like revolting regions, unclaimed regions, regions of larger powers that are losing their other wars would be prime targets.
Also going for a unlimited unrestricted pop build up seems like a must if none of the other options are going well. This should give you the money and manpower to attack someone.

Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:36 am

If you want to speed up thing, forget maintaining a standing army of appreciable size for many turns. What you should do is alternate between a cheap army, used only for defense, and a relatively powerful mercenary army, for offense and expansion. You can and should 'burst-recruit' mercenaries when you feel you have enough gold to sustain a 6-turns campaign. Use this time to conquer some regions, then once done, disband, rebuild, and wait again.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

Gray Fox
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Gray Fox » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:57 pm

This AAR is not from the Persia DLC, but may be of some help.

viewtopic.php?f=563&t=96457
For new players: Grand Strategy AAR and Steam Guide: Tips for new players

Southern Hunter

Post by Southern Hunter » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:56 am

Gray Fox wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:57 pm
This AAR is not from the Persia DLC, but may be of some help.

viewtopic.php?f=563&t=96457
I have played Rhodus in the original campaign and had no problem. The Persia campaign is a whole different kettle of fish in my experience.

Southern Hunter

Post by Southern Hunter » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:58 am

Pocus wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:36 am
If you want to speed up thing, forget maintaining a standing army of appreciable size for many turns. What you should do is alternate between a cheap army, used only for defense, and a relatively powerful mercenary army, for offense and expansion. You can and should 'burst-recruit' mercenaries when you feel you have enough gold to sustain a 6-turns campaign. Use this time to conquer some regions, then once done, disband, rebuild, and wait again.
I will have to restart and try this out I guess. I presume you keep a little bit of LI/LC as support troops then burst recruit mercs. Certainly my 'safe' way was not getting anywhere fast.

Gray Fox

Post by Gray Fox » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:47 pm

After you gain control of your starting province go to the steppes and get control of the provinces that make cataphracts and horse archers. Your army will rock. Good luck!
Attachments
Turn 11.jpg
Turn 11.jpg (637.01 KiB) Viewed 283 times
For new players: Grand Strategy AAR and Steam Guide: Tips for new players

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”