Scots Isles and Highlands

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

OldenTired
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Scots Isles and Highlands

Post by OldenTired » Sat May 23, 2009 9:30 am

I'm extremely tempted by this list. There's something about and army of Off.Sp and Bw*, Impact Foot that appeals.

But... I know little about C15th Scots.

Are we looking at "highlanders" in the kilt-wearing, claymore waving, no-undies variety? (I'm assuming we are).

And any recommendation for figures? I need *variety*. With 80 bases of foot to paint I'm going to need a quite a few distinct figures...

marshalney2000
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by marshalney2000 » Sat May 23, 2009 11:17 am

The kilt did not exist in this period being a much later invention. In practice the front rank would be the chieftans with their immediate kin and could have chainmail (similar to the Islemen) and be noticeably better armed than the rear ranks or humblies who would be lucky to muster a long sark (shirt),dirk and an axe. The beginings of the belted plaid would be there but in earthy hues and not with any family connection. It could be argued however than certain colours/ weaving trends in an area might give a form of conformity.
Hope this helps.
John

OldenTired

Post by OldenTired » Sat May 23, 2009 8:00 pm

thanks. i thought as much.

i'll likely mix in some kerns and maybe picts to get the dross represented.

Quintus
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Quintus » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:20 pm

I'm just starting to paint my Isles army. At the moment my Highlanders are soaking in white vinegar. Tomorrow I'll spray 'em black ready for painting. Can't wait.. :D

I can't see much tactical flexibility in the army but it's a romantic one.

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:27 pm

Quintus wrote:I can't see much tactical flexibility in the army but it's a romantic one.
Scottish is such a romantic accent, thats why

WhiteKnight
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by WhiteKnight » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:09 pm

I'M fairly sure these early Islemen and Highlanders would be speaking the Gaelic language. It doesn't sound too romantic to the untutored ear but you can try a listen for yourself as there is both a radio station or two and the tv channel BBC Alba that broadcasts in Gaelic.

Martin

DaiSho
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by DaiSho » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:33 am

The other's comments are quite well founded, and whilst they are correct that the kilt itself hadn't been invented yet at the scale you'd be using a 'kilt like' figure would be appropriate.

The Breacan an Fhéilidh may not necessarily have been born at the period you're talking (it was certainly up and in use by the 16th/17th century), but something similar to it would have been used, and the history of tartan is believed to go back to the Roman times.

'So You're Going to Wear the Kilt' http://www.amazon.com/So-youre-going-we ... 0862280176 is a great resource for some early well researched information. If the author is to be believed (and I have no reason to doubt him) the Romans referred to the inhabitants of the highlands as wearing 'striped cloaks'. His reasoning that it is indeed tartan is that there is no real word in Latin to describe tartan, and of course tartan is just one set of stripes layed at 90 degrees to the same set of stripes.

Be aware though that 'Clan Tartans' are not and ancient thing. There is some speculation that 'Clan Tartans' are a very recent invention. So, I would imagine each and every figure to be wearing a tartan of the set that was woven by their family the day they were weaving and different from the next day.

I think you'd be able to get away with using any kind of Norse/Norse Irish/Norman figure that is either partially armoured or not armoured at all and tartan your little heart out. Good luck with it though, I'd never bother trying to paint tartan, so it's all up to you - if you feel like it you've probably got enough historical evidence (or more properly lack of evidence against you) to go either way.

Hope this helps.

Ian

P.S. - I used the Scots Isles list whilst waiting for the Vikings. It's a tough little list!

Ian
Viking (15mm)
Syracusan (15mm)
Palmyran (10mm - 15mm basing)
Horse Nomad (15mm)

DaiSho

Post by DaiSho » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:36 am

philqw78 wrote:
Quintus wrote:I can't see much tactical flexibility in the army but it's a romantic one.
Scottish is such a romantic accent, thats why
And the best way to serenade your bonny wee lass is to strangle a cat :shock:
Viking (15mm)
Syracusan (15mm)
Palmyran (10mm - 15mm basing)
Horse Nomad (15mm)

Legionbuilder

Post by Legionbuilder » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:01 pm

Just take about 5 swigs of GOOD Scots WHiskey and ANY thing sounds good
Even my singing